Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Help - Where to start with Air Suspension Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tom Heath

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green
Help - Where to start with Air Suspension Problem

Hi Guys - Apologies if this is wrong place to post this - I'm new to the site. Apologies in advance for the long post.

I've had the normal occasional Air Suspension Inactive message which usually clears itself, and for the last few months, it's occasionally popped up an inch at the front when stopped at traffic lights, however...

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I had a rear end shunt about a month ago - the insurance wrote the car off CAT C due to the cost of the bumpers and lower tailgate (I was pushed into the car in front). Since buying it back and getting the car MOT'd, with second hand bumpers currently in the paintshop (no mechanical repairs needed at all), it started to sit about 1-2 inches lower on the OS rather than the NS, with some clunking of the suspension at the front. This was about 50% of the time. When everything was fine, no suspension noise at all. There was the occasional hissing noise coming from the drivers side wheel arch.

On Saturday, it decided to list the other way, 1-2 inches lower on the passenger side. After a short drive, the ECU decided to drop the NSF corner all the way into the wheel arch where it has stayed. There was a hissing coming from the Passenger front wheel arch while it was doing this. It now won't move at all..

I've checked the off road screen, and the OSF wheel has a red line flashing, and it appears to be correctly reading that the wheel is in the wheelarch, so it doesn't appear to be the height sensor. The pump is running fine, and the front drivers side suspension will cycle between low and normal, so there is definitely air in the tank. It had a new pressure sensor on the reservoir tank last year (after I stripped the tank off to paint it and dropped it on the old sensor Rolling Eyes ) There are no fault codes on the hidden service screen on the savnav.

Help Sad - where do I start? I'm reluctant to take it to a dealers and start paying for parts to be swapped out which may not be needed... A few starters for 10 would really help - even if it is checking other components are fine.

I'm wondering if there is a coincidence and 2 faults - a burst spring on the OSF, and then either a height sensor which may be on the way out causing the other issues?

Thanks - Tom

Post #431663 19th Mar 2017 9:42pm
Lukie

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

First of all what car is it we are talking about? Engine I don't think.makrs a different but years do

2002-2005 BMW

2005- onwards all Jag/Ford

Post #431676 19th Mar 2017 10:32pm
Joe90

England 

You don't say if the car will go to off road height?

Suggest go to off road height, then lift wheelarch and listen for hissing, you could also do the soapy water test on the air spring.

If it won't go to off road height and you get hissing from the FR, leak in air spring most likely.

Also best to get a diagnostic tool (e.g. All Comms or IIDTool) then you can check fault codes which will help identify the problem. Cheaper than a trip to the dealers! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #431677 19th Mar 2017 10:32pm
Tom Heath

Thanks for your comments guys
It's an 05 BMW 4.4l

For some reason it won't go to Off-Road Height, and even cycling between the low and normal heights, the NSF wheel stays exactly where it is - rammed up to the bumpstop in the wheelarch. I was going to try jacking it up tomorrow night and doing the soapy water to see if I could see anything.

I was looking that the GAP tool online - definately cheaper than a trip to the stealers, I was hoping to avoid a £400 cost if I could.

Post #431683 19th Mar 2017 10:48pm
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

+1 to Joe90's post.
I think owning your own diagnostics is a must with these cars

Post #431713 20th Mar 2017 8:52am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Easy enough to get your hand in to squeeze the air bag, it should be hard and not give. If its soft you have a leak, most probably the bag. I have just had to do mine, fitted the RH and whilst doing the job the left burst presumably as it was under more load than normal. Both mine had visible splits 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #431736 20th Mar 2017 12:05pm
Tom Heath

Thanks Wayne. I've just ordered a GAP Bluetooth diagnostic IID which should be here tomorrow.

Your description may explain why my bag burst - if that is what's happened. With the hide height up slightly on the NSF, it may have been putting too much pressure on the bag.

Im wondering if the NSF height sensor was starting to fail (the OSF was new), which may have been causing it to jump around...

