Print this entire topic · 
EmiratesA380

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aintree Green
In Car HEATER - PROBLEM

Last edited by EmiratesA380 on 8th Jul 2019 10:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #439166 21st May 2017 5:56pm
Joe90

England 

It is just not cold enough inside or outside of the car?

Have you turned "Automatic" off (press button inside fan speed button to get rid of lights) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #439174 21st May 2017 6:52pm
mr_spock

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Moving the dial to red doesn't make hot air come out. It's just the air is 100% through the heater system, which may or may not be giving you heat. As you move to blue it blends cold air from the AC.

Post #439175 21st May 2017 7:12pm
EmiratesA380

Hey Joe 90

You may be just right !

So what you are saying the the Air Temp ( both inside the car & outside the car ) - is not cold enough ?

also - yes Ive turned the Automatic off - Hell I fly a A380 so I know a thing or too !

Appreciate your input as usual

Best wishes Joe90

Post #439221 22nd May 2017 7:52am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

1. Poss air block in coolant system into heater matrix.

2. Internal flap not fully opening (behind red-blue dial) due to dust/debris.

Try taking off and re-seating the pollen/air filter at the rear of the engine/ front of the biulkhead. This cleared my issue with no hot air. Dunno why? 😗

Post #439226 22nd May 2017 8:51am
EmiratesA380

Last edited by EmiratesA380 on 8th Jul 2019 10:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #439240 22nd May 2017 10:36am
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

EmiratesA380 wrote:
Hey Joe 90

You may be just right !

So what you are saying the the Air Temp ( both inside the car & outside the car ) - is not cold enough ?

also - yes Ive turned the Automatic off - Hell I fly a A380 so I know a thing or too !

Appreciate your input as usual

Best wishes Joe90

So does my younger brother, and I wouldn't trust him with a chocolate spanner let alone real tools Laughing

Post #439279 22nd May 2017 6:54pm
EmiratesA380

not worth belonging too

Last edited by EmiratesA380 on 8th Jul 2019 10:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #439286 22nd May 2017 7:38pm
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hi EmiratesA380

Let us know how you get on solving this issue, as I have something similar (No significant difference when using the roller to blend) & intended to have a look at it later.
I feel that is may be just cable adjustment that's required.

Post #439291 22nd May 2017 8:30pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

EmiratesA380 wrote:
Hi rodp

I am sorry if you work in Tesco's - you must get out more

Say hello to your son - looks like his got a good future ahead of him !

Well you've lost me on that one I must admit. And I shall say hello to my son in just a few short weeks. And as for my brother, well it's some sort of Airbus, they're all the same to me, big tubes with wings flown by computers Laughing

Tesco's ????

Post #439296 22nd May 2017 9:33pm
EmiratesA380

[quote="Highroller"]Hi EmiratesA380

Hope the above helps you

Last edited by EmiratesA380 on 8th Jul 2019 10:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #439308 23rd May 2017 8:07am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

This may not apply to later models but, according to the owners' manual, Auto should be used:
"Maximum heating
Set the temperature control to maximum and
the air conditioning air distribution control to
‘AUTO’, with the blower at the slowest speed
(position 1) until the temperature gauge
indicates that the engine is warming up - the
blower speed can then be increased. Set the
centre face ventilation temperature control fully
towards the red indicator.
Auto cold start
In winter conditions, the Auto cold start
function can be used to automatically maximise
interior comfort levels.
To enable the function, turn the air conditioning
air distribution control to ‘AUTO’.£

The setrup may be different for later cars but in mine the AC is independent of the Auto in that there is a separate button (with a frost symbol) which needs to be used to bring the AC into play.

Might be totally irrelevant but just to mention it as you said you had switched Auto off. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #439319 23rd May 2017 10:41am
EmiratesA380

Weegie

Appreciated and noted - Thank you
Thumbs Up

Will look at later

Post #439325 23rd May 2017 11:08am
EmiratesA380

Highroller wrote:
Hi EmiratesA380

Let us know how you get on solving this issue, as I have something similar (No significant difference when using the roller to blend) & intended to have a look at it later.
I feel that is may be just cable adjustment that's required.

