Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 M62 rough idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver
4.4 M62 rough idle

hi all - i know this is a 'how longs a piece of string' question but what are common causes of a rough idle in these... its used to purr like a cheshire cat on startup but now its a little rough - fine when driving. any ideas?

Post #439697 26th May 2017 2:06pm
alistairh

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I've dealt with it 3 times since January.. 1st was the rubber seal from the air inlet to the throttle body.. heat had shrivelled it letting in unmonitored air. 2nd was a bad coil pack. Lastly was an injector playing up . Hit that one with some bg44k and it shifted luckily for me..

Post #439698 26th May 2017 2:28pm
Danwilderspin

Meant to say two things - i run a cone filter and have done for a year and hasn't caused me issues. Also it is mildly better on lpg.

How did you identify your issues with diagnostics or just looking around?

Post #439701 26th May 2017 2:58pm
Lukie

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

if it's dual fuel does it happen on both ?

start the car from cold listen to engine see if you can hear sucking

throw it on a diagnostic machine see if live data helps to show missfire ect

failing all that, may be a good service, and change plugs, if you are LPG what plugs are you running?

Post #439702 26th May 2017 2:59pm
Danwilderspin

how often do you do plugs on these they've bene in about 20k tbh use either NGK-R or Bosch normally can't remember what i went with last time... Oil service was only at xmas but didn't check plugs. it happens less on lpg but it takes a while to warm up to switch over so it may just be because its warmer. also i am convinced sometimes on startup theres a feint smell of petrol under the bonnet...

Post #439706 26th May 2017 3:40pm
alistairh

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Dan.. nothing showed on the iid tool.. all I did with the coils was pull them one at a time with the engine running and when I got to the bad pack the engine rpm never changed when i unplugged it..the other issues where trial and error

Post #439711 26th May 2017 4:36pm
Danwilderspin

I'm guessing the dead cool made it run rough on driving too which mine doesn't?

Post #439712 26th May 2017 4:59pm
Lukie

Danwilderspin wrote:
how often do you do plugs on these they've bene in about 20k tbh use either NGK-R or Bosch normally can't remember what i went with last time... Oil service was only at xmas but didn't check plugs. it happens less on lpg but it takes a while to warm up to switch over so it may just be because its warmer. also i am convinced sometimes on startup theres a feint smell of petrol under the bonnet...

as you can smell petrol sometimes on startup I would suggest the LPG system is becoming blocked up,
run the casr purely on petrol for 100 miles everything should be perfect in which case bad LPG or maybe blocked injectors/vaporiser

this is a comman issue that some folks don't understand so I will try and explain for everyone

LPG ECU takes it's instructions from the CAR ECU, the LPG when running emulates the injector pulses back to the CAR ECU, the LAMBDA sensor reviews the exhaust fumes, as the LPG system is a little lean the CAR ECU increases the injector timing to allow more fuel in (remember the car still think's it's on petrol)

when the car now starts it's starting on a worn LPG system an over fueling, this is giving the rough running and petrol smell, after 100 miles the car ECU will reset it's self to run correctly on petrol, than you need to look at the LPG system, cleaned or retuned if thing's have become a little worn over time

LPG runs better on single node spark plugs, I would always recommend BRISK plugs which are around £30 a set

if you fancy a trip to liverpool I can help with the LPG system I have most software for LPG kits of all brands

Post #439715 26th May 2017 5:22pm
Danwilderspin

Just ran for 100 miles yesterday on petrol still lumpy on petrol idle fine on gas even after that.

Also not sure if it's related but after driving whether on petrol or gas you can smell petrol from the side of the car near the filler. I put a new seal on the cap but not done anything....

Post #439852 28th May 2017 8:38am
Lukie

so other possibility is a fuel leak somewhere, check all lines from tank upto front of the car, what LPG system do you have installed? some can be forced to start on gas so you could rule out a cold start problem or a petrol start problem

Post #439884 28th May 2017 5:25pm
Danwilderspin

Yea I have a zavoli system so I could try a cold start by holding it on a warmer day - also had the tank covers off no obvious leaks didn't go all the way to the front as ran out of time but there were no stains or anything

Post #439957 29th May 2017 12:39pm
Lukie

you may not get a stain, if the leak is slight dropping the pressure on the rail you pipe would get wet but would soon evaporate leaving no signs, next job check fuel pipe and return pipes tank to fuel rail and back,

could also be an o ring on petrol injector sucking in air instead of leaking fuel

Post #439979 29th May 2017 3:19pm
Danwilderspin

Hi all thought I'd better reply - it ended up being the purge valve. Got a quote from lr £105 plus vat ... then gave my part number to bmw £55 all in! That one hell of a markup lr must make...

Anyway I changed it you don't even need tools the pipes are push fit and now I have a nice idle and no horrible stink

Post #442913 27th Jun 2017 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1