Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Advice RE: First bike
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Advice RE: First bike

OK, I know sod all about 125's, never been on one. In fact my first bike was a Suzuki X7 250 which was learner legal back in the 80's.

Anyway, SWMBO is about to commence lessons and I need to find a decent 125cc bike for her, mainly so we can ride out together and get her some practice in.

I reckon a Honda would be a safe bet, but even they have loads of 125 models. Which would be most suited. She's 5'5", slight to medium build (9 stone).

MY requirements. Simple, stable, upright (not head down, ar5e in the air) reliable, easy to hold up, not heavy and decent resale value (She is doing Direct Access so will trade up after a year or so) and sensible insurance

HER requirements. Bling, sexy, cool, so nothing sensible in there. Her first 2 choices were a Yamaha YZF R125, Honda CBR125F. Both look doubtful to me.

Come on then chaps, this place never fails me. Suggestions please.

Gratuitous photo of SWMBO. All the gear, no idea. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Post #433894 5th Apr 2017 10:55am
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Hi,

If SWMBO is doing Direct Access I wouldn't bother getting a 125cc Bike. Once she has completed the CBT on a 125 (which takes just a day) and, depending on proficiency, she will go straight to a 400, 500 or 600CC Machine. She will find a 125cc bike useless once she's been on the larger ones, plus she will complete all of her Direct Access Modules on a bigger machine.
I did my Direct Access back in 2010. I had held a bike entitlement on my old license since 1989, but DVLA kindly forgot to put it back on my Photocard License when I finally got round to getting one, so I had to do a Direct Access course to get it reinstated. The instructor told me not to even bother thinking of getting a 125 'for practising', as the modern 600CC Bikes are a world apart and I would lose loads of money on trading up from a 125 to a bigger machine.

The first bike I got after passing my Direct Access was a Kawasaki ZX6R. Excellent as a 'first time' rider's road bike.

Post #433907 5th Apr 2017 12:38pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I would go straight to one of these... proper bike.

Harley Davidson Fatboy

Post #433914 5th Apr 2017 1:34pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

is hoovering that dangerous that mrs dom has to wear protective gear and a crash helmet... Shocked Very Happy ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #433919 5th Apr 2017 2:45pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Mrs mzplg looks far too young and slim to have a Harley Davidson, even if she did happen to be an accountant.

I have very little experience of this end of the market, but agree that if she does not have to have a 125, she would be better off with something with more capacity to allow her to hold her own in traffic, rather than be at the mercy of what is going on around her. I have had a loan Honda CBR 650 which was too small for me, but otherwise seemed quite a decent bike, with predictable engine and brake responses and good handling. Hondas seem to be well finished and durable. It struck me as pretty light, but then I have a Triumph Trophy 1200, which definitely would not suit her. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #433920 5th Apr 2017 2:50pm
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

Once she's passed her test I would suggest one of the Jap custom cruisers; Virago, Intruder etc. They do various engine sizes and the seat is nice and low so easy to reach the ground for them's what short on inches.

I had a VS 800 and loved it. They seem to be around £2.5k so not overly expensive. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #433922 5th Apr 2017 3:01pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Firstly , a Harley is not a motorbike its a overweight , grossly underpowered shed with wheels and
proberbly the greatest marketing scam ever on this earth and possibly the Universe and thats a fact.

Honestly dont understand how anyone could pay the staggering prices for what is a 1900s design that you bolt shiney sh@t on to.and get excited if you hit 90mph without the thing shaking itself to bits. Always think the riders would be prime 'magic beans' buyers. No offence to any Harley owners , oh and i have some magic beans for sale , 52 k each and 65k for one special one with a shiney sticker on one side!!!!!

From your Ws choices of sports orientated 125s , there is a new class of A2 machines including zx300r , r300 yamaha etc that would suit a progression after the CBT stage and beyond. 600s can top 160 mph and as any biker will tell you , its very easy to get to those speeds but not as easy to stop. Also you wife looks slim of frame and a smaller machine would be much easier to manoeuvre, especially for a beginner to get used to.

