Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Alternator change gone bad!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
Alternator change gone bad!

So the battery warning light illuminated on Monday, new battery was fitted 3 weeks ago.
IID tool showed a charging system fault code.
So ordered a replacement alternator and belt and taking advantage of the 4 day weekend I started to replace it.
Got everything disconnected and the alternator out in about 2 hours or so and this included my neighbour dropping by on his CBR and me giving in to the temptation and taking it for a run up the road.
So slid the new unit in, multiplug on, cable on and nut secured, half an hour later after much rugging and tugging trying to line it up to get a bolt in, I gave up and pulled the alternator back out.
So the stud for the cable is maybe 30ish degrees different from the original one and once in position it hits the plastic hard pipe for the air intake.
In short it doesn't f-ing fit!
So that'll be the car off the road for a week while I wait for everything to open on Tuesday so that I can send it back and source another one!
I suspect that if I cut a couple of threads off the stud it'll clear the intake pipe and line up but if I'm wrong they won't take it back and I'll not get my money back.
Not a happy bunny ( bad easter pun)

Post #434940 14th Apr 2017 9:01pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Be sure to check the Part Numbers of the replacement alternator, as it sounds like you've been sent one for a different model of vehicle altogether.
I got a refurbished alternator when mine went a couple of months ago and it turned out to be a 120 Amp alternator for a Volvo. It looked similar to my original, but output would have only been 120 Amp, not 150 Amp needed for the Rangie. Had to send it back and source a replacement pronto. Have kept my old alternator and got a repair kit so I can get it refurbed myself when time allows, then I'll have a spare unit in case of future problems.

Post #435041 16th Apr 2017 11:32am
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

So I went to my local auto spark to see if he could refurb the OE one, he explained that the terminals are welded not soldered so they are difficult to overhaul, he sourced a replacement for me though.
He told me the supplier listed two options, knowing I'd had issues he sent pictures and measurements and one had the stud in the wrong position the other was the same as OEM even though both were listed as fitting the fatty.
Correct one supplied and i fitted it this evening so back on the road in time to go off road tomorrow.

Post #435591 21st Apr 2017 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1