Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Replacing liftgate/upper tailgate.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jonrover

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Replacing liftgate/upper tailgate.

All,
I have an '07 with the option which appears most popular for that year, a disintegrating upper tailgate. I have acquired the tailgate from an '03 which appears the same and is in excellent condition, I see on here that most believe that the model years are interchangeable, and so far as I can see they look the same, we shall see!
All the tailgates I have seen for sale, and indeed the one I bought have had the wiring harness chopped off where it would join the car. I was shown the reason for this, the harness is a continuation of the main loom with no connectors / plugs. The question is this, can the wiring be "fished" out of the existing tailgate and then threaded back into the replacement?
I think most on here had dealers replace theirs, does anyone know what they did? I don't really fancy a big splice behind the headlining (assuming the looms are the same?) but also don't want to cause myself more trouble by wreaking the wiring trying to withdraw it.
The loom must have been threaded in at the factory but wonder if it was done before the glass was fitted (don't fancy removing that either) and therefore may not come back out?
Rave avoids the subject only mentioning the lower tailgate, I cant find anything on here even though a few threads exist on the tailgate subject.
If anyone has any knowledge or experience of this there advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Jon.

Post #437089 4th May 2017 9:05pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The loom is fitted down the right side and does not require the glass removing sir Thumbs Up

Take the inner trims off and the loom will squeeze out between the body work and the glass... You will need to be careful of larger plugs too when removing the loom Thumbs Up

I would suggest you practice removing the loom on your new tailgate first (as if its fitted so to say)

Thumbs Up

Post #437150 5th May 2017 12:22pm
Jonrover

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Thanks Craig,
That's good news, I had considered practising on the "new" tailgate but was worried that if I damaged the loom and ended up with it stuck half way out I would be in trouble! So glad that you can confirm it will come out. Just need this job to work its way to the top of the to do list! will report back.
Thanks again,
Jon.

Post #437159 5th May 2017 12:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1