Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Heavy Steering at slow speed / BCM Voltage output OK ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue
Heavy Steering at slow speed / BCM Voltage output OK ?

I posted a few months about having intermittently heavy steering at very slow speed & planning to change the Servotronic valve on the rack.
I changed the valve & it appeared to have solved the problem - for at least a day - lol. It then reverted to being intermittently OK & now seems to be permanently without full assist at slow speed.
I've checked all the usual potential culprits of fuses, PS fluid levels & cleanliness etc without identifying anything of use.

I think I'm now down to only the wiring or the output from the Body Control Module (BCM) as possible issues, so decided to make up a bridging loom to go between the servotronic valve & the main loom - so that I could partially check what the valve was receiving as a signal.
Much to my surprise the valve is receiving anything between 2~7.5V at motorway speed down to stationary & switching the signal off to the rack definitely makes the steering heavier still at stationary / slow speed, with much less impact at speed - suggesting the BCM is outputting enough signal to make the servotronic valve add some varying additional assistance. At very low speeds though there is definitely not the assistance there should be or was intermittently when I first bought the car 8 months ago.

My question to the many others out there who've had this problem is, did any of you measure the signal at the servotronic AFTER you solved the problem - ie when all was well ?
Is my 7.5V OK or too low to provide max assistance from the servotronic valve ?
I know the BCM outputs a PWM signal - ie the voltage & current are turned off & on frequently to modulate the output for the lower assistance reqmt - but at max assistance maybe its virtually a solid output ?
Before I spend a lot more money on a replacement BCM, I'd like to have better justification that is the cause.

BTW I have no other central locking or other electrical oddities (fingers crossed - lol) that would further point at the BCM.
Thanks in advance Smile Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #487469 29th Aug 2018 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1