I'll keep you posted once I've plugged the diagnostic tool in!

Post #431738 20th Mar 2017 12:29pm
proser

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

if you can jack up the body, for the wheel to drop, then it'll give you more room to check on the condition of the air spring. No need to wait for IIDTool to arrive for that Very Happy

If, as suggested, it's not solid (filled with air) then it's probably got a spit in it, or there's a break in the air pipe to it. Regards
Mark

2012 Westminster
GONE - 2007 Java Black FF Vogue, with Ivory interior

Post #431741 20th Mar 2017 12:35pm
Tom Heath

Ok - first part of the mystery solved.

Jacked the car up, grabbed the airbag and it was completely deflated. There is an inch long split in the bottom of the bag, and the rubber looks pretty perished and crazed.

Part one - solved...
Now to find the mystery of why it was deciding to lean over to one side in normal use!

Post #431833 20th Mar 2017 9:34pm
Joe90

England 

Replace the split bag, that will no doubt sort out part two, the system was probably seeking to compensate.....(unless you have a hole in the other side as well! Shocked

EDIT

It is recommended to replace both sides at once, in order that you upgrade the shock absorbers too. I know it costs more, but see the many posts of folks who replaced just one side, then the following week the other side goes pop.

Also recommended to go for original struts, Delphis, not the Dunlops - problems with top bearings. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #431858 20th Mar 2017 11:24pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Tom Heath wrote:
Ok - first part of the mystery solved.

Jacked the car up, grabbed the airbag and it was completely deflated. There is an inch long split in the bottom of the bag, and the rubber looks pretty perished and crazed.

Part one - solved...
Now to find the mystery of why it was deciding to lean over to one side in normal use!

If you unsure of the age of the other side, DO BOTH. 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #431864 21st Mar 2017 3:31am
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

It is most likely that your NSF airbag has a small hole in it, that the compressor cankeep up with inflating when on the move. The OSF airbag has obviously then let go, leading to the descent into the wheelarch.

I had a similar mystery last year with my NSF airbag leaking then both airbags letting rip totally and the same outcome as you. Always get both front airbags done at the same time and make sure they are Delphi Air Struts not the Dunlops. I got two from Island 4x4 for a good price (less than £300 for the pair) and I only got charged £100 by my local indy to get them fitted.

Post #431888 21st Mar 2017 1:33pm
jambo27

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

+ 1 for replacing the pair. Its not a big job to change them yourself. About 5 bolts and pull it out and put new one in. If you are going to do it yourself liverally spray all thr holding bolts with wd40 or suchlike the day before you need to remove them and have planty of weetabix for breakfast because the bolts can be incredibly tight but once undone it is a very quick change over. Took me 2 hrs to do one side due to sticking bolt and 1 hr for the other side including tea breaks Very Happy depending on age it may be worth changing ride height sensors as well. 2008 TDV8

Post #431891 21st Mar 2017 1:43pm
Tom Heath

Cheers Guys and thanks for the tips. I'm just waiting for a price back from Duckworths to compare, then will be ordering a pair. I've checked, and the OSF was replaced by the previous owner about 3 years ago, but I'm going for the pair as I don't know the state of the other one - or whether it was a cheap pattern part or a Delphi one.

I'm pretty nifty on the spanners, so shouldn't be a problem. My other car is a 66 Mustang Convertible which I restored ground up, including blueprinting and building a custom 302 V8 stroked to 352, giving out about 400hp. Changing a couple of struts should (I hope) be a piece of Censored compared!

Famous last words! Big Cry

Post #431894 21st Mar 2017 2:00pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If you aren't using the car in the meantime it would be worth getting the old ones out in anticipation. At least the four bottom bolts. That way you can determine whether the old bottom bolts are reusable as they are a b*****d to get out and often end up damaged.

Would give you the chance to order new ones if necessary. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #431897 21st Mar 2017 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>