Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Rise Of The Machines............
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
Rise Of The Machines............

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/make-us-safe...dium=email

Shocked Shocked 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #432273 23rd Mar 2017 4:02pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Interesting. I can't help but think, with what happened at Westminster and in Belgium in the last 24 hours, the government may want control of your car too.

Post #432345 23rd Mar 2017 8:28pm
Rob99

What worries me (assuming I ever have an autonomous car) is that MY car might think that MY life is worth less than someone else's. Shocked Shocked 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #432372 23rd Mar 2017 10:16pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

What worries me is this statement..

"Machines, by contrast, are consistent, calculating, and incapable of getting drunk, angry, or distracted."

Whistle they've never been near a ffrr, one of the most calculating vindictive misleading machines that I have ever come across.... just how many times have you been driving down the road without a care in the world, to have your world shattered by "BONG" Shocked

As long as LR stay out of the market we should be safe Laughing

Without doubt I would expect almost everyone to avoid hitting another person with their car, and in the split second do everything possible to avoid a collision.. I can see the problem arising when your car decides to mow a person down, rather than take risky avoidance action... I'm not sure that I would want to be sitting in that car.. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #432384 23rd Mar 2017 11:20pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Of the many issues surrounding autonomous vehicles, the one I am unable to reconcile is the question of culpability.

At the moment, the case is clear; when I am driving and if I make an error, I am culpable, not Land Rover.

I strongly suspect that even when the vehicle is autonomous, the 'driver' would still be held accountable for errors or system failures that resulted in a collision and the driver would be expected to resume control to avoid said collision.
Then the legal argument begins about whether or not the decision was both correct and timely.

I take this view because there is absolutely zero chance of any manufacturer being accepting of any system failure or error (that their machine suffered) that resulted in a collision for one simple reason; that would make them liable.

The logical next step to a manufacturer of an autonomous vehicle being held liable or culpable for its vehicles actions is that driver's insurance would be entirely redundant. And a car capable of driving itself must surely be capable of recognising it's owner/authorised user meaning the only insurance needed by the owner would be for damage through fire i.e. changing TPF&T to just F.

Car makers won't accept the risk and insurance companies won't quote for only Fire risk.....collectively, there is too much money at stake. Whether or not people blindly walk into this ludicrous situation remains to be seen.

Post #432424 24th Mar 2017 12:11pm
Rob99

All reminds me a bit of the quote from George Orwells "Animal Farm" where the mantra (slightly amended) is.......

Four Wheels (legs) Good, Two Legs Bad....... Shocked Shocked

. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #432432 24th Mar 2017 1:20pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

miggit wrote:
What worries me is this statement..

"Machines, by contrast, are consistent, calculating, and incapable of getting drunk, angry, or distracted."

Whistle they've never been near a ffrr, one of the most calculating vindictive misleading machines that I have ever come across.... just how many times have you been driving down the road without a care in the world, to have your world shattered by "BONG" Shocked

As long as LR stay out of the market we should be safe Laughing

Without doubt I would expect almost everyone to avoid hitting another person with their car, and in the split second do everything possible to avoid a collision.. I can see the problem arising when your car decides to mow a person down, rather than take risky avoidance action... I'm not sure that I would want to be sitting in that car..

Maybe they should try and integrate their autonomous driving technology into a P38. They should Censored it completely. Mr. Green

Post #432550 25th Mar 2017 6:09am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Rob99 wrote:
All reminds me a bit of the quote from George Orwells "Animal Farm" where the mantra (slightly amended) is.......

Four Wheels (legs) Good, Two Legs Bad....... Shocked Shocked

Yes, but but you haven't covered uneven numbers.....

What would happen if autonomous capabilities can be retro fitted and some nutter fits it to a Reliant Robin ?? You can imagine how that would end...

"Am I going to be a danger to other road users?" .......

"what's the quickest route to Beachy Head???"....

"how far?, I'll throw myself out of a tree"

You wouldn't want to get in that ride Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #432564 25th Mar 2017 8:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1