Print this entire topic · 
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Yoar fergivon Thumbs Up

Post #437845 10th May 2017 11:43am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Caddyshack wrote:

Mine is Autobiography and after trying it next to a VogueSE it felt massively different...not just all the lovely gadgets (I specifically wanted the cameras

Sorry but each to his own I couldn't disagree more. Sure the AB has leather or alcantara headlining and dash top but apart from that it looks and feels just the same when sat inside. It certainly drives identically. I've not just driven them back to back I've owned a number of them and I have to say that they are both lovely. The leather they use is identical and both have pan roof's, although you get a standard electric opening one in the AB. And deployables are options on both cars.

In relation to getting something off the list price this is always possible but it depends how the car has been marked up. For instance there are almost identical AB's currently for sale, same age, mileage and spec with 10 grand between them, of course the dear one will give a few grand away because you are still buying an expensive car, so be careful and do your home-work. And finally, if you can always buy from Land Rover dealers as not only do you get two years approved used warranty but a lot of goodwill if something does go wrong.

Post #437846 10th May 2017 11:46am
Caddyshack

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

I understood that the leather was better, the head rests certainly felt much softer but maybe that's due to the excellent wing back head rests that the VSE I tried did not have.

As you say, each to their own. The VsE just didn't feel as special to me. I had an L322 in VSE and I was looking for a huge leap forward on the l405, the VSE was good but the AB felt special and I think the extended leather on doors, dash, roof plus wood and leather wheel all brought the ambience up a level.

Post #437908 10th May 2017 8:23pm
Caddyshack

Mattl29 wrote:
Hi all thanks for your help, much appreciated. As this is a step up in the luxury car stakes for me I am looking (been dazzled by!) the autobiography spec as seems a step above and as I said earlier do like the idea of massage seats etc. In my head I have been favouring the 3.0 as no need to tow.
Any other views on the massage seats option? Thinking it may also be a way to show the Mrs that the money has been well spent Very Happy
All in all really excited by the prospect, had been looking at RRS's for a while but now I have been actively looking at cars on the road I only see about 1 in 20 round Derbyshire being driven by men!

I had an E55 AMG and found that I used the massage seats a lot on any journey over 300 miles, I have missed them on all my cars after that one...glad to have them back and much Improved on the new AB, plus the heated and cooled function is great, I missed these when I sold my last VSE L322 and went to BMW heated only...also really missed the heated wheel in winter....we had a frostbthe other day and I used the remote pre-heater from the house, it defrosted really quickly and the. I went out and put the heated wheel on with the seats and off I went....I missed all this.

I know the VSE probably has some or all of these but worth checking the spec if these matter to you.

Not all the Vogues I looked had were equipped with pan roofs, the point I was making was that I feel it is an important option to miss and may make resale harder.

Post #437911 10th May 2017 8:28pm
Basilfawlty

I'm glad that you really like your AB but the thread is about a newbie wanting some advice and I think you've confused the issue by stating things as facts which aren't correct. Whistle

Post #437914 10th May 2017 8:42pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Mattl29 wrote:
Cheers both, I have not seen many with deplorable side steps and can't justify the retro tag so may go with fixed for wife and kids

My wife is 5'3" and she hates them - as do I - There are multiple threads on the subject.

Ours have been switched off since day 1

Post #437915 10th May 2017 8:44pm
Caddyshack

Basilfawlty wrote:
I'm glad that you really like your AB but the thread is about a newbie wanting some advice and I think you've confused the issue by stating things as facts which aren't correct. Whistle

Righty ho

Post #437916 10th May 2017 8:46pm
Caddyshack

Not sure which facts I got wrong but this is from Land Rover directly about the autobiography leather

BEAUTIFUL MATERIALS, FLAWLESS EXECUTION

Contrast-stitched Semi-Aniline leather with high-grade hides is hand-picked for exceptional suppleness and natural appearance.

I take this as hand picked leather from high grade hides...seems to read as better to me?

