Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Program/code new imstrument cluster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Phils

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Program/code new imstrument cluster

Does anyone now how to code a new cluster into an 03?
I have access to a source for a new cluster and am thinking of getting one to solve a few instrument problems.
I have an iid and a msv2 if that helps....

Post #451085 16th Sep 2017 10:08am
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Hi,

I changed mine out after the previous owner screwed it up and the needles were well out of line.

I looked on the BMW forums as our cars are basically BMWs and found that most of the people swapping out instrument clusters were using a program and lead called PA Soft 1.40. I looked on the bay and bought one, loaded it up to a laptop and connected it.

It interrogates most of the systems in a Range Rover and can fault find and reset if needed. Anyway what you need to do is to get rid of the tamper dot that will appear when you put the new instrument cluster in as it checks against a few ecu's to make sure the VIN is the same across them all, when it finds that the instrument cluster VIN is different it throws up a tamper dot.

Luckily with PA Soft 1.40 you can change the VIN in the replacement cluster to match the old cluster, if I remember correctly you just have to input the last five numbers of the VIN into the new one. All I did was to interrogate the old cluster before removal and write down the VIN, put the new one in and interrogate it and rewrite the old VIN into the new cluster and the tamper dot was gone...

What I will say is that if the mileage on the new cluster is LOWER than the old cluster then apparently (because mine hasn't yet) it will after a certain amount of distance covered, change the mileage in the odometer to reflect the original mileage, as this is held on the ecu's it checks for VIN parity. BUT..... if the mileage is HIGHER on the new cluster than the original mileage it will immediately overwrite the mileage in the ecu's mentioned earlier to the higher figure and give the impression that the car has done more miles than it really has.

So I would check the new cluster mileage first as you can only change the mileage with serious surgery that entails chip removal and rewriting.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube etc and have a look on the BMW forums for more info. You must get the 1.40 version though as the older / newer versions aren't as good. I bought mine for about £25 with the lead supplied.

Here's a link for an even cheaper one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/401045470935

Good luck, it's a very easy job. ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #451097 16th Sep 2017 12:07pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

+1 for PA Soft, my car had the tamper light when I got it, which only became a problem when I fitted an original MID unit and I couldn't get it to read the onboard computer.

Turns out the car the cluster was taken from had a sat nav so the cluster was programmed to output to a sat nav unit which was a different id on the bus network!

Changed the vin in the cluster and all was good, although I then had to do the steering angle sensor and this was matching the old vin on the cluster.

Unfortunately the mileage on the cluster was higher when the previous owner changed it so the car shows more miles than are true Sad 

Post #451111 16th Sep 2017 2:12pm
Billaboard

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

The PA Soft in the advert referred to above says "Note: The Scanner just support the XP System!!!". And also suggests that there might be a full version of the software with, maybe, more features.

Did you need to find an MS XP laptop to work with this, or will any more recent Windows laptops be OK? Old 110 2.3 Petrol ???? - ????
Old 110 200tdi ???? - 2004
1996 Discovery 300tdi 2004 - 2015 met fiery end being welded
2004 JEEP Grand Cherokee 2015 - 2017
2004 L322 Td6 2017 -

Post #451114 16th Sep 2017 2:46pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Good question, when I did it I used Parallels on my MacBook and have an XP environment for diagnostics as I know it's stable! 

Post #451122 16th Sep 2017 4:41pm
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

With mine I used a Win 7 laptop and all was ok. The full package PA Soft costs a good couple of hundred quid and given that it only reads a few ecu's etc on our Range Rovers i plumped for the pared down (possibly Chinese knockoff) version Whistle

By the way I didn't have to code my SAS I just had to recalibrate it using the IIDtool Thumbs Up ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #451127 16th Sep 2017 5:36pm
Billaboard

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

Thanks. I'm trying to get all the Windows diagnostic things together on a replacement laptop running Windows 7, and I don't really want to have to run virtual XP if I can help it.

I already have to run "USBDeview" and "COM Name Arbiter setter", which together will sort out the mess that is the Windows Bluetooth/usb/serial port phantom creation problem that occurs if you use more than one OBD2 or other serial connection device. Old 110 2.3 Petrol ???? - ????
Old 110 200tdi ???? - 2004
1996 Discovery 300tdi 2004 - 2015 met fiery end being welded
2004 JEEP Grand Cherokee 2015 - 2017
2004 L322 Td6 2017 -

Post #451129 16th Sep 2017 6:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1