Home > My Range Rover > Just got my first FFRR! 2003 Vogue 4.4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
mr_spock

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Just got my first FFRR! 2003 Vogue 4.4

Following on from here: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic37080.html

Just got home with my 2003 4.4 Vogue! Very Happy I'll keep updating this thread as my mission to get it as nice as my Jag XJ was proceeds!

Ok, what do I know so far, apart from that it needs a service.

Rear seat heating was just the fuse! Even better, I found a pound coin in the boot while exploring the storage cubbyholes, so I'm up on the deal already! I borrowed a 20A fuse from the rear power outlet, so I'll replace that next time I pass a garage as I only have 10A ones in the tool box.

Driver's seat valance is cracked on the top, but not too badly. I think it will repair. The screw is missing from the back of it, so I'll whip it off, glue it and reattach. It's a bit marked, so I'll try to clean it up and if that doesn't work I'll think about painting it to match some day.

Passenger's cup holder is stuck. I had it out, and it's just not returning when pushed to the end of its travel. Not sure what to do there, will google.

Result - I didn't realise it had the retractable dog guard, and had been tracking some on ebay. Saving!

It drives OK, although after the Jag I'm paranoid about torque converter rumble. I'm getting used to the noises over poor road surfaces, and I didn't see any surging in revs so I hope it's fine. Some clunks and bags turned out to be loose objects around the LPG tank. All secured now, so it should be fine.

The air compressor has been relocated to the right floor cubby, but it seems to have just been thrown in. I'm not convinced the intake/exhaust is clear. I'll look when it stops raining.

And it's filthy. Badly. Coffee drips all over the centre console and cup holder, just ugh. I have a day of cleaning here. Hope the weather improves!

Photos soon...

Post #382435 16th Apr 2016 12:16pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Bit like when you get any used car really. It's now the worst it's gonna be in your ownership and will only get better.... Just takes time.....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #382448 16th Apr 2016 1:08pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Welcome to the world of L322's...

The suspension pump will be quite happy just lying in that hole... if you want to fix it down get one of these...

http://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-kits/brac...ompressor/ Or make your own

Change ALL the fluids to start with then take it from there...

Read the WIKI (link above left) download the workshop manual and away you go...

No problem working through it "logically" for you.......

Live long and prosper.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #382462 16th Apr 2016 2:47pm
mr_spock

I already read the wiki from end to end, also the workshop manual! Thanks for the link to the bracket, I'll get through the spendy stuff first and see what's left over.

I just spent a couple of hours going out to fill up with LPG, then cleaning the revolting interior of baby and coffee-related mess. I'm not usually too madly anal about cleaning, but I did take a cotton bud to the rear vents where something looking suspiciously like mould was growing on coffee drips. Once I started taking out the centre cup holder I was into most nooks and crannies. Anyway, most of the marks (including some white paint!) came off, although some of the rear load space plastics have taken a hammering. I'll have to refit the upper tailgate plastics as they've been put back with big gaps, and I think they're rattling a bit.

I got the Parrot bluetooth thing working too, and stuck to the dash with some tape my trimmer gave me for another task.

Three faults showed up:

First, the temperature gauge behaves strangely. It stays dead centre for a while, then goes to the upper white line (i.e. not in the red zone), then comes back down very quickly to the centre again. It looks too fast to be reading accurately, as I can't see an engine heating and cooling that quickly. Sender perhaps?

Second, there is a bit of grumbling from the back end. Now, it could be the torque converter, but the back right tyre is different from the others, so I wonder if the slight difference in radius could be confusing the TC? The spare's worn out anyway, so I'll replace that to match the other 3 and put the mismatched one away as a spare.

Third, the rear wiper doesn't contact the screen when parked. It's like the arm is bent. I have to sort the washer anyway, so will worry about that then.

There's a slight shimmy at about 60, feels like wheel balance, and the steering wheel's a tad off centre. No big deal.

Incidentally, my wife's from Hull, and I think you're from there Haylands? Maybe