Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Is there a better vehicle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba
Is there a better vehicle

I had the good fortune to drive almost 1,000 miles from Lancashire to Gdansk this week, just my son and myself in my 2014 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography. I have done this journey about 30 times over the years but this was the first time in the RR. We tried to imagine a better vehicle but couldn't think of one. I played safe on the autobahn at about 150 km/hr and this was about 1,8000 rpm and effortless. The adaptive cruise took some pressure off and we stopped once on an 800 mile stint.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Post #434161 7th Apr 2017 1:57pm
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Nope. Only other contenders would be the big BMW/Audi/Merc Saloons, along with the Roller & Bentley (both these being way over the FFRR cost).

I do a 500 mile return commute over 2/3 days every couple of weeks & i think exactly the same as i'm cosseted in comfort & luxury for the whole journey. No drama & I get out the other end as if i'd only driven to the shops. Paul

MY17 TDV6 Autobiography In Carpathian Grey With Cirrus Interior

Post #434167 7th Apr 2017 2:20pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

No Very Happy

I find driving a saloon on a motorway much more stressful

Post #434170 7th Apr 2017 3:14pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

x2and I've had lots and lots

Post #434181 7th Apr 2017 4:11pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I agree.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I regularly do 400 mile round trips in one go, mainly motorways and it is so effortless compared to any previous cars I have had. Very Happy Very Happy 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #434190 7th Apr 2017 5:42pm
aneurysm1

2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Cairns Blue

w8pmc wrote:
Nope. Only other contenders would be the big BMW/Audi/Merc Saloons, along with the Roller & Bentley (both these being way over the FFRR cost).

I do a 500 mile return commute over 2/3 days every couple of weeks & i think exactly the same as i'm cosseted in comfort & luxury for the whole journey. No drama & I get out the other end as if i'd only driven to the shops.

Which Roller or Bentley w8pmc?? The 4x4 bentayga? I think high driving position takes a lot of strain out of long distance driving.

Post #434224 8th Apr 2017 12:03am
jambo27

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Hi. Nice journey and I have to agree the Range Rover is the best car to do it in. I only have a 322 but its just put the cruise control and sit back and relax. Out of interest do you do Dover Calias or Hull Rotterdam ? I found the Hull Rotterdam ferry more expensive but the cost was offset in the lower fuel costs as I didn't need to drive from Stoke to Dover and then I saved milage once over the water as I didn't need to drive up from Calias to Germany. Do you go up to Berlin and through to Gdansk via northern road into Poland or A2 to Poznan and then straight up A1 ? 2008 TDV8

Post #434231 8th Apr 2017 6:32am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Define "Better"

More reliable? Yes, VW Phaeton to name one.
More comfortable? Hmm, maybe the back seat of a Rolls or Bentley.
More capable? Nope, the RR is supreme in this respect.
More safe? Probably all on a par, Volvo BMW, Merc etc.

BUT.....as a package? There's nothing which makes me smile quite so much as getting in the FFRR. It has that certain Je ne sais quoi; it is more than the sum of its component parts, and still after 45 years it remains the car for all reasons.

Go fishing? Yep
Shopping? Yep
School run? Yep
Cross a continent? Of course
Holidays? Yep
Tow your horsebox? Sure
Drive up into the mountains? Yep
Take the boat to the seaside for the day? Easy.

And here's the killer blow to the competition. When we all get our Knighthoods for putting up with some very questionable reliability, whet else would you use to turn up and meet The Queen?

Thumbs Up

Post #434237 8th Apr 2017 8:23am
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #434238 8th Apr 2017 8:42am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Early start, 6am, London to Derby and back, tomorrow, on my own, with a bit of radio 4, and the sun will be out. almost looking forward to it!

Post #434239 8th Apr 2017 8:44am
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

aneurysm1 wrote:
w8pmc wrote:

I do a 500 mile return commute over 2/3 days every couple of weeks & i think exactly the same as i'm cosseted in comfort & luxury for the whole journey. No drama & I get out the other end as if i'd only driven to the shops.

