Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Transmission Mega Flush - Advice sought.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gyre8

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green
Transmission Mega Flush - Advice sought.

My 4.4 Petrol is just approaching 80K. As far as I can tell I have no gearbox issues, but I've read that around this mileage it is wise to get a transmission flush/fluid change.

Any views on this please?

Also, can anyone recommend a place around Wolverhampton/West Mids to get a mega flush done if I need it please?

Post #451360 19th Sep 2017 1:36am
j_rov

England 

Driver Transmissions in Birmingham told me they would recommend a fluid change every 50,000 miles.

They are ZF Approved remanufacturers. __
2018 L405 3.0 TDV6 Vogue SE Fuji White
2000 4.6 V8 HSE Oxford Blue
1994 3.9 V8 Vogue Ardennes Green - resto project

Land Rover History:
2010 3.6 TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey
2001 Discovery 2 TD5 GS
1999 Discovery 2 V8i XS
1994 Discovery 300Tdi
1993 Discovery 200Tdi
1989 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.5EFi
1976 Series 3 2.25
1977 Range Rover 2 door 3.5 Carb

Post #451384 19th Sep 2017 10:50am
Shaun_

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I'd love to get a definitive answer on this question - or at least a concensus!
There are many threads but as far as I can tell there are as many people who think the transmission fluid in these 'sealed for life' 'boxes should be changed at around 80-100K as there are those who say that a fluid change can give rise to problems that otherwise probably wouldn't manifest themselves. Add in the should you / shouldn't you megaflush debate and the whole thing is a nightmare!
Is there anyone out there without a vested interest who works on our cars regularly enough to have experienced the advantages and potential disadvantages to give an informed view?
My own car has covered 104,000 miles and the 'box is sweet but I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance so my instinct is to have a megaflush or at least a fluid change, but there are horror stories of people doing so and then suffering issues with a 'box that was fine beforehand.
Help!!! 2012 TDV8 Westminster in the New Forest

Also: Land Rover Series 3 SWB, Mercedes 280SL, Classic Mini, VW Golf SV
Previously: Audi A8, RR TDV8 Vogue, Audi Allroad, VW Golf GTI Edition 30, Audi A4 Avant, A8 x 2, A4 Sport, A6, VW Golf Mk5, Bora, Golf GTI Mk3, Jetta Mk3 Passat, Jetta Mk1, Golf Mk1

Post #451390 19th Sep 2017 11:32am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

After my original gearbox went bang at 137k the mechanic that rebuilds and installs auto boxes recommended changing the oil every 60k miles as a precautionary measure, even on the newer ones. He said it would show if something is starting to fail so it can be jumped on before complete failure.

If I remember correctly the majority of gearbox issues on the Early L322s were the torque converter breaks up and then destroys the gears. If you can repair it before it fails you save thousands.

As to a flush, if the gearbox is in good condition then it won't hurt it. If there is something about to go pop anyway then the flush might speed up the failure, but it was going to break anyway. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #451391 19th Sep 2017 11:37am
Pvw10

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Firenze Red

I read the sealed for life was only sealed for the life of the warranty ?

My Indy when asked said only touch if an issue arises otherwise every 50k Many thanks
Paul

Post #451419 19th Sep 2017 5:08pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Yeah check my post on observations after transmission fluid change. I found an excellent YouTube video of an automatic transmission expert explaining why sometimes a very dirty transmission dies shortly after the full flush and fill. Basically he supports my theory that there is build up or sludge in places. When you do a full flush this new clean fluid allows the sludge to break off in large enough pieces to get into valve bodies and the such causing catastrophic failure. With a drain and fill the fluid is half dirty so how much particulates it can hold is less not allowing a rapid degunking of the sludge. Just a theory. I will be doing my 4th drain and fill, with filter and pentosin this time, in 30k miles. TC rumblings gone after 2nd drain and fill. I get the fluid for $10/liter so no big deal. Here is my post. http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic32847.html

Post #451655 21st Sep 2017 7:02pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I had a new gearbox on 99k and since the new one change the fluid and filter every 40k drain and fill method

Post #451662 21st Sep 2017 7:13pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Filter change?

My regime is change fluid every 30 thou...change filter every 60
On my filter changes the Indy / dealer said no obvious swarf....
The mesh size of the filter is large

Post #451678 21st Sep 2017 8:50pm
horse86

United States 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

doclees wrote:
Yeah check my post on observations after transmission fluid change. I found an excellent YouTube video of an automatic transmission expert explaining why sometimes a very dirty transmission dies shortly after the full flush and fill. Basically he supports my theory that there is build up or sludge in places. When you do a full flush this new clean fluid allows the sludge to break off in large enough pieces to get into valve bodies and the such causing catastrophic failure. With a drain and fill the fluid is half dirty so how much particulates it can hold is less not allowing a rapid degunking of the sludge. Just a theory. I will be doing my 4th drain and fill, with filter and pentosin this time, in 30k miles. TC rumblings gone after 2nd drain and fill. I get the fluid for $10/liter so no big deal. Here is my post. http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic32847.html

Which part of PA? Im from Pgh area. Ive read up on this and you other post..looks like you have put a ton of time and effort and fluid into multiple drain/refills to fix your prob. I had on an off issues where the tranny will go into limited gears when in Auto mode....in sport mode it never happens. Been thinking about a flush....not sure if it would fix this though. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #451749 22nd Sep 2017 4:01pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

RRphil is the man when it comes to transmissions. I haven't put much money into the drain and fill with, will be, 2 filters. First one was OEM filter. I think it was over 4 liters for drain and filter but just under 4 liters without filter change. OEM filter and gasket was about $55. Fluid is about $10/liter. So about $100+$40+$40+(Febi filter and Pentosin)$70=$250. Compared to a new TC and/or transmission it's cheap.
Harrisburg Hershey area.

Post #451776 22nd Sep 2017 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1