Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Choice of next car.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I wonder when property developers will catch on to this ?

An electric, short distance runabout would be perfect for me, but I have nowhere to charge it.

I have recently moved into the city - great apartment & a parking space in a secure garage - but no electricity down there..... they are going to have to start building the garages with electric sockets either somehow hooked up to the right apartment, or more likely on separate meters.

Post #450178 7th Sep 2017 12:32pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

Yeah, I have been crunching some numbers on an electric car as I'm considering selling my E350 estate now I have the RR, and thought it may be a good option as a cheap car to run around in, but the numbers just don't stack up yet.

Like above, I would need a meter fitting in my garage, and with the £49 a month battery rental it doesn't make any financial sense really.

Second car doing 8k or maybe 10k a year it would need roughly 25 charges, which would cost me £375, which sounds great for a year. However, there is then the battery rental at £600.
Plus any standing charges/rent for a metre, but let's ignore that.
We are looking at around £975 a year to 'fuel' it.

Neighbour has a 1.4tfsi A3 and he gets 46mpg pretty much whatever he does, round town or on a motorway cruise if you want to go any faster than 70mph. It costs him £1100 a year in fuel.

So there is a saving, but only £125 a year or £2.50 a week.

Not sure the restrictions that an electric car bring, such as range, having to find somewhere to charge etc. justify the costs yet? Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #450195 7th Sep 2017 3:53pm
Pfazz

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

On the subject of electric cars, I have yet to see a solution to how all these vehicles can be charged at night, when the majority will be at home, and parked outside houses without off road parking. Agueroooooooooo. 93-20
I swear you will never see anything like this ever again....watch it..drink it in.

Post #450212 7th Sep 2017 5:55pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

These range figures they give, does this cover the likes of a february morning when you have the heater, head lights and wipers flat out ? How much is this going to reduce the range by?
Do they mention what happens to Lithium batteries if they rupture in the event of an accident, I assume they're a much bigger target than a small fuel tank in the boot.

Post #450277 8th Sep 2017 4:23pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

And it's fortunate that the production of electricity and the batteries is pollution free. As well as their eventual disposal. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #450287 8th Sep 2017 5:16pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

To be fair, there is a reason for only measuring pollution at source.

If we're going to include the environmental costs of electricity production, we're going to need to add the environmental costs of the oil industry that provides our diesel, from exploration, to extraction, to shipping and refining too.

And with electrical power generation it's easier to monitor, control and improve their emissions than it is with millions of vehicles burning petrol and diesel.

Post #450293 8th Sep 2017 5:59pm
rodp

True, but they have to find and mine Lithium so that equals out I would think.

Post #450294 8th Sep 2017 6:08pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

But there is such a very long list with the oil industry that it's hard to know where to start! Let's try the Amoco Haven:

Post #450298 8th Sep 2017 6:24pm
rodp

True, but they've drilled for years. let's see how well Lithium mining goes and what disasters occur. There's also other considerations if you're looking at whole life. When you refine and burn oil there's very little that isn't used for one thing or another, what's going to happen to Lithium and the other toxic chemicals from batteries? I suppose we'll just ship it to some beach in India and let them deal with it.
One thing's for certain, at this moment in time you'll have to dig very deep to find the true facts about electric cars because the downside will be well and truly buried.

As an aside, what happens about the fact that very few houses have the electrical capacity to charge a high ampage long range battery overnight.?

Post #450300 8th Sep 2017 6:34pm
Invernesssc

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Time to jump into this discussion!
As a long time lurker on the forums, hello!, and a ff s/c owner, which I absolutely love, I also have a tesla model S.
We have only had it for 3 months, and already, to me, it has proved to be an amazing machine.

I have read this thhread through, and believe me, before we got this car, I had all the discussions, doubts, and confusion in my head about electric cars.
Now after 3 momths, and 4000 miles, I can truly say it was a very wise, and fun choice.

Charging issues are pretty much non existent, and the car will comfotably do 250 miles between charges. We dont charge up at home, as charging at a local charger is free, and easy to drop the car off for an hour or two, as required.
We charhe up while out and about, drive 2-3 hours, the stop for a hallf hour break, topping up charge as we go.
Tesla supercharging network is amazing.

If anyone wants more info, please message me directly.

Regards,
Donnie

Post #450490 10th Sep 2017 9:15pm
rodp

So you can drive for two or three hours then charge for half an hour while you have a break ? That's good for another two or three hours again then, yes ?
What happens if charging point already taken?

Post #450501 10th Sep 2017 10:43pm
Invernesssc

Yes if you are using a Tesla supercharger. They throw approx 300 miles/ hour into the car.
There is normally banks of 6 of these installed together, either at service, or at nice (ish) hotels, meaning you can have a good break.
If you use a chademo (50kw) charger, you will get approx 150 miles in per hour.

There are slower chargers dotted about everywhere, the type 2 22kw charger near me fills at 30 miles per hour, ok if I am leaving the car, and not using it.
However, all these chargers are FREE FUEL 😃

There is no charge to use them, apart from a £20 per year registration charge.

Its also important to note that the last 15% or so of the battery as it fills up takes a bit longer to fil, so best to charge to about 80%, unless you need the full range.
So if you drive 100 miles, depending on traffic may take you 1.5 -2 hours. Im ready for a wee break then. I still have about 150 miles available, if it was full.
Take a 20-30 min break, top the car up to full with a supercharger, or close to full with a chademo, and you are good for another 250 miles. How far will you travel in a day?
I have done a 600 mile journey, quite easily, with no stress, as im taking regular short breaks.

600 miles in my FF would be at least £160 😳

Post #450502 10th Sep 2017 11:02pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Yes, the biggest draw is the 'free fuel'.

No blame here as I'd do exactly the same thing in your situation. This isn't meant as a personal criticism.

But step back and think. A Tesla is an expensive, luxury automobile. And we (the taxpayers) are subsidising 100% of the fuel cost for folks that can very easily afford it.

It's neither right, nor sustainable. Memories is "be good to the environment: buy a diesel" are coming back. It's a great dance, as long as the music keeps playing.

With an electric car, a lot of the motoring cost is upfront and the 'fill ups' are always going to be a lot cheaper than petrol or diesel. Fair enough. It IS the future. Buy why electric cars are entitled to free electricity and no one else is isn't fair.

Rant over. Sorry. Embarassed As I said, nothing personal. And Tesla does have the market completely to itself at the moment for ready-to-buy luxury electric cars with useable ranges. Enjoy.

Post #450511 11th Sep 2017 1:20am
Invernesssc

Its a valid point, and I do tend to agree with you.
However, I didnt get where I am in life by turning down a free lunch, I dont make the rules, but IF the situation suits me, I will go along with it.

There is also the govt interest free loans of up to £35000 to but an electric car, again, a no brainer. Why spend my own money, when it can make more money sitting in an investment.

It wasnt purely a financial decision buying the tesla, it truly is a great car, and I know its the best car I have ever owned.
And saying that, if I had to buy fuel, at whatever it cost, and didnt get a help with the cost of it, I would still have it, and would still love it.

anyway, I contribute enough to the economy running my FF!! 😃😳

Post #450514 11th Sep 2017 1:40am
rodp

What votage and what amp hour is the battery ? When they start to hammer you for these fill ups (and they will, big time once you're a captive market) will normal household supply be physically man enough to power a super charger? I'm thinking that shortly you're going to need 12 hours or more to do 300 miles, and that's no good to man nor beast.

Post #450578 11th Sep 2017 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>