Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Dealership & Service Feedback > Can't Trust a Word They Say!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
elbitrevnoc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue
Can't Trust a Word They Say!

I'm being given a bit of a run around by a main dealer I'm thinking of buying from. Have put a deposit down against a low mileage 63 plate car, subject to them sorting some bits and pieces for me, but am now having second thoughts - purely because of the garbage they keep telling me and backtracking on things I thought we'd already agreed. After some to-ing and fro-ing I'm now closer to an agreement, but I've rather lost faith in the dealer and confidence in anything they tell me. Most recent examples include telling me that it will cost them £1,000 to service the car for me (hilarious!) - this being part of their justification to offer no further discount - and saying that the warranty includes a free MOT when the car next needs one (this because I want them to freshly MOT the car for me now instead of the circa 5 months it has left to run). I know the warranty will cover remedial work if the car fails the test, but unless I'm missing something I've never seen that it gives you a 'free' MOT as well. They tell me it's a 'new thing.'

My other question is regard the LR Approved warranty. This will be the second car I've bought which is covered by the 2 year LR Approved scheme. This may be a stupid question, but who pays for this? Is it entirely provided by LR or by individual dealer (as they're also telling me)? I would have thought that the multi point inspection was supposedly to satisfy LR that the car had been adequately checked by the dealer, suggesting that it's a LR warranty.

Can someone clarify this please? I'm thinking of pulling out of the deal and waiting for another one - simply because I've lost faith in the dealer, but don't want to cut my nose of to spite my face! 2014 3.0 SDV6 Sport HSE Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus
GONE - 2012 TdV8 Westminster Orkney/Ivory
GONE - 2012 3.0 SDV6 Sport HSE Luxury Orkney Grey/Ivory
GONE - 2006 3.0 Td6 Vogue SE Buckingham Blue/Parchment

Post #446384 2nd Aug 2017 7:08am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I always thought that the dealer buys the warranty from Landrover .

Post #446385 2nd Aug 2017 8:07am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

That was my understanding also - dealer buys a car in, does any remedial work, does the inspection then buys the warranty from LR - so all of that has to be included in their mark up before they add a profit.

The servicing cost will depend on how they do their internal cross charging within the dealership - but wither way, shouldn't be £1k.

You can do the same as a private individual - buy a car from anywhere, have it inspected and buy a LR warranty through the inspecting dealer - not many people go that route though - so you're also paying the dealer to take on some of the risk for you.......

Post #446386 2nd Aug 2017 8:34am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Warranty (even factory) is provided by a 3rd party company, not Land Rover themselves.

As for the OP question....These things are complicated and if you get a troublesome one (which I have) you need a good dealer to help you out. Trust in the dealer is everything for me. Make your own decision for sure but best advice would be to build a good relationship with your chosen dealer and ask them to find the right car for you. Much better than surfing the LR Approved Used site and taking pot luck. Just my 2p.

Post #446387 2nd Aug 2017 8:35am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I agree with all of the above, but get to know the Service Manager, not the salesman.
My recent experiences were pretty good, but I put it down to the service manager being willing to fight my case, particularly to get the turbo drain mod done.
Once he had got his senior technician to test the car and witness the exhaust smoke, he was on the phone to the warranty people. They said no twice, then he got on to JLR explained how bad it was and bingo, they agreed to pay.
Worth noting, at no point did the actual dealership offer to pay.

Also the upper tailgate was replaced under the corrosion warranty which is separate again, and this needed pushing by the body shop manager. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #446388 2nd Aug 2017 8:50am
elbitrevnoc

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. My problem here is that I have no intention of using the dealer post-purchase for anything. They just happen to have what I think is a good car, but I've been put off by their backsliding on things I thought we'd agreed and wild claims about what everything is costing them (like the £1,000 interim service) to justify why they can't do more. Some of what they have said is plain and simply untrue - like the LR Warranty meaning the next MOT will be free.

I wasn't sure if the dealer pays for the warranty or not. I've never really thought about it before, so it might be naive question, but I wondered whether LR UK actually does cover the cost on the basis that the dealer will have performed all the required checks. It would seem in LR's interests for them to do so, in order to tempt customers into used vehicles and to convert them to the marque. If dealers do pay for it, I wonder how much it can cost them - surely nothing like like LR would charge a customer for an extended warranty?