Here we go HiRoller

Hope this help you also:

OVERVIEW
The air conditioning (A/C) control system automatically adjusts the temperature, volume and distribution of the air from the
heater to maintain the individual temperature levels selected for the left-hand (LH) and right-hand (RH) sides of the cabin.
The system also has manual overrides for the intake air source, blower speed and air distribution.
Some vehicles may be fitted with a 4 zone climate control system.

ATC MODULE
The ATC module is installed in the center of the instrument panel. An integral control panel contains push switches and
rotary switches/knobs for system control inputs. Orange tell-tale light emitting diode (LED)s in the switches and switch
surrounds illuminate to indicate the current settings of the system. The rotary temperature switch is graduated in degrees
Celsius, except on USA vehicles, where it is graduated in degrees Fahrenheit.
An in-vehicle temperature sensor and associated electric fan are installed behind a grille in the control panel.
The ATC module processes inputs from the control panel switches and system sensors, then outputs the appropriate signals
to control the A/C system. In addition to controlling the A/C system, the ATC module also controls the following:
The heated windshield and windshield wiper parking area heater (optional fit, not available on vehicles with infra red
protection glass).
The windshield washer jet heaters.
The heated rear window.
The front seat heaters.

LH and RH Temperature Switches
Adjusts the nominal temperature settings of the LH and RH sides of the cabin between 16 and 28 °C (60 and 84 °F). The
temperature range is engraved on the switch surrounds. A pointer on each switch indicates the selected temperature. In the
minimum and maximum temperature positions, the system operates at maximum cooling or maximum heating
respectively.

Automatic Mode Switc
h
Activates the automatic modes for air volume and distribution and also activates the A/C compressor. Separate LEDs in the
automatic mode switch illuminate when the blower and the distribution control doors are in automatic mode. Manually
selecting the blower speed or a distribution switch extinguishes the related LED.

Inputs and Outputs
Five electrical connectors provide the interface between the ATC module and the vehicle/heater assembly wiring.
The ATC (automatic temperature control) receives all information from EMS via BCM. If the signal is CAN (controller area
network) based and it has an associated QF (Quality Factor), then this is what will be stored in RAM (random access
memory), so that it will be possible to log via CCP. If the signal is CAN based and lacking a QF, or if the signal is hardwired,
then the HVAC s/w must determine the applicable QF value and report this via diagnostics or CCP when requested.
If a fault develops and QF = 0 at start up, then the evaporator sensor signal is used until QF >= 2.
If evaporator temperature sensor is faulty, then a default of 10oC will be used until either sensor QF >= 2.
If ambient temperature sensor QF >= 2 at start up, then during session QF drops to <2>= 2 again.

IN-VEHICLE TEMPERATURE SENSOR
The in-vehicle temperature sensor is an encapsulated negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistor that provides the
ATC module with an input of cabin air temperature. The in-vehicle temperature sensor is installed behind a grille in the ATC
module control panel. An electric fan in the ATC module runs, to draw air through the grille and across the in-vehicle
temperature sensor based on:
If MSCAN-Bus inactiv/active then
Fan on for 300sec, then switch off.
If Power mode changes to 4, then
Fan on for 300sec then fan off.
If Power mode changes to 6 and HVAC on, then
Fan is on.
If Power mode changes to 6 and HVAC off, then
Fan on for 15sec, then fan off.
If fan off, then fan requested to be on, then
Wait x sec before fan on.
If Power mode 7, then:
Fan on regardless of HVAC on/off status.
Fan is not disabled during crank (Power mode 9)
The ATC module uses the signal from the in-vehicle temperature sensor for control of the coolant temperature valve(s),
blower speed and air distribution.
The signal voltage from the in-vehicle temperature sensor is between 0 and 5 V. The ATC module monitors the signal
voltage and defaults to a temperature of 20 °C (68 °F) if it goes out of the range 0.4 - 4.8 V:
If the signal voltage is less than 0.4 V, the ATC module assumes there is a short circuit to ground.
If the signal voltage is more than 4.8 V, the ATC module assumes there is an open circuit or a short circuit to
battery.

The signal voltage from the evaporator temperature sensor is between 0 and 5 V. The ATC module monitors the signal
voltage and defaults to a temperature of 0 °C (32 °F) if it goes out of the range 0.157 - 4.784 V:
If the signal voltage is less than 0.157 V, the ATC module assumes there is a short circuit to ground.
If the signal voltage is more than 4.784 V, the ATC module assumes there is an open circuit or a short circuit to
battery.

HEATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR
The heater temperature sensor is a NTC thermistor that provides the ATC module with a temperature signal from the air
outlet side of the heater core. Two sensors are installed, one each side of the vehicle center-line.
The ATC module uses the input from the heater temperature sensors to control the operation of the coolant valves.
The signal voltage from each heater temperature sensor is between 0 and 5 V. The ATC module monitors the signal voltage
and defaults to a temperature of 55 °C (131 °F) if it goes out of the range 0.173 - 4.890 V:
If the signal voltage is less than 0.173 V, the ATC module assumes there is a short circuit to ground
If the signal voltage is more than 4.890 V, the ATC module assumes there is an open circuit or a short circuit to
battery.

AUXILIARY COOLANT PUMP
The auxiliary coolant pump is an electric pump that ensures there is a satisfactory flow rate through the heater core at low
engine speeds. The auxiliary coolant pump is installed in the engine compartment, in a rubber mounting attached to the
side of the LH suspension turret. Operation of the auxiliary coolant pump is controlled by a power supply from the ATC
module.

PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION
The system operates on the reheat principle. Air entering the heater assembly is cooled to a constant value by the
evaporator and then reheated as necessary by the heater core to produce the temperature(s) selected on the control panel.
To determine the various system settings, the ATC module derives a reference value (called the Y factor) from:
The temperature setting on the control panel.
The ambient temperature.
The in-vehicle temperature.
The reference value is measured in %, where -27.5% means maximum cooling is required and 100% means maximum
heating is required. Separate reference values are produced for the LH and RH sides of the heater assembly.
The reference value is used for temperature control. The driver's side reference value is also used for door positioning and
blower speed calculations.
When the ignition is turned off the ATC module memorizes the system settings and resumes the same settings the next
time the ignition is switched on.

Temperature Control

To determine the amount of heat required, in the form of coolant flow through the heater, the ATC module compares the
reference value with the heater temperature and incorporates a correction factor to compensate for changes of coolant flow
rate with engine speed. From the resultant value the ATC module determines the open duration of the coolant valve and
outputs the appropriate control signal. On the automatic system, separate values and output signals are generated for each
coolant valve to produce the individual temperature control for the LH and RH sides of the cabin.
When the temperature setting on the control panel is set to maximum, the ATC module signals the coolant valve to remain
open. When the temperature setting on the control panel is set to minimum, the ATC module signals the coolant valve to
remain closed.
On the automatic system, the minimum setting is over-ridden when the defrost program, maximum A/C, rest heating or
fuel fired booster heater functions are selected.

Maximum A/C

Pressing the maximum A/C switch while the engine is running and the ambient temperature is more than 7 °C (45 °F)
provides the maximum cooling possible from the system to cool the cabin down as rapidly as possible. When maximum A/C
is selected the coolant valves are held closed, the A/C compressor is engaged, the blower speed is set to maximum and the
recirculation doors are set to the recirculation position. After 12 minutes the recirculation doors will be set to fresh air for 1
minute then returned to the recirculation position.
The maximum A/C function is cancelled when any of the other A/C system switches are pressed.

Rest Heating
When the engine is not running, pressing the maximum A/C switch activates the rest heating function to heat the cabin
with residual heat from the engine. The rest heating function activates provided the following conditions exist:
It is less than 2 minutes since the ignition was selected off.
Ambient temperature is less than 15 °C (59 °F).
On the previous ignition cycle engine temperature exceeded 70 °C (158 °F).
Battery voltage is 11.4 V minimum.
To provide the rest heating function, the ATC module activates the auxiliary coolant pump, coolant valves, control door and
blower. The ATC module regulates the temperature (to the driver setting selected before the ignition was switched off),
opens the face level distribution doors and runs the blower at speed 4.
The rest heating function is cancelled after 15 minutes or when
The maximum A/C switch is pressed again.
The ignition is selected on.
Battery voltage decreases to less than 11 V.

So in a nut sheel I am going to get to the bottom of this -

Hope this helps you too - Hi Roller

Post #439329 23rd May 2017 11:49am
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Great info, I didn't realise that there were so many sensors.
Although I have good Hot & cold heating, I'm sure that it's not working in the correct manner.
I shall have a dabble & up date accordingly. Many Thanks.

Post #439348 23rd May 2017 4:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>