Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > LR322 - MY12, reversing smell...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ewand

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey
LR322 - MY12, reversing smell...

hi all

Firstly, thanks for all the info that's been put up here - it's been really interesting for a RR newbie like me Smile
I picked up a UK 80k mile, late 2011 (MY12) TDV8 with the 8-spd auto box a couple of months ago. It's had a few niggles being sorted under the LR extended warranty, most notably an oil leak that was leaving the car with a distinctly hot oil smell when in use. Since it was done under warranty, I don't have the detail of exactly what was done, but it was a gasket or o-ring somewhere fairly deep in the engine bay. After getting it back, the car continued to smoke from under the bonnet for a bit but I presume that was residual oil just burning off.

What I'm left with, though, is that after a period of fast running - motorway speeds for 10+ miles, say - followed by a short amount of reverse gear (like parking in my driveway), the car absolutely stinks from the outside. I wouldn't say it's an oil smell, it's more like a clutch slipping type smell; the rear brake pads have been replaced so I don't think it's a sticking brake, and if you come to a stop, it's not too bad, but engaging reverse it is like someone's switched the smell on.

Dealer is trying to tell me that it's probably the DPF getting hot after a bit of speed (like 70mph) but I'm not sure I buy that.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is it just a feature of the car and the ZF 8-spd gearbox? Smile

cheers!
Ewan

Post #438573 16th May 2017 10:14am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

It is not normal to get a burning smell on reversing.

New pads can, if the brake caliper pistons/sliders have not been cleaned/lubricated (in the case of the sliders) cause brakes to stick, if e.g. the piston ends that were exposed when worn pads were in use are now inside the caliper and cannot move freely. Sticking rear brakes are a regular feature of the RR, mine have to be freed off every service. Part of the problem is that they come on only when the vehicle is heavily loaded or one brakes hard, so they get less use. Also a lot of muck is thrown into that area, especially off road. The wheels will get hot if the brakes are sticking, in bad cases you will get smoke coming off. However, it should not just happen when you reverse, and a short distance of reversing such as on parking should not generate enough heat for a burned smell.

The car can generate unpleasant smells when the fuel burning heater is still running when you switch off, associated with smoke from the driver side front wheel arch in my case, but it should come on only under 5 degrees or so, hence ought not to be happening in England just now. Likewise if your DPF is burning off there can be unpleasant smells. But I would not have thought either would be associated with reversing, unless you always reverse before getting out of the car and only notice the smell once you have got out.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of gearboxes can comment on a possible cause linked to reversing only. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #438580 16th May 2017 11:12am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I would check the temperature of the rear park brake drums because it sounds as though the epb shoes might be binding whilst reversing.

Post #438586 16th May 2017 12:21pm
ewand

Thanks guys - I thought it might have been the brakes but the wheels aren't at high temperature, even after a reasonably quick run down the motorway.

I suppose in my sense of paranoia, I'm worried that there's something happening with the gearbox that is stinking so much (it's impossible to ignore the smell if you walk right around the car- it's not obvious where it's coming from, ie it's not just the engine bay).

cheers, Ewan

Post #438589 16th May 2017 1:33pm
ewand

Just following up on this issue...

The car was back into the dealer and they checked everything out, including cleaning/disinfecting the air intake for the cabin (in case that got oiled up or anything). It seems the passage of time has sorted things out though, as it's not being so smelly now Smile

thanks
Ewan

Post #442719 26th Jun 2017 9:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1