Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > unbelievabie!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BOBCUSSEN

France 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
unbelievabie!!!!!

hi folks

its only me again Embarassed

after just getting over my recent fuel injection problem; and cost of 2500 euro; my van has blown up, which is not reparable and not being a millionaire, is now more expense to find another; Censored Whistle Censored Censored mother Censored bumholes !!

anyway ive now lost the use of the range and is sitting in a inde awaiting a look on monday, but i thought if i explain briefly ( i promise ) Whistle Embarassed Rolling Eyes , the symptoms, perhaps you may have an idea what has or is in the process of happening Question

i drove to a friends house and when i got out i heard bet described as a metalic clattering sound coming from under the bonnet; not constant but as if a pulley ways wobbling and hitting something close by,; but if you put the engine under load, it stopped ?? anyway lifted the bonnet and couldent see anything but we see a lot of metal filings/swarf on the bulkhead by the alternator and filings flying around in the air in front of the alternator and thought perhaps the bearing was breaking up or running dry ??

we switched off and tried to see if any play in the pulley or tennsioners but everything seemed fine;

i decided to leave and drive back to the garage, after about 5 km; the suspension inactive light came on, and the light on the up down control knob went out, followed by the ABS light came on, then the gps screen went off then came on then went off; ( all previously mentioned )

at no point did the ign light come on , i pulled onto the forecourt an switched off; went and got the mech, tried to start and bat was dead, !!!

jumped the car and he was looking around and could see the swarfe flying about and at first agreed it looked like the alternator but the ignition light did not come on so i assumed it was still chargiing the battery ?

we put it in the workshop and asked me to start it and took another look, and then said it was not coming from the alternator but from somewhere lower down in front of rad, sparks flying from the area as well; and swarfe in the air, and his eyes, and everywhere else,

so im waiting for them to investigate further on monday, but from what i have decsribedn any clues as to what it might be, Question Question and whatever is down that area, is there something that would also cause the electrical failures while i was in motion, ie or the non charging of the battery, while i was in motion,? ( everything came back on when restarted at the garage !! )

so lets have a look at the clues, clattering noises sounding like pulley loose, tensioner loose/dry Question Question , metal filings flying around, sparks etc from low down front of engine, electrical failures while driving, etc etc

so who lives in a house like this Rolling with laughter , sorry dont know why im in a Laughing Censored mood, but if its sounding serious and expensive, please be gentle aye Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #439143 21st May 2017 2:11pm
Joe90

England 

Well Bob, here are your choices: Take your pick (note the AC stuff is on the "other" belt)

Guess that if tension is lost on the belt then the alternator may not be turning, which caused the flat battery. My money is on 4 or 5 or the unnumbered one below 2. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #439149 21st May 2017 3:20pm
Cooper1275

Ireland 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

Similar issue happened to me on a ford focus, it was the water pump pulley wheel that was gone.
but it didnt go as quick or as dramatic as this. Shocked

Hope its as quick a fix and an easy win! Very Happy

Post #439152 21st May 2017 3:29pm
BOBCUSSEN

thanks for the pictures jo

from what the mech said he was thinking it lower down on the opposite side to the alternator but that would not make much sense looking at the belt position for the alternator etc, ? if the issue is something lower down on the other side?

what is there low down on the left as to look at the engine from the front that would also cause electrical issues ??. BUT YES A FEW PULLEYS to choose from i suspect the worst problem cost wise would be the AC pump ? is it a rad out job to get at this lot ?

bob

Post #439153 21st May 2017 3:47pm
Joe90

England 

Quick check, any wiggle on the viscous fan? If so, likely water pump?

Easier with rad out, much more access, especially alternator .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #439162 21st May 2017 6:15pm
BOBCUSSEN

hi jo

ok i will bare that in mind and hopefully the garage will find the problem is in fact an obvious one, and not have to search too far

bob

Post #439173 21st May 2017 7:45pm
BOBCUSSEN

hi guys

re jo's comment about if there is any play wobble in th viscous fan; then its probably the water pump !!

are you referring to the electric fan ? if so why would that have any connection with the belt drive and a possible pulley problem Question Question

Post #439223 22nd May 2017 9:04am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

not the electric fan , the fan attached to pulley 1 (waterpump) is the viscous fan

Post #439225 22nd May 2017 9:51am
BOBCUSSEN

ah ok; understand now

i will visit the garage this afternoon

let you know

thanks guys

bob

Post #439251 22nd May 2017 12:14pm
BOBCUSSEN

hi guys

just been to garage; the problem is the main crank pulley i think it is which takes both belts

the ring on the pulley that the alternator belt revolves on, is loose and just going around on the pulley hence the sparks, and in turn not actually turning the alternator , hence loss of electrics, so new one on order, so not nothing tooo serious apart from the labour stripping half the front of the car out, and the pulley cost !!!

thanks as always to the help

bob Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #439262 22nd May 2017 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1