Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > DPF regeneration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi Tommy, thx for the info. Do you know if the iCarsoft is VIN locked?

Cheers, Greg
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #482728 6th Jul 2018 7:46am
GGDR

Been reading lots of posts on blocked DPFs but I found this was quite interesting:
(was a 4.4TDV8 Range Rover)

Quote:
Been off grid for a couple of weeks and just caught up on the thread.
Two weeks into our trip and the DPF filter warning light came on again despite several hundred miles of driving, with trips ranging from 30mls to 230 mls.
Land Rover Assist were called and fortunately the guy that came out seemed to know his stuff. Within a few minutes he had his diagnostic computer attached to the car and said he thought he knew the root cause of the DPF issues.
Up went the bonnet a large hose looking thing was unclipped and a finger prodded into a black box. Thought so he said and promptly fitted a new black box. Jump into the car and we can start the re-gen cycle he said.
On route the technician explained what had just happened. Firstly he said the re-gen cycle requires the system to recognise the pressure in the DPF had changed, indicating the need. Secondly a quarter of a tank of fuel must be present to ensure the cycle can be completed. A large injection fuel is then initiated to raise the temperature in the DPF high enough to burn off the soot/carbon.
At this point the problem began, the black box was in fact the throttle body and the finger prod was to check if the butterfly valve was sticking, which it was. This valve is what controls the fuel flow to ensure, among other things, the re-gen is controlled at the correct temperature within the DPF. The reason for the reasonably high speed is to provide a good air-flow over the DPF to stop it overheating. The trip lasted about 6 to 8 miles and was carried out at normal revs and about 50mph.
The technician said he was confident I would have no further issues, hope he is right, but as said above he seemed to know his stuff.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-togethe...ssues/?p=4

My two options as I see are to either buy the iCarsoft and trigger an 'Active' (i..e. driving rather than static) Forced DPF Regen or I go to a DPF cleaning place. But I've read just a few too many posts of people doing the latter, only for the problem to come back. SO I am leaning towards clicking buy now on the iCarsoft.

I've emailed the manufacturer in the US with a couple of questions but they've not responded. Trying the place that seems like the UK agent today.

My worry with the latter (i.e. going to a DPF cleaning place) is that that seems to get into a bit of a snake oil world. I know there are proper places that cut out the DPF, chemically clean it and put it back. That would be the only way I'd consider.

So, on balance, I think I'll but the iCarsoft try it then go for the nuclear option (cut out and clean) if the iCarsoft opion fails.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #482731 6th Jul 2018 8:10am
GGDR

Still learning more:

One of the many parameters the DPF software looks at before being happy to commence regen is fuel level.
Due to an extended drive, together with a richer fuel burn, the system won't Regen if fuel is below 1/4 tank.

But I didn't know this and the other night when I set out on Amber DPF light my fuel was very low. I had 30 miles range which was enough to do my usual DPF run in my mind. But it went to RED very suddenly.

I now know one more thing about DPF regen.

Also spoke to the UK agents of iCarsoft. They actually discourage buying it for DPF because to do it you need to meet a number of criteria and then immediately go for a drive at 50mph and not just clear the fault. They had a number of returns due to unsuccessful DPF procedures and they are wary of who buys.

He's supposed to call me back with a bit more info. Will post up updates.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #482748 6th Jul 2018 1:33pm
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Greg, I sense a business opportunity for you and city 4.4 TDV8 RRovers. Idea Thumbs Up

Post #482750 6th Jul 2018 1:49pm
Tommy62

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

No, the ICarsoft is not Win locket. Open for all car brands and types. RUN AND BY Thumbs Up Range Rover L322 TDV8 07
Range Rover P 38 4,6 LPG Autobiography 00
Range Rover P 38 4,6 HSE 00

Post #482771 6th Jul 2018 7:40pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Have you checked all other fault codes? I would check you don't have an underlying issue causing yours to over fuel/fill the DPF prematurely?

Post #482782 6th Jul 2018 8:52pm
GGDR

Thanks Craig.

Well I have not had the turbo drain mod, that's a contributor I guess. I also have the P040D-00(2F) Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temperature Sensor A Circuit High error which is common but I should probably sort.

My driving is 20mph and 30mph roads, short runs and rarely on the motorway. Bad for DPF I know.

Do you think it's viable for me to buy a tool that will enable a forced regen and then do a 15 min / 50mph run once the engine's up to temp and fuel level high enough?

