Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Tesla x
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver
Tesla x

Just been told to ditch the FF and save the planet by a prat on FB and buy a tesla x if I was after upgrading lol yes right 100k plus. And in the real world most of us will never buy 100k vehicle!

'Well - yes 3.5 tonnes and yes it's all wheel drive and yes it has height adjustable air suspension....but no, it doesn't depreciate like a Range Rover, so will still cost more than £35k.....and thankfully can be totally trimmed in leather and suede if you wish...
Any other questions ?
Tesla Model X will do everything you first asked....3.5 ton towing cap, all wheel drive....and like every other car, fitted with the appropriate rubber, drive across a muddy field with ease...and let's be fair, that is about as onerous as most RR products do....It may be far more competent, my Tesla model S is superb in deep snow...but it'd take confidence to take any 80-100k 4x4 proper off roading!
I grant you it will not do the extreme 4x4 off roading that a Defender will do....but 95%+ of Range Rover don't either.
Electric motors offer 4x4+ as each wheel can offer different torque within milli seconds of sensors detecting slip.
As yet there is not an EV available for every extreme situation - but take heed .... JLR have stated that 40% of all their production will be electric by 2020...as to you opting to drive one, well that's a different thing....but don't mistake that over the next 2-3 years, the car market will start to look very different'

I'm sure you guys can post an appropriate reply for me Wink _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #437356 7th May 2017 3:29pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Rumour has it JLR are actively seeking a site to build a new factory from ground up, specifically to build electric vehicles in (only electric vehicles). Various councils tendering for the site, I54 being one of them.
Either takes some bottle to build a factory on current projected sales, or they know something we don't ??

Post #437357 7th May 2017 4:07pm
Caddyshack

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

The tesla x is predicted to depreciate 25% faster than a Ramge Rover. My friend only gets 220 miles not the 280 on a full charge and that's a brand new battery...what will it be like in 5 years? I bet if you tow with it the motors could overheat and maybe cause perm damage....electric is coming but it ain't quite there yet IMO.

Post #437417 7th May 2017 8:35pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I know but when you step out of Schiphol airport and the whole taxi fleet is Model S you realise there is something epic happening here.

I mean... Taxis. Taxis need to run all day . And all night. Teslas need significantly less maintenance too.

Spoke to some of the drivers and they do a top-up charge while eating lunch. While telling me this, he stuck the boot in and it was then I realised that the electric car concept has been cracked. Not G-Whizz niche cracked, I mean proper cracked.

Ok that doesn't mean there are not still things to conquer like towing...

But watch something like this:

or any of these vids of Teslas eating V8s on a dragstrip then tell me combustion will be on forecourts in 10 years.

Granted it won't go overnight. Just like people still have DVD collections and DVD players. Same as the CD.

But things have moved on people.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #437434 7th May 2017 9:19pm
rodp

It will be a long time yet over here before electric catches on, if at all. Then there's trucks and vans to cater for, how you going to haul 44 ton 500 miles on batteries?

Post #437437 7th May 2017 9:26pm
GGDR

I'll bet skeptics said the same about taxis 5 years ago.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/03/investing/...-value-gm/

Don't get me wrong though, I drive a V8 diesel. And I think the Model X looks wrong. The styling is enough for me to never consider that car.

Combustion will be around but watch it become the minority. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #437438 7th May 2017 9:32pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Combustion will remain a majority if all vehicles are considered in my opinion. I already know many friends have bought electric as their second or city or work transport and for good reason, whether tax, running cost or free parking and charge up facilities.

However, a lot of people will still buy second hand and fuel stations will remain plentiful. People will continue to choose petrol/diesel for as long as I am driving (I'm 41) in the main. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #437441 7th May 2017 9:50pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The bit about JLR producing more electric only and hybrids is true. They have had Tesla guys with them at the factory (information from someone who works there) and they need to get loads of them sold in under 2 years because of legislation.

What they are after is a vehicle that can do sensible mileages on electric power for city driving and a hybrid for the mixture of town & country unlike their current hybrid which can only do a mile or so on electric alone.

As said above, the car market will look very different in a couple of years time. The government have some serious inner city pollution issues to deal with and regardless of who likes it and who doesn't, electric power is going to be the next thing.

Post #437449 8th May 2017 5:59am
Caddyshack

If you do drag strip runs you get about 40 miles to a full charge. My friend got under 70 miles using a model S in non ludicrous mode across the butter tubs pass.

Post #437524 8th May 2017 2:43pm
GGDR

Sure. A Bugatti Veyron can empty it's hydrocarbon tank every 12 mins.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #437532 8th May 2017 3:27pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Saw one on the motorway the other day and not struck by its looks.

Post #437537 8th May 2017 3:36pm
rodp

There's two major problems with electric, neither will be solved in the near future.

(A) count the number of vehicles passing through a service station (especially motorway) at any given time, and then bear in mind it takes about ten minutes to fill up and pay in a good station. Now think just how long it takes to charge an electric car, and multiply that by at least two because of the limited range so need to charge twice as often as fill up Shocked Can you really afford to spend an extra two or three hours stuck on the road?

(B) Batteries are heavy and big. There's already a powerpack available that measures just 10cm x 10cm x 10cm, and it's capable of powering a vehicle of any weight at any speed for several miles. It's called a litre of diesel fuel Thumbs Up That will take some beating.

Electric ? Not in my lifetime, or probably yours.

Post #437543 8th May 2017 4:20pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

That simply isn't true. Electric power is here, usable and will help to sort inner city air quality. Fossil fuels of any kind will only exacerbate air pollution so we will see more vehicles which can do the city run on pure electric power. At a guess I would say some will use donkey engines to charge the batteries when out of the city limits but these will be much smaller and very lean burning.

As for charging, many more points are springing up. I saw a Tesla charging at the services on the A66 yesterday, tiny services, not motorway. Inductive charging from loops embedded in roads will likely come next. Porsche have developed an 800 volt charging system which will give 100 miles on a 10 minute charge, and of course we could all do the slow charge overnight at home.

Like it or not it is coming for sure. And it will be here in a couple of years, not another lifetime.

Post #437552 8th May 2017 5:03pm
Caddyshack

gonna_go_double_r wrote:
Sure. A Bugatti Veyron can empty it's hydrocarbon tank every 12 mins.

Isn't that at full speed though, not fast road or drag strip driving.

Post #437558 8th May 2017 5:47pm
rodp

Quote:
Like it or not it is coming for sure. And it will be here in a couple of years, not another lifetime.

Not a cat in hells chance of electric becoming the norm in two years, maybe two decades and that's pushing it. Just imagine all the vehicle queued up waiting to charge on the Mway, all blocking charging points for at least half an hour every 200 miles.
Then you have all the motors that folk keep forever,they'll not change those just for the environment. But, time will tell.

Post #437565 8th May 2017 6:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>