Home > General > Hello
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Camby

United Kingdom 
Hello

Hi guys,

I've just joined up because I'm considering buying my first Range Rover and want to make as informed a decision as possible. I'm currently running a 3 year old RS4 which I've owned from new. The RS4 is a great car and I'm in no rush, but my previous car was an RS4 as well and I fancy a change. I've test driven an L405 4.4v8 autobiography and really liked it, but I want to make sure I'm making the right choice at the right time.

My budget is in the region of £57.5k-£61.5k and I'm really just looking for how best to spend my money. Obviously the AB is the top of the line and the various toys would be lovely to have, but given the budget, is there an argument for (for example) going for a decent spec Vogue SE and getting a younger car, or since this is my first RR, should I be making the most of all the comforts and toys they have to offer? Looking for a black or dark grey car and am swithering between black or ivory interior. Also, I've only driven a 4.4V8 - would the 3.0 be too much of a loss of power from the RS4? Also, how much difference does the active roll make in slow cornering situations? There's nothing that would annoy me more than the thing leaning like mad just coming round a roundabout or tight corner - certainly the 4.4 seemed well composed in these situations.

Anyway, I'll get on with some reading meantime and maybe start a specific thread at some point.

Post #442177 21st Jun 2017 10:02am
Big Boy R44ROV

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

Hi Camby.
First of all welcome ! You've certainly come to the right place for informed decisions.
With that sort of budget, it wold appear you can pretty much get what you're looking for.
The L405 is a completely different beast to the RS4, in terms of handling, speed etc. The V8 Diesel is a lump to drag round, and would probably be noticed when being hard pressed into corners.
However, Range Rovers aren't meant to be pushed like that......because we don't need to cos we know we are driving the best car aound Whistle
If it's the handling and power element that may be the issue to you, have you considered the 5.0 Supercharged L405 or the 5.0 SC Sport? The handling and power would be more akin to what you've been used to. certainly in the Sport, and you can still get all the toys and AB spec ! I'm sure though there's more people better qualified than me with better opinions! Thumbs Up
Whistle Tony
You're always in the Censored ........it's just the depth that varies
2011 5.0 Autobiography Fuji White
2019 Audi Q2 in White
04 SL55AMG

Gone:
07 4.2 SC in silver.
06 4.2 SC in black RSE
RRS 4.2 SC in Black RSE
52 4.4 Vogue in silver
04 Mercedes CLK 320 Conv
03 4.0 V8 ES Disco in Silver
00 TD5 90 County
98 4.6 HSE in Epsom x3
97 3.9ES Disco
93 L 4.2 LSE in black
too many classics to mention !
V8 Lightweight
Too many series to mention !
IID for L322

Post #442180 21st Jun 2017 10:34am
Camby

United Kingdom 

Hi Big Boy... Shocked Laughing

I do appreciate that I am going to be giving up a good bit of performance in the speed and handling stakes and am happy to do so for the additional comfort etc. However, given there seems to be minimal price differential between 4.4 and 3.0 it seems like the 4.4 might be the better option for me with its extra power and active roll reduction, albeit in exchange for a little additional roughness on idle if what I read is correct, and that won't be a big issue to me coming from the RS4.

Post #442182 21st Jun 2017 10:43am
stu

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Welcome Camby,

I agree with all that Big Boy has said, the FFRR is not meant to be chucked around, it is something you waft along in, but it does have a good turn of speed and acceleration if you poke it! I like you have had some powerful cars, including a 600bhp Nissan, which was lower than a snakes belly and rattled every filling in your mouth out.. Crying or Very sad

Toys are good and you only get them by buying top end cars, You will not find all the FFRR's you look at have the same spec either depends what the original owner has wanted.

For your budget though you will get the best available, as you say don't rush find what you want and enjoy it to the max, these are the best cars on the road in my opinion, I have had them all from the original classic up and they just get better and better as time goes on, there is no better place to be no matter what the weather or type of road you are driving on.

If all else fails, buy a Q7.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Past: TDV8(4.4) Vogue
Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #442185 21st Jun 2017 11:50am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Personally I would drive the 3.0 too and decide if you need the extra poke of the 4.4

one thing to check on the 3.0 is if the VIN range of the car fall into the area which suffered problems with self destructing power trains.......

on second thoughts go with the 4.4..... Whistle

in terms of spec, there aren't many which will leave you feeling short changed. Don't get too hung up on things like RSE and surround cameras. Generally speaking an iPad is a better bet than the RSE and you will rarely use the surround cameras.

personally I would look at the spec list and decide what you need, then try and find a car which best fits those needs, be it a vogue, SE or AB. They can all be specced up or down, and you can find vogues with more toys and AB's with less toys. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #442211 21st Jun 2017 4:22pm
stu

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Correct me if I'm wrong all the new 3.0 v6's are chain driven too, so no experience belt changes to worry about! Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Past: TDV8(4.4) Vogue
Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #442221 21st Jun 2017 5:14pm
AMTony

I came out of my tweaked 2016 A6 bi-tdi Avant and the 4.4 V8d Range Rover is slow when compared. It will be mega slow when compared to your car.

I have other fast cars but when driving my RR I never feel the need to drive it like you stole it.

I think that you tend to drive to the car you are in, if that makes sense, and wafting seems to be the order of the day with the RR.

Its now a pleasure to wait at junctions and for those extra long waits, the seat massage provides added serenity Thumbs Up

Post #442242 21st Jun 2017 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1