Home > General (L405) > Speed Cushions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Farallon Black
Speed Cushions

Per the title,

Do you guys normally go over speed cushions with the wheels either side of the bump?

I'm guessing there's enough clearance for even the biggest bump;

FRONT AXLE CLEARANCE
221mm/298mm (on/off road)

So about 22cm in normal ride height ?

Is there a lot that can get damaged under there anyway?

*EDITED* as apparently I'm talking about Speed Cushions;

Click image to enlarge

Thanks

Post #451064 16th Sep 2017 1:10am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Massive clearance on the Disco Thumbs Up I have, however, been told that always hitting the inner tyre walls with these things can ultimately result in tracking issues; not sure how much truth there is in that one yet.

I find it ironic that speed bumps and cushions were one of my reasons for originally justifying moving from an ordinary car (a MINI for some years), to a proper four wheel drive; I can't be alone and I sometimes wonder if those people that came up with these wretched things ever noticed that trend Rolling Eyes

Post #451065 16th Sep 2017 3:36am
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Personally i dont slow down for speed bumps , the cushions you show i just place the car in a way to avoid 90% of them and have been doing so for 2 years now in my RR without obvious or apparent issues. Just another bonus of driving a RR. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #451080 16th Sep 2017 8:40am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Ever since these monstrosities started breeding, I've always straddled the speed cushions (ooh er missus) with every car (owned and work vehicles) without any geometry or tyre issues and the Fatty is no exception.

If you think about it, they are designed to allow emergency services to travel at speed so your FF will have no issues.

Post #451083 16th Sep 2017 9:25am
DangerMouseUK

Red Merle wrote:
I have, however, been told that always hitting the inner tyre walls with these things can ultimately result in tracking issues; not sure how much truth there is in that one yet.

Thats what I read and thats what I started wondering if there was any truth in that. I mean I never go over the posted speed limit when attacking these things and normally go 20-30% slower just as a precaution because some of them in London look pretty ropey and decayed.

I read elsewhere that guidelines state "official" ones can't exceed 100mm or 10cm so thats something reassuring I guess.

Post #451103 16th Sep 2017 1:16pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

There should be plenty of ground clearance. The track should be wide enough to drive over them without too much impact on sidewalls, though 22" wheels will clearly be more sensitive than 20". I think the problems are more for 'ordinary' cars with low profile tyres. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #451106 16th Sep 2017 1:47pm
DangerMouseUK

Hi CS, according to LR UK;

REAR WHEEL TRACK
1,683mm

FRONT WHEEL TRACK
1,690mm

REAR AXLE CLEARANCE
236mm/298mm*

FRONT AXLE CLEARANCE
221mm/298mm*

With * being offroad height - so in most cases you'd hope so, but then you do hear about inside tyre walls and I just wondered long term if there might be damage even with the RRs impressive clearances.

Post #451107 16th Sep 2017 1:52pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The 322 is a bit narrower and I find that driving over cushions near me hardly touches the wheels, the wider 405 should be better. The ground clearance is such that there should be no risk of hitting the bodywork, the way there might be in say a Ferrari. As someone else has said the cushions are meant to allow an ambulance to drive over without jolting a patient inside, so a RR with a similar track ought to be able to do that too. That said I am not driving over them every day, and cushion design may vary. Also much of Edinburgh is now 20mph so the impact will be less at the lower speed. You can't go wrong putting a wheel on the middle of the cushion with the other on the flat road, that is what is recommended for drivers in general, but I regard that as needless discomfort in the context of my 55 profile tyres. I have not heard of RRs having problems with inner sidewalls, other than, I think, for some users of Cooper Zeon LTZs, which I had associated with those tyres rather than driving habits over speed cushions.

With any luck the Government will encourage removal of cushions soon, as they seem associated with increased air pollution caused by drivers slowing and speeding up again. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #451113 16th Sep 2017 2:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1