Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 2014 models
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Triarii

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey
2014 models

I'm thinking of getting a 2014 FFRR (LR approved used). Lots of Vogues and Vogue SE's about.

Are there key features between the two that are worth having, and any options that folks think are must haves?

They're listed in so many varying orders I can't keep track! 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #446646 4th Aug 2017 6:51pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I have a 2015 brochure, which says that the SE spec additions are:
1. Terrain response 2 (this is an auto setting on TR)
2. adaptive cruise control (i.e. holds distance from vehicle in front) incl queue assist, intelligent emergency braking and active seat belts
3. laminated hydrophobic front door glass, laminated rear door glass
4. auto headlamps with high beam assist
5. semi-aniline leather seats with more adjustment (leather is softer), front climate (i.e. heated and cooled) seats, rear heated seats, rear seat power recline, adjustable seat bolsters, rear seat load through facility, passenger seat away (whatever that is)
6. Soft door close
7. 825W audio rather than 380W
8. Dual view touchscreen (passenger can watch TV etc while driver sees satnav or other less distracting image) and headphones
9. Customer configurable interior mood lighting.
I'm not aware of any huge change between 14 and 15, but maybe others can comment.

As to what is desirable, the auto TR can produce odd results, like putting you into 'grass gravel snow' if it is cold even if the road is dry, it's a cheap option but one can change this manually easily enough. Some people on here are very positive about the adaptive CC, others find it intrudes a bit much and does not judge things as well as they might themselves, and I have heard the suggestion that this technology is still developing, so the earlier the system the less well it does. The SE seats are noticeably softer, so more luxury but perhaps less hard wearing. I hardly use the cooling, but maybe where you live it is more useful. I would choose the better audio, as I'm used to better in my WM, but have not done a proper comparison. We rarely use the dual view, I'm not sure I'd spend extra just to have it. I'm not a fan of the mood lighting, but have heard that e.g. teenage daughters go for that sort of thing. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #446662 4th Aug 2017 8:09pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

For me the ACC is great and wouldn't buy another car without it. True it's not quite as good as you are on your best day but then it's considerably better than you are on your worst one, because it'll stop for you if it needs to. We all know that the standard cruise control is something that on occasion you leave on while the gap is getting a little too small but the acc remove this problem.

Soft door close is a nice touch and surprisingly good because only today I watched from Costco's car park at the guy in the GL350 drive off with door ajar.

The leather and the sound system is the same as in the Autobiography and lifts the quality a little and I've always found the seats comfortable and the music system plenty good enough and I have owned one 405 with the 1700 watt system which frankly is overkill for the likes of me. I'm sure there are some that could tell the difference but to me it was negligible. That said the 850 watt model is better even to my tin ear than the 380.

And for your info the seat away option is that the car seat lowers and moves away from the steering wheel, when you are alighting from the vehicle. On newer cars this is more advanced and the car lowers (access mode) and the front seats also move automatically when you are dropping the rears to allow them to prevent snagging. They then move back to their set position once the rears are down.

I've said this many times before so I may as well repeat myself again. The VSE is the sweet spot of the Range. The Vogue is very nice and the AB beautiful but the VSE for me has just the right amount of kit. If it came as standard with winged headrests it would be even better but having had AB's there's lots of extra kit that only gets switched on very occasionally or for the novelty of it. My last bit of wisdom is to buy the newest car you can as they get better each year....honest.

Last edited by Basilfawlty on 4th Aug 2017 11:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #446685 4th Aug 2017 11:34pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

What's the thing with winged headrests ? Seen a lot of folk say they love them, but why, what's the benefit of them?

Post #446686 4th Aug 2017 11:40pm
Basilfawlty

They just feel terribly indulgent and so very comfortable. They pull out and wrap around your head and are lovely and soft. Yes I know that headrests are really meant to protect in the case of an accident but when you have them you'll find yourself relaxing just that bit more and driving the full fat as it's meant to be enjoyed; wafting along rather than racing.

Post #446687 4th Aug 2017 11:43pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

SE for me too Thumbs Up

The only other 'must have' option for me was a tow bar - and they are a seriously expensive retro-fit, so if you need one, find a car that already has one

Post #446726 5th Aug 2017 6:24pm
Triarii

Thanks all. The LR official sites are great for new buys, but less so for us plebs buying used.

Awaiting the right combo of SE and colours in 3.0L variant at the moment. Surprising rare. Lots of 4.4s and basic Vogues and some odd colours. Maybe that's why they're still for sale! 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #446789 6th Aug 2017 11:07am
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Quote:
Yes I know that headrests are really meant to protect in the case of an accident but when you have them you'll find yourself relaxing just that bit more and driving the full fat as it's meant to be enjoyed

As you say, they're head restraints, not headrests. Personally I never use them as headrests when driving, never even thought about it. I think it would annoy me to be honest. Each to their own though Thumbs Up

Post #446796 6th Aug 2017 12:04pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

If you've got a passenger, like Mrs RM, that likes to sleep on a long journey, then those winged head rests are brilliant Thumbs Up

I don't know if it's the same for a '14 car, but I found the seats a lot more comfortable, with a lot more adjustment - the best thing of all is being able to move the seat base forward independently to create a longer seat squab.

Post #446799 6th Aug 2017 12:14pm
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

i found the seats in a pals 3.0 vogue 14 plate a lot firmer than my 2011 trim tbh also he had his mapped and seems a lot nicer drive. _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #446809 6th Aug 2017 12:40pm
Triarii

Well, took the plunge. Next Sunday pick up a Luxor VSE. Very Happy 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #446827 6th Aug 2017 3:44pm
Basilfawlty

Enjoy!!

Post #446836 6th Aug 2017 5:06pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

"Luxor" ?

Post #446848 6th Aug 2017 6:15pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Luxor is a colour

Kind of pale gold or yellowy silver..........

Post #446856 6th Aug 2017 6:57pm
Triarii

Yep. It sounds like a wacky model version - like the odd names that Renault appears to have started using. 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #446873 6th Aug 2017 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>