Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Gearbox and diffs - or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green
Gearbox and diffs - or not

I'm in a quandary.

I have had my '07 MY 3.6TDV8 for a year now and - touch wood - the only requirements so far have been a service, a battery and a new driver's seat cover. It goes well and is smooth and has just over 170,000 miles on it (5000 of them mine).

The question is, do I change the gearbox, transfer box and diff oils or leave well alone on the grounds that I may disturb something that is best left undisturbed? Sleeping dogs and all that

Post #434132 7th Apr 2017 11:05am
alistairh

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I'm doing my diffs and transfer box today after having done the power steering at the weekend. Power steering fluid was black and it's made a huge diffrence to how it turns. The transfer box oil was a horrible brown colour just now and I'm glad I'm doing this as I plan on keeping the car a few years.. I'm plucking up the courage to do the gearbox lastly..

. Pas fluid. Looks like coke a cola 😂

Post #434137 7th Apr 2017 11:24am
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I would definately do the diffs and transfer box as its an easy job and can only help! Did mine recently with 77k on the clock and the rear diff was brown and smelt disgusting! Nearly made me sick!!

The gearbox oil should be done too if its not been done already and should help wih any clunky shifts! Just dont reset the adaptives or that can cause issues. A powerflush is normally recommended as it gets more of the old oil out! Think theres more chance of something going wrong with old oil rather than having fresh oil in easing wear on internal components! Make sure you can open the fill plugs first though before draining!

Post #434196 7th Apr 2017 7:07pm
Joe90

England 

and the gearbox fill plug is in a stupid place (needs special tool) on your vehicle IIRC .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #434204 7th Apr 2017 7:55pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I agree with doing the diffs, transfer box and power steer.

Whether to do a transmission service depends on whether it's been regularly serviced in the past and what VIN it is. The very late 2007s changed over to a lead free stator bush which wears. To quote RRPhil "there was an issue on some 6HP26 models with wear in the rear stator bush which allows the E-clutch circuit to leak and lose pressure causing the clutch to slip".

A trans service done too late to the affected boxes seems to result in trans problems. So it may be that you're better to just leave the trans unless it's had a couple of services previously or it's an early 2007 that's outside the VIN range. I can't find the VIN range or tech bulletin at the moment. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #434220 7th Apr 2017 11:05pm
GPMG

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Just done my diffs and transfer box and it feels smoother. The old fluids were disgusting!

Post #436467 30th Apr 2017 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1