Thanks,
Greg
. Cheers, Greg

Post #482785 6th Jul 2018 9:06pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Greg, i know this is very subjective and not everyone holds my views but... IMHO the temp probe issue makes the car over fuel! Why do i say this? Because everyone i come across with that fault code stink! When running they smell like a 1970's ice cream van!!! The ONLY reason for this smell must be over fuelling! The EGR temp sensor must be the culprit as replacing them gets rid of both the code & the stink!

This obviously fills the DPF QUICKLY! Then you commonly get all these issues you are getting!

I had EXACTLY the same as you on my 2012 L322 which was triggering constant DPF re-gen instructions/problems...

Post #482788 6th Jul 2018 11:07pm
GGDR

stan wrote:
found this greg,

http://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/us...0DPFDR.pdf

costs £175 according to their website..

I found a youtube vid on this one Stan.
I spoke to the company on Friday. The chap said LR told them recently not to sell / allow Forced Regen but they're checking and they are getting back to me Monday. I'll post up their response tomorrow. I think this looks like a good option.

Seems other than the guy in the vid above, nobody's posted anything on a DIY Forced Regen for a Land Rover. I've had a good dig too. The companies (eg as above) all get quite squeemish when they're asked about too.

In the meantime Dizzie Dee has so kindly offer to lend me his iCarsoft. THANKS DEE, see you later on. Bow down Bow down Bow down Cheers, Greg

Post #482819 7th Jul 2018 2:19pm
GGDR

^^ @craig, is the sensor a big job? Any advice on me doing a Forced Regen most welcome too Smile
Thank you!!!
. Cheers, Greg

Post #482831 7th Jul 2018 4:37pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

The sensor can be a HORRIBLE job!!!

I DONT do them myself! I have an agreement with my local MD and they do them for us..

They charge per JLR time which is 0.8hr and the part is something between £40 & £60...

The job often takes several hours... Rolling Eyes

Post #482834 7th Jul 2018 4:59pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Nino,
Did you change this sensor on yours recently?
I remember you posting a really clear picture but not sure if you changed it or decided to leave well alone?

I intend leaving mine just showing the error code, but if ever I get the dreaded oil cooler gasket leak, then I would take advantage to do it whilst it was stripped down.

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #482968 9th Jul 2018 1:59pm
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Not yet Mike, but in light of CTC comments I may go and order the part. I do wanna clean the air plenum so that is the right time for sensor to.

Nino,

Post #482979 9th Jul 2018 3:35pm
GGDR

Pretty sure the error P040D-00(2F) Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temperature Sensor A Circuit High explains this duff reading (although the live value is labelled Exhaust Gas Temperature):

Click image to enlarge

What do we think? Cheers, Greg

Post #483002 9th Jul 2018 6:25pm
GGDR

Attempted iCarsoft Forced Regen:

Dee so kindly lent me his iCarsoft but it would not force a regen. Made a run London to Luton up the M1. took 30mins at 50-70mph, as per the instructions.

Thing is, you're flying a bit blind and I have no idea if it even attempted it as the machine says "start driving, will take up to 30mins" and then press OK. And off you go. There's no feedback or status to tell you what's happening.

So at the end of the 30min run I pressed OK and it said "unsuccessful". No idea if it was actually trying, ie. did it force its way past the RED WARNING. Bear in mind the car's in limp mode, I thought it would remove the RED warning first. Maybe the ECU tried a regen, maybe not.

Thanks a million Dee. Bow down Bow down Bow down

On the return run I did it without the iCarsoft, I'd read on a few forums about people doing a motorway run with a RED warning and some reporting the RED light had cleared. But nothing at the end of the 30mins. And nothing I know can tell you if a Regen is happening.

So have been on the phone / email all day trying to make a good choice as to where I take my 31.5g DPF. Time to call in some expert help. Brownchurch in Essex said they could definitely command a forced regen. But they've probably got a laptop / more advanced machine.

Others I spoke to will cut out the DPF, clean it, reset everything and refit the clean DPF. One place can clean a DPF via the sensor access hole called TUNAP. This is appealing - they claim nearly 100% success rate.

A couple of places still getting back to me and I'll make a decision...

Big Cry
. Cheers, Greg

Last edited by GGDR on 9th Jul 2018 6:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #483005 9th Jul 2018 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>