Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Comfort (or not)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ailamod

Scotland 
Comfort (or not)

Last week I drove a 2016 66 plate vogue from Scotland to north of England perhaps a 200 mile trip each way and didn't find the seats very comfortable.
Felt even worse on the way back and to be honest had a sore ass by the time I arrived home.
Now maybe I'm just getting old and a 400 mile round trip is getting too much for me or I'm just too used to the comfort of an S-Class where the seats seem to me to be more padded.
It's put me right off getting one myself as I was close to pressing to button on a 17 plate vogue but I wouldn't mind the opinion of some else who runs one and does abbot of mileage.

Post #447156 8th Aug 2017 10:34pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There's some slight variation in seats across the range - however, I find them generally quite comfortable and I guess you get used to them.

I regularly do long runs in mine - I did a 5 hour 300 mile trip on Friday with a quick stop half way - and the same trip in reverse on Saturday and did it in one go. - though it was quite nice to get out and stretch a bit after 5 hours !

I even run 22's which others report as being a bit hard

I've not driven an S class, but have been in the back of one on airport runs a few times and they do appear very comfortable and a nice place to be - but I wouldn't want to be driving one to ski resorts or use it for towing so I guess it's all compromise Very Happy

Post #447170 9th Aug 2017 6:15am
Ailamod

Scotland 

This one also had 22s and that hadn't occurred to me as it wouldn't have helped.
The ride was a little hard but the owner of the car was in the back and he didn't think it uncomfortable as he was used to it.
Thanks for the feedback though, really appreciated.

Post #447171 9th Aug 2017 6:22am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The wheels do make quite a dit of difference, but I'm mostly on motorways so I went for style over comfort Whistle

The 22's are also noticably sharper turning into roundabouts (vs 20's), less roll, so depends what you want really.....

If you're serious about buying one, then may be worth driving one with 20's or 21's.

Post #447173 9th Aug 2017 6:38am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I run a late Disco 4 HSE Luxury and found that the seat squab on the Vogue that I took out on test drive was less comfortable than that in the D4, while the VSE and AB were a big improvement. It seemed both softer and more supportive, with a better shape and there was more adjustment - particularly being able to move the seat squab back and forth independently of the rest of the seat - loved that!

If the Vogue wasn't right for you, I'd suggest that you have another go in a VSE or AB Thumbs Up

Post #447174 9th Aug 2017 6:42am
Ailamod

Scotland 

That's a good shout, will see if I can get a hold of a SE but think the AB might be well out of my price range.
Might help if the seat styles are different.
Couldn't bring myself to spend 90k on a daily driver even though could spend double that on a car in the garage which I hardly use. Not logical but that's how it is..

Post #447180 9th Aug 2017 8:37am
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

My mates got a 16 vogue and I said before it's a lot harder then my 12se seats I hope the se and ab are better as an evoke feel seat is not for me either. _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #447182 9th Aug 2017 8:49am
emilio

Malta 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

done the 1500mile trip from the uk to malta in under 18 hours twice, once in a bmw and another in a 2012 rover. with the bmw my legs were jelly could barely walk, with the rover i was ok could have turned round straight away and do again.

Post #447187 9th Aug 2017 9:29am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Alistair is right about the wheels. It's a horses for courses sort of thing. For me I want the wheels to look good on the car but have a compliant ride and 21's give me that compromise. The seats are okay but I've only ever had Vogue SE's and Autobiographies and the seats IMHO could be comfier, especially around the tail bone area.

Post #447201 9th Aug 2017 11:21am
Red Merle

Surprisingly, a 22" wheel Range Rover gives a better ride than a 20" wheel Disco 4, itself no slouch in the ride quality stakes Thumbs Up

Post #447245 9th Aug 2017 4:40pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

Weren't sat on your house keys were you ?Seriously though i have been in a few rangeys and found the seats to be less comfortable than that of my present sc and previous xjr. Full fat 4.2 Sc
Full fat vogue 4.4 petrol
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #447253 9th Aug 2017 6:54pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Red Merle wrote:
Surprisingly, a 22" wheel Range Rover gives a better ride than a 20" wheel Disco 4, itself no slouch in the ride quality stakes Thumbs Up

Appreciate it's a bit subjective but I owned a D4 HSE Lux with 20's and went straight from that to an L405 AB with 22's and found the full fat less forgiving than the D4. Better turn in and certainly more dynamic but not quite as cosseting. Since then I've owned several more full fats with 21's and would suggest that they ride about as well as the D4 with 20's. 2016 SDV8 Autobiography
And several others previously.

Post #447254 9th Aug 2017 7:00pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I can't comment on how the 405 compares with the S Class, but do think that seat adjustment makes quite a difference. If you are getting a sore bottom you might need to raise the front of the seat a bit and tilt the back further, so that the weight is spread more. I thought my 2012 car was less comfortable than the 2004 one, to some extent I think that is caused by there being the seat ventilation kit, which presumably reduces the padding, but adjustment made a big difference. I would not expect discomfort after 200 miles. The SE and AB seats have semi-aniline leather and are softer, plus there are differences in the adjustment range of the different seat types, it might be worth checking which type is in cars you are considering.

The benchmark for seat comfort as far as I am concerned is the P38 Vogue 4.6, more padding and better shape for me, plus Connolly leather, no ventilation, only heating. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #447259 9th Aug 2017 7:23pm
bear100

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine is like sitting in a stately home! Very comfortable 2010 defender utility
2010 RRS TDV8 (gone)
2007 discovery 3 (gone)
2004 discovery 4 (gone)
1994 discovery 1
1970 v8 hybrid (gone)
1975 bobtail (gone)

Post #447277 9th Aug 2017 9:15pm
Red Merle

Basilfawlty wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

Appreciate it's a bit subjective but I owned a D4 HSE Lux with 20's and went straight from that to an L405 AB with 22's and found the full fat less forgiving than the D4. Better turn in and certainly more dynamic but not quite as cosseting. Since then I've owned several more full fats with 21's and would suggest that they ride about as well as the D4 with 20's.

Interesting finding. You have a lot more experience of driving L405's than I have, so you must have a point.

I was surprised when, having driven a 2017 22" V8 AB over a 15 mile test route, I drove home exactly the same way in the HSE Luxury and felt all sorts of surface imperfections that I never noticed in the RR AB. Could the 2017 car have had a subtle suspension change?

Post #447282 9th Aug 2017 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>