I know it's my choice at the end of the day, but the various half-truths and blatantly false information makes me worry about how this will all turn out if I go ahead. They've undertaken to do a couple of remedial bits and pieces to the car and I now worry how much of an effort they'll actually make! 2014 3.0 SDV6 Sport HSE Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus

Post #446400 2nd Aug 2017 10:26am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I think you may be putting yourself under pressure you could well do without. From the dealers point of view a service on a four year old car may well be expensive. Things like tyres, brakes and discs come into the equation that may not otherwise apply and can add substantially to costs. Of course they pay a much reduced rate for that service but as individual parts of the business have a large degree of autonomy and each have their own budgets to meet that's far from free.

In terms of the LR warranty. Dealerships have to buy this (by the month) from LR. So in the case of a 63 plate car that's a full 24 months and it's not cheap even for them.

We all think LR Dealerships make huge margins on their car and sometimes they do but not always. I've had five L405's and after I've part exchanged them I always keep an eye on them to see how they re-sell my old car and for what price it was listed at and here's some examples. First one I got 57K allowed and when last I saw it just before sale it was up at £60K. My last one was part exed for £56,400 and it's currently unsold (don't know why because it was a lovely car) for £57,484.00. By the time they prep it, service it (it was a fifteen plate) and put 16 months warranty on it it will stand them a net loss on book price.

So for what it's worth, especially given the fact that you are not going to use the dealership again I'd buy it if it was the right car, in the right condition at the right price. If it isn't walk away because there are some great deals out there if you look and just remember the best advice I can give you I to buy the newest car you can afford because kit gets added to these cars all the time. Thumbs Up 2016 SDV8 Autobiography
And several others previously.

Post #446403 2nd Aug 2017 10:52am
elbitrevnoc

Thanks again for all thoughts. I should clarify that I do actually believe that the deal I have struck on the car is an OK one and I certainly don't think the dealer is making a bundle on the car. To my knowledge they've had it a couple of months and they've already reduced the price on it a couple of times - not sure why, as it's ostensibly in good nick, one previous owner, not an unusual colour or anything and has full LR history, etc. Given all that and the bits and pieces they've now agreed to bundle in for me I'm most likely going to go ahead - probably would already have done so if it wasn't for them over-promising in the first place!

In truth I'm not actually that worried about the service, as it was last done in December (including, I think, new brake pads - need to check). The car has only covered around 3k miles since then. My frustration is more about the various things that the dealer originally offered me when I was considering the car, only to withdraw these when I actually decided to go ahead. There were a few things, including the offer of the service and MOT, which they later withdrew on the basis that they were only done 7 months ago. It's more about the principle really and the fact that they also added in some wild claims along the way, such as the interim service (which in fairness they've now agreed to do) costing them a grand and the LR warranty giving me a free first MOT. They've now agreed to provide a fresh 12 month's MOT as well.

I should know by now that it's all part of the unique charm of buying from LR. It's always a bit of a battle, but we keep coming back! 2014 3.0 SDV6 Sport HSE Corris Grey with Ebony/Cirrus

Post #446412 2nd Aug 2017 1:23pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I agree with mzplg and others that a good relationship with a dealer is helpful, and BS would also put me off. There are of course plenty of used 405 diesels around, and they seem to be getting cheaper, so maybe it will become more of a buyer's market. That said, £1,000 is not out of the way as a price that a retail punter might pay for a bigger service, and perhaps the 'free MOT' is a promotion by this dealer in the hope of getting any repair business that might arise, various dealers do offer MOT discounts on that basis. I was quoted about £1,250 to extend my warranty for a year when the original three year warranty expired, it would probably be a bit more now, but I expect dealers pay less. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #446414 2nd Aug 2017 1:29pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

The LR warranty cover is provided by car care plan, not by LR UK.

Post #446482 3rd Aug 2017 6:29am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Dealers are usually very nice and cooperative, at least until they have your money. If you ALREADY have concerns, trust your gut. There are lots of cars out there.

Post #446898 6th Aug 2017 11:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1