Post #437920 10th May 2017 9:02pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

My advice FWIW is to go to a dealer and take a look at both a VSE and AB of the sort of MY you want and decide which you like more. Then compare the standard spec sheets for both and then decide which options are essential.

Once you've done that you then have your ideal spec which you can use as a baseline when looking. It may take some time to find your ideal fattie (either VSE or AB) at the price you want to pay but its worth waiting as the right one will be out there.

And remember that the cost of new car options are rarely ever recovered in the used price. They may help to sell a car but don't increase the price. That'll always be based on model, condition and mileage etc., never on options.

Good Luck Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #437963 11th May 2017 10:02am
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

I'm possibly not helping here, but i thought the same regarding VSE vs. AB. I thought the leather was a different grade & it certainly felt softer & higher quality in my AB than the 2 VSE's i drove. That said, mine was brand new & the demos had a few thousand miles on them, also being an AB mine has the winged headrests, but it still feels softer, smells more leathery (not sure that's even a word) & has the appearance of being a higher grade.

I did opt for the Style 24 seat upgrade, but i thought that only gave more adjustability for the front & rear seats, however perhaps that offers up a different grade in which case my thoughts on standard VSE vs. AB may or may not be correct. Paul

MY17 TDV6 Autobiography In Carpathian Grey With Cirrus Interior

Post #437965 11th May 2017 10:13am
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I looked at VSE and AB and chose the AB because I believed that it was a nicer interior with softer leather but the winged headrests did have a lot to do with that. The VSE was very nice but the AB upped the comfort.

Incidentally, I do find this forum interesting and diverse as I would not be without the deployable side-steps and adaptive cruise control but I know that some on here don't like one or both of these extras/functions. I guess that just proves that we are all different and have different driving styles and needs.

Post #437972 11th May 2017 11:05am
Basilfawlty

Caddyshack wrote:
Not sure which facts I got wrong but this is from Land Rover directly about the autobiography leather

BEAUTIFUL MATERIALS, FLAWLESS EXECUTION

Contrast-stitched Semi-Aniline leather with high-grade hides is hand-picked for exceptional suppleness and natural appearance.

I take this as hand picked leather from high grade hides...seems to read as better to me?

Look I don't want to hijack someones thread but here's the actual quote from the LR Brochure

"Vogue SE, Autobiography, SVAutobiography Dynamic and SVAutobiography Long Wheelbase feature Semi-Aniline leather with high-grade hides selected for their exceptional suppleness and natural appearance"

There are others that I could mention but don't want to get into that, so hopefully we can leave it for those in the know to offer some advice to the Newbie. I've always agreed with you about the winged headrests, they are fab!Thumbs Up

Post #438030 11th May 2017 6:07pm
Caddyshack

"Those in the know". Nice!

We both have our own evidence and beliefs, the OP can pick out the advice they want from all opinions given, I am not the only one who feels the AB is a nicer place to sit.

Post #438036 11th May 2017 7:09pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There isn't a clear answer as they are all basically options packs......

VSE is just a bunch of options that you could spec on a Vogue and AB is another set of options that you could spec on a VSE

There may be a few exceptions that I don't know (or care) about - but when test driving (or just sitting in a car on a forecourt), you have to ask very specifically what the seat style is to actually know.

AB has the highest base spec, but perfectly feasible to spec a VSE the same or higher - though it may not make any economic sense if you spec'd up everything......

Post #438038 11th May 2017 7:25pm
Mattl29

United Kingdom 

Thanks all for your help, and to let you all know I am a little less confused then when I started so glad I posted and joined the forum. I am out over the next few weeks and will pick out the comments to find the best car for me. Sat in a few but not test drove yet and I have been leaning towards the AB spec as not a huge difference in price between Ab and VSE when I look at sort of options I may want. Cheers for the responses, most interesting is probably the engine. I had not even considered the 4.4 as just assumed it would be well below the 3.0 in mpg stakes but this is now a contender as there are a load more higher spec AB's for sale at the moment

Post #438103 12th May 2017 7:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>