Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Engine oil showing as overfilled .....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
neo

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black
Engine oil showing as overfilled .....

Hi All,

Just had second odd experience with the SDV8.

Was serviced in early Feb by MD, oil level was fine and has been for a good while.

Was treating the leather last Thursday and so whilst I was doing that I checked the oil level, car has been stood for about 4 days (nothing unusual). It showed that oil level was overfilled.

So, called LRA, no DTCs logged but he saw the same message, took some oil out and car was now happy. MD suggested a known issue wrt oil level harness getting contaminated with oil that tracks back along the loom and has associated TSB (like TD5 injector harness for those that remember them...)

Car is taken to MD, they investigate and come today saying that the sensor loom is fine and not subject to the associated TSB, and that they recommend oil and filter change. The cause is related the DPF region process, that has basically sent its ' Censored ' back into the engine oil....

Whilst I understand that this *can* happen, not sure why I am picking the tab?

Car is run regularly, my commute is over 100 miles which I tend to do 3-4 days a week (stood for the rest typically). This is mixed B road, A road and M-way. now admittedly I take it very steady but every now and again I take it for blast to clean it through. Only gets shell or shell v-power diseasal fuel.

Any ideas and do I have any redress?

Post #448591 21st Aug 2017 6:21pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

On the basis that the SDV8 is pretty much the same as the TDV8 of 2012, the electronic reader seems very sensitive to whether the car is on level ground and, unlike a dipstick where you see exactly where the level is, the screen shows whole units and so can exaggerate the reading. The temperature of the oil also seems to make a difference. I had an occasion where mine seemed to be overfilled, I took it to the dealer, explained that I had never added oil and they told me the above and not to worry about it. I checked it again in a different place and when it was cold and the oil was back at the right level again. So you may not have a problem at all. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #448606 21st Aug 2017 7:42pm
neo

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

The ground is reasonably level and car had been stood for days, however it had been a warm day .....

Well, I don't have an issue with it having a 'mid service' oil change so I shall take it on the chin and do some more observations as you have suggested.

Car seemed to drive alright and had no lights or other indicative codes stored.

One other thing has cross my mind, I do wonder if it is related to low voltage issues, as the car had been stood for a few days. I know that things really can't cope with low voltages, and if it might be an early sign of impending failure of that sensor?

Will have a chat with the MD guys, and see what they say and have an ask around my buddies in LR.

Post #448612 21st Aug 2017 8:15pm
syl

I thought diesel in the oil was only a thing in the LR 2.0 and 3.0 engines?

2017-07 JLRP00100 Service indicator message and oil dilution

Post #448615 21st Aug 2017 8:24pm
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

I was told by Hunters that the additional diesel injected to burn clean the DPF was now introduced downstream of the combustion chamber, so dilution was a thing of the past on the 4.4.

Post #448626 21st Aug 2017 9:42pm
jettec

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Fuji White

Hi I had the opposite problem with my car, the oil level check kept saying, oil level check unavailable.
Took it to dealers, they had to replace oil level sensor.
The sensor is built into the sump So three day replacement job, and nearly $2500 to replace sensor.
Why would they build a sensor into the sump like this?
Just another strange thing from JLR. The dealer told me that the sensors are not very reliable. Nice!

Post #459116 30th Nov 2017 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1