Which Roller or Bentley w8pmc?? The 4x4 bentayga? I think high driving position takes a lot of strain out of long distance driving.

I said nope agreeing with the OP, their is no better.

Alternatives exist but as others have said, all round I don't think anything's better.

I'm sure the inside of say the Wraith, Conti or Bentayga are beautyfully equipped with very high grade materials, but they're many 10's of thousands more than the FFRR & the Wraith etc. Would be pretty poor off-road.

I've not yet got used to the high driving position in my FFRR or it's assumed size so not yet convinced the high driving position is say better than an equivalent saloon, but I'm warming to it. Paul

MY17 TDV6 Autobiography In Carpathian Grey With Cirrus Interior

Post #434240 8th Apr 2017 9:03am
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

mzplcg wrote:
And here's the killer blow to the competition. When we all get our Knighthoods for putting up with some very questionable reliability, whet else would you use to turn up and meet The Queen?

.......and of course, what does Her Majesty choose to drive as her personal vehicle......an L322 fattie..... Bow down
. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #434317 9th Apr 2017 8:22am
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

mzplcg wrote:

Thumbs Up

A Defender? Whistle Whistle

Post #434322 9th Apr 2017 9:25am
jumpin mouse

jambo27 wrote:
Hi. Nice journey and I have to agree the Range Rover is the best car to do it in. I only have a 322 but its just put the cruise control and sit back and relax. Out of interest do you do Dover Calias or Hull Rotterdam ? I found the Hull Rotterdam ferry more expensive but the cost was offset in the lower fuel costs as I didn't need to drive from Stoke to Dover and then I saved milage once over the water as I didn't need to drive up from Calias to Germany. Do you go up to Berlin and through to Gdansk via northern road into Poland or A2 to Poznan and then straight up A1 ?

Hi jambo, living in Lancashire we have found that Hull - Rotterdam suits us far better. It's an expensive ferry but it's also a long way round via Dover and with Hull - Rotterdam we can avoid a nights hotel on the journey. We always went via Koszalin/Kolbaskowo but about 4 years ago started using the A1/A2 route but the connection between them is awful. Either 2 hours on bad and quite dangerous roads via Gniezno and Znin, or 1 hour via Kolo but that's over 100km further. On Wednesday we went the "old" way in the North and found it to be better. Overtaking is a bit awkward in a UK car but I'm sure you know all about that. We left Rotterdam at 9 am Wednesday and at 9 pm made it to Gdansk and I didn't drive like a dick, except for in Germany of course.

Post #434571 11th Apr 2017 10:19am
jumpin mouse

jambo27 wrote:
Hi. Nice journey and I have to agree the Range Rover is the best car to do it in. I only have a 322 but its just put the cruise control and sit back and relax. Out of interest do you do Dover Calias or Hull Rotterdam ? I found the Hull Rotterdam ferry more expensive but the cost was offset in the lower fuel costs as I didn't need to drive from Stoke to Dover and then I saved milage once over the water as I didn't need to drive up from Calias to Germany. Do you go up to Berlin and through to Gdansk via northern road into Poland or A2 to Poznan and then straight up A1 ?

Hi jambo, living in Lancashire we have found that Hull - Rotterdam suits us far better. It's an expensive ferry but it's also a long way round via Dover and with Hull - Rotterdam we can avoid a nights hotel on the journey. We always went via Koszalin/Kolbaskowo but about 4 years ago started using the A1/A2 route but the connection between them is awful. Either 2 hours on bad and quite dangerous roads via Gniezno and Znin, or 1 hour via Kolo but that's over 100km further. On Wednesday we went the "old" way in the North and found it to be better. Overtaking is a bit awkward in a UK car but I'm sure you know all about that. We left Rotterdam at 9 am Wednesday and at 9 pm made it to Gdansk and I didn't drive like a dick, except for in Germany of course.

Post #434572 11th Apr 2017 10:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>