Just my pennies worth as an aging biker who has been riding superbikes since the 80s. The stuff re Harley is fact Wink 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #433931 5th Apr 2017 4:23pm
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I would suggest a KTM 125 Duke. They are the perfect bike for a learner as they very reliable, made from the best parts (LED lights, white power shock, Brembo brakes etc) and are light, stable and upright not like the Yamaha yzf 125r and the Honda 125 cbr which are both head down and ar*e up.

Then again I would say that as I have one for sale Thumbs Up

It's a 2012 with only 3600 miles with January 2018 MOT and was bought for my daughter but she joined the forces and didn't need it. It's just sat in the garage taking up space.........as for resale value just look an eBay etc it'll amaze you. These bikes are a very well kept secret.

Regards ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #433935 5th Apr 2017 4:59pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

My best suggestion would be to wait until SWMBO has done her CBT before even thinking of getting a bike. Too many people buy bikes because they're 'cool', 'fast', 'it's the machine to be seen on', etc., but once SWMBO has got her mojo on a bike, let her decide what she wants.
We can suggest all sorts (NOT the 'fat boy' though, uughh!!!) but she will find her own way in the end.

Post #433974 5th Apr 2017 9:46pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Thanks chaps, some decent advice in there Thumbs Up

CBT done. Now waiting to start the direct access course. But in a moment of inspiration I came up with an idea. She is going on about what to choose as her first bike and completely ignoring me and my boring sensible talk......so i stuck her on a FJ1200 to see how she got on. As soon as I let go she yelped it was falling over and far too heavy. Ah, my work is done for that particular day. Cool

So, she now understands the concept of weight and balance it seems.

Anyway, I'm taking here to a large bike showroom on Saturday. She likes the look of the ZX6R but is also quite taken with the CB600R. Basically anything with cool graphics. Fortunately all the stuff in there will be shiny but I have given them a heads up along with her measurements. The guy said he would sort out half a dozen options for her to try.

Have to say though, I am quietly impressed....I do like a biker chick. Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Post #433990 6th Apr 2017 7:47am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up
No need to "click image to enlarge"

Embarassed Laughing John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #433993 6th Apr 2017 8:22am
markdotreed

United Kingdom 

I agree with not getting a 125. They're not as stable as a bigger bike is another reason. You really notice the lack of weight when you're overtaken by a lorry on one as she will find out on the course.

My wife did the direct access course and went straight to a CBR600 !! Regards
Mark

2009 D4; 1993 Classic 3.9 VSE

Post #433994 6th Apr 2017 8:37am
MarkNL

Netherlands 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Piaggio MP3 !!

I am a bit of a "late starter", used to have lots of 50cc mopeds when I was 16-18 yrs (thats over 30 years ago) and just bought this MP3 because you can drive it with a car licence. They make a version with slightly wider front wheel stance, to fit definition of a car, for us "non-bike-permit-holders". Available in 125-300-400-500 CC

Piaggio also make versions with slightly less wide front wheel stance, that require a bike licence.

Great ride, stable, smooth, just magic.... but I am not a Real Biker Cool Mark Offringa
Utrecht Netherlands

2007 L322 / 3.6 TDV8 / Vogue / Java black
2002 Mini Cooper / 1.6 116 hp / Red + white roof / the magic back-up Smile

Gone:
2002 L322 / 4.4 V8 / Vogue/ Adriatic blue
2000 Audi A6 / V8 4.2 / Brilliantschwarz
2003 L322 / TD6 HSE / Adriatic blue

Post #434008 6th Apr 2017 12:35pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

This will be the seventh year since I sold my last bike having had many over several years so am a little out of touch....

Bikes such as the BMW F650 used to have both lower seat options and lowering kits available. Just a thought.

Post #434022 6th Apr 2017 3:01pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Harley's are marmite bikes. I don't get them, but then I have a Triumph Rocket III Roadster and that is a very stupid bike indeed.

I would've also recommend the KTM Duke 125 if going down that route, but if she's going for a bigger bike why not the KTM 690 Duke? They're huge fun, keep their value and they're one of the lightest bikes around. I would love one, but I have 3 bikes already.

Post #434062 6th Apr 2017 8:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>