Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Insurance and mods
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey
Insurance and mods

Hi all , just a question really, any vehicle I buy is second hand, I read a lot on here about how this mod or that mod could cause insurance claim issues. How is someone buying a second hand car / bike supposed to know if something is standard or otherwise. Just as an example , a guy has posted about his new bulbs and another poster warned of the implications of the bulbs potentially causing issues in the case of a claim. I recently bought a gsxr 1000 that's been heavily modified but externally looks completely stock. A buyer would be completely unaware of the mods. Is it a case of the person holding the insurance having to check their own vehicle for compliance with manufacturer specs because unless you bought he vehicle from new and serviced it yourself , how would you ever know for sure ? 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #441202 11th Jun 2017 10:49am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I think it would be down to the individual to declare the mods to the insurer and check what has been done.

Some mods are obvious, some not so much. But all should be delayed. Most won't make a difference to the policy but could cause issues in the event of a claim.

in the case of second hand cars, it would be down to the purchaser to make enquiries as to what was and wasn't standard. Fro example on the FF, tints on the windows wouldn't be an issue if they were privacy glass fitted in the factory but aftermarket film should be declared, LR alloys shouldn't be an issue, but some Kahn or Hawke alloys may meed to be mentioned.

same goes for performance mods, side steps, exhausts, aftermarket Audio etc etc.

Most insurers have a list of what does and doesn't need to be declared to them. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #441204 11th Jun 2017 11:13am
dolph34

Ok but I was more making the point of mods that you might not be aware of , as in my example of the bulbs. My RR was 7 years old when I bought it , I will not be checking bulbs ( for example ) until they need replacing . 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #441205 11th Jun 2017 11:18am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

unless the bulbs are a different colour, I can t see that smaller items like that would make a difference to the insurer, in the end they all fit in the holder, and are generally the same spec just brighter.

If you were to mod them so that it was originally halogen and you put in HID bulbs then this would likely need declaring, however just putting in brighter versions of the same bulbs...... is that a mod or just changing the bulb? These are replaceable items in any case, for the insurer to have an issue I would think it would have to cause safety concerns such as not being bright enough etc.

On a car there aren't may mods which you would not be aware of which would cause an issue, the only ones I can think of may be, remapping, wrong rating on tyres, tinted front side windows, aftermarket side steps and other external mods most of which should be obvious if they are not factory. For example the car is covered in chrome bits...... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #441209 11th Jun 2017 11:39am
dolph34

I agree , that's why I brought it up, other posters ( advising to be helpful , I'm sure ) do say the bulbs could cause an issue in the event of an accident. Currently a thread on general about replacement main beam bulbs discusses this. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #441210 11th Jun 2017 11:52am
lounge_on_wheels

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

We have a problem here in Australia where inconsiderate road users fit non spec light bulbs, either of higher wattage or or high temperature, some do HID bulb conversions, this dazzles other road users.
The problem is that the non HID etc reflectors are designed for halogen bulbs, fitting aftermarket bulbs not to O.E.M specs might give the driver more light but it is a damn nuisance and dangerous to other on coming road users that are caused eye discomfort and blindness whilst approaching those vehicles GRRRRRRR!
A 4wd vehicle also sits higher than a standard car, so it is also annoying if a 4wd with these illegal lights sits behind you and you are blinded in the rear vision mirror, yes you can dip the rear vision mirror, but when it blinds you via the side mirrors , I nearly ran off a windy road because of a vehicle behind me caused me blindness by reflected light, GRRRRRR!
Those that fit them always seem to find excuses for breaching the law but the law is the law it's there for a reason.

Post #441310 12th Jun 2017 11:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1