Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Front suspension bag lower bolts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
VaguelyVogue

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue
Front suspension bag lower bolts

Following the wiki, I have undone the two large (22mm) nuts from the lower air bag/shock assembly (ready to replace with a new one), but cannot get the lower bolt to move at all. So far I have tried:
- Soaking the bolt overnight in kerosene
- 5ft extension bar on breaker bar (did not budge with a 6 point socket)
- Impact wrench at a local garage and more penetrating spray (no movement)
- Lower nut has been left slack, lowered all the suspension by 15mm (helps with the leaking air bag) and driven gently around to use the car weight to loosen the bolt

It's still stuck!

I haven't tried heat to the bolt head yet (it's very close to the gaiter around the prop shaft and I haven't got access to an oxy-acetylene torch) - so I'm now considering the drastic option of using a 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder to slice the bolt head and then hours of drilling out. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Post #448267 18th Aug 2017 2:02pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

try heat pal , it should shift it but im not surprised its so tight

Post #448269 18th Aug 2017 2:06pm
VaguelyVogue

Thanks - would a hot air paint stripper gun (nozzle over bolt head) give enough heat?

Post #448272 18th Aug 2017 2:21pm
bembo449

no sir , you need a blow lamp like plumbers use , be there all day with that

Post #448273 18th Aug 2017 2:22pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

When I did mine I ended up with SWMBO holding the steering at full lock so that I had sufficient clearance to get at it with a sledge hammer. Shocked It was the only way in the end. Crying or Very sad John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #448274 18th Aug 2017 2:40pm
VaguelyVogue

Thanks - blow lamp and sledge hammer it is then (with the angle grinder cutting disc in reserve if that doesn't work)!

I don't trust the electronics enough to use a MIG welder to heat up the bolt head for fear of blowing up multiple ECUs (even with the battery leads disconnected and shorted together)...

Post #448276 18th Aug 2017 2:54pm
Billaboard

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

.....Tiptoes in gently to say..... I come from 18 months of nightmare ownership of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The traditional joke is that Grand refers to he cost of any repair.

After visiting 3 branches of ATS, 2 normal garages and the local (beyond useless) main agent, no-one could free the one vital bolt to adjust the tracking. All said that it was too close to pipework/cables to be safe to use traditional heat techniques.

I was then told that the official Jeep UK fix was to use an induction heater. I finally found an ex-official service agent (Lookers, would you believe) that had the recommended heating tool and who did the job while I waited. Of course, that branch was closed about a month later.

I am too old and decrepit to do my own maintenance, but I am tempted to buy one of the Chinese Induction heater pcb's on ebay just to play with. They are about a fiver.

Post #448313 18th Aug 2017 5:55pm
bembo449

if it were mine I'd be getting the 3/4 drive socket set on the job and a scaffold bar

Post #448314 18th Aug 2017 6:03pm
Joe90

England 

ignore .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #448342 18th Aug 2017 11:15pm
Clive603

England 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Orkney Grey

bembo449 wrote:
if it were mine I'd be getting the 3/4 drive socket set on the job and a scaffold bar

#2 for that suggestion. I made my version pushing 30 years back to shift the hub nuts on a Lancia Beta HPE, 231 ft lb so needed to be serious about things! Five foot of scaffold pole welded to the middle of a short 3/4 drive extension.

Important to have a bit sticking out the other side so you can arrange support from axle stand or really secure jack. Its essentially impossible to keep this sort of thing square on the nut or bolt head being operated on when really leaning on things. Without the support its going to come off mid heave. Use a high quality impact socket.

Doubt if I've used mine a dozen times but its been essential every time. Needed to put an extra 5 ft on the handle for one exceptionally stubborn thing. Don't really want to know what moderate to hard shove on a 10 ft lever translates to in ft lb at the business end. Impressed by how much a quality 3/4 drive extension will twist without taking a permanent set!

Clive

Post #448344 19th Aug 2017 12:03am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

When I did mine I used a 12v rattle gun. I thought this tool was a bit of a gimmic but have used it so many times now for various jobs and its excellent. Not much of an investment if it does not work for you..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAWK-TOOLS-1-2-E...SwuZhZlsbr 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #448346 19th Aug 2017 3:35am
bembo449

Unnecessary quote removed

yes clive , for what a 3/4 drive set can be bought for its worth its weight in gold imo , transit tipper rear wheel bolts are ridic tight ( by design ) but a 3/4 drive and a scaffold pole will undo them easy

Post #448350 19th Aug 2017 8:42am
mr_spock

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I found that jacking the car up and trying to remove the last bolt (upper or lower) was almost impossible as the weight binds it in place. I used a second jack to move the lower arm up until the bolt could at least turn fairly freely, then used a drift to knock it out. Plus Gas first of course. To get it back in, same problem. A ratchet handle through the upper bolt hole acts as a lever to align the lower one, then jack again to take the weight.

Post #448356 19th Aug 2017 10:13am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I undid the bolts by undoing the nut a few turns a then hit the nut with a large hammer and progressively drove the bolts out using a fair bit of release oil as I went. As I was only making the bolts come out for future undoing if the need arose I then copper greased the nuts and bolts and put them back.
The reason the bolts are so sticky is simply surface corrosion.

Post #448361 19th Aug 2017 11:31am
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Billaboard wrote:
.....Tiptoes in gently to say..... I come from 18 months of nightmare ownership of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The traditional joke is that Grand refers to he cost of any repair.

After visiting 3 branches of ATS, 2 normal garages and the local (beyond useless) main agent, no-one could free the one vital bolt to adjust the tracking. All said that it was too close to pipework/cables to be safe to use traditional heat techniques.

I was then told that the official Jeep UK fix was to use an induction heater. I finally found an ex-official service agent (Lookers, would you believe) that had the recommended heating tool and who did the job while I waited. Of course, that branch was closed about a month later.

I am too old and decrepit to do my own maintenance, but I am tempted to buy one of the Chinese Induction heater pcb's on ebay just to play with. They are about a fiver.

Tell me more, what is this item you speak of ??? Does it come ready to use or is it parts to make one (what size)?

Post #448381 19th Aug 2017 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>