Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Hindsight...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wurzel

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Hindsight...

Hello all - I'm new to the forum but happy to find a great body of knowledge similar to the POC forum (but where everything is more expensive Rolling Eyes ) I bought my first RR (07 TDV8) this week, but due to a number of faults ended up giving it back to the dealer the next day...! However I wonder if it was in fact curable?

It went into limp mode three times on the way home, we traced it to inlet manifold pressure > a faulty join on the flange at the end of the pipe from the EGR to the manifold that was clearly blowing soot - would it have been as simple as just replacing that pipe / join? Or would that faulty join be the result of something more expensive going wrong?

The electronic handbrake didn't work, potentially costly?

Then the most concerning from my inexperience with these cars was a hesitant, if completely smooth, change from 4th - 5th, it would take 5 - 6 time to make the change, just flaring the revs slightly like it was going to changem but staying in the same gear.

All this made me decide it was going to cause me a lot of immediate trouble, but it was very cheap albeit with a FSH, maybe they were in fact easy fixes? Would be grateful for the benefit of everyone's experience!

Post #451152 17th Sep 2017 7:30am
gizze

United Kingdom 

Don't beat yourself up, you did the right thing imho.

The gearbox flaring and not changing is enough on its own to walk away.
Could be the valve body, but you might replace that and still not sort it.

Was the dealer prepared to throw thousands at it looking for a cure?

How cheap was it?

What mileage? Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #451159 17th Sep 2017 9:13am
Wurzel

Dealer was prepared to fix it, but I decided it would be very long winded so I asked for a refund instead which they provided without issue. £6.5k / 136k. Thanks for the feedback, members on this forum seem to be able to fix seemingly major issues without undue concern!

Post #451160 17th Sep 2017 9:25am
gizze

United Kingdom 

Hose was an easy fix, parking brake not sure about.

Gearbox could have been a mare.

I bought a TDV8 on an 07 plate and 125k miles a couple of months back, to be honest after getting it and looking over things properly I soon realised it needed lots doing.

New hoses, sensors, expansion bottle, water pump and had to find a battery drain that took many hours to track down.

The previous owner had replaced the alternator and battery a few weeks before selling, so was obviously chasing the same drain and gave up.
Turns out it was the bluetooth module was knackered and not letting the car sleep.

It is now running amazingly well, but WBAC very nearly got it last week when it sounded like a bag of nails and I couldn't work out what the hell it was. £50 later a new water pump fitted and silky smooth again.

I would argue anyone selling one of these for £6500 just wants shot of it and knows more than they are letting on. Unless it is really tatty and the price takes that into account, as WBAC offered me that for mine, that is with the wheels needing a refurb, the stone chips on the bonnet and only one key.
Well £6438 was the offer price. Porsche 911 (996)

Post #451162 17th Sep 2017 9:44am
Wurzel

Yes I think you're right - I decided it was just too cheap and that I needed to spend more. So the hunt goes on for a mechanically good one but without mega miles up to £10k, hopefully will find one soon. My two days of ownership, despite being troublesome, convinced me I need one urgently!

Post #451167 17th Sep 2017 10:41am
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

You won't regret getting yourself a FFRR and now you've a had taste of one, albeit only a day or two, it'll play on your mind until you get one. Having said that, it's worth taking a bit of time to find the right one for you and you'll have no shortage of forum help when you need it.

Good luck with the search Very Happy 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #451168 17th Sep 2017 11:00am
gizze

United Kingdom 

They are very addictive.

I bought my 2007 TDV8 so I could keep my 2012 Mercedes E350 estate, which I love(ed). However, after having the RR I sort of wish I had sold the E350 and just bought a really late L322 for £20-25k, as in all honesty the Merc simply doesn't interest me now.

I took the E350 to Birmingham and back the other day, from Norwich, and after 50 miles I just thought "Shoulda' taken the Rangie."

I have actually put an advert up for the E350, regardless of whether I do swap for a late L322 or not, I just can't see the point of keeping the Merc for it to sit in the garage. I have gone from doing 2000 miles a month in it, apart from making myself take it to Brum, over the last 6-7 weeks we had done the grand total of......40 miles in it. Haha Porsche 911 (996)

Post #451172 17th Sep 2017 11:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1