Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 4.4 JAG 2006 Gearbox Squeak 3-4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 

Bahrain 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue
L322 4.4 JAG 2006 Gearbox Squeak 3-4

Hey all.

I am rcoeving conflicting advice for my 130km L322 out here in Bahrain and could do with some advise please.

When driving smoothly in the normal gearbox accelerating gently there is a small squeal accompanied by an increase of revs before the gear is selected but if in a line of traffic at around 60kmh and I accelerate a little harder and she decides to drop down it has a hissy fit and sometimes clonks about a bit before making her mind up.

I can only feel the slip between 3-4 when driving normally but when in Sport or even low range the slip doesn't seem to be there or at least not as evident.

I have been told it could be one of three things.

1) Torque Converter - no other noises are odd but what else can I do to confirm?
2) Solenoids - Withiut a full scanner is there anything I can do to confirm this easily?
3) Clutch Plates - Independent is pushing for a full rebuild

I have also been advised that simply changing the oil would help but others have advised against this as the oil will be less viscous and it would cause issues if the Clutch Plates are slipping...

😱😱😱

Any ideas and things I can do before committing to spending the better part of £2k to do a gearbox rebuild??

Thanks in advance!

Post #438794 18th May 2017 1:56pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

A special fluid additive was used to cure the 3-4 upshift ‘squawk’ in early Jaguars fitted with the 6HP26 (thought to be caused by a sticking E-clutch) but as the vast majority of issues with this transmission are caused by faulty solenoids, and as a full ‘044 solenoid set costs £260, I would suggest going down the solenoid replacement route rather than a full rebuild.

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #438800 18th May 2017 3:08pm

Thanks RRPhil - any idea of the best place to get them from?

Worth doing an oil change at the same time I would guess?

I'm out in Bahrain so shipping oil is a pain but I can source that here for about 30% more than in the Uk...

Thanks again!

Post #438801 18th May 2017 3:11pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Yes, certainly replace the drained out fluid with new ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6, and fit a new Filtran filter/sump pan too. Check that the electrical connector sleeve isn’t leaking as well because it’s a good opportunity to replace this with the ‘black seal’ version if yours has the old orange seals. As the Mechatronic unit has to be removed to replace the solenoids you need to replace the four rubber jump tubes and the bridge seal too.

If you Google the ZF part number 1068 298 044 you should get an idea of who is selling the solenoid kits and their price. I’ve used One Stop Gearbox Shop here in the UK in the past.

Total price for a full set of solenoids, fluid, filter, connector sleeve, jump tubes & bridge seal in the UK (using only genuine ZF OE parts, of course) is just over £500 though, so it ain’t cheap.

Examples :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automatic-Transm...2405331292

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mechatronic-Seal...2350239154

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OE-ZF-ZF...SwLF1X~1PJ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-Land-Rove...2422537836

(though 10 litres of fluid will be more than you need for a drain & refill)

Phil

Post #438869 19th May 2017 9:31am

Wonderful Phil!

Many thanks indeed!

I've had some parts quoted from RimmerBros for the transmission filter etc so along with your links can now look at the cost of buying in the UK vs out here when factoring in shipping etc!

Interestingly the independent guys haven't mentioned the seals somwill to speak to them when I am back next Thursday!

Thanks again!

Chris

Post #438883 19th May 2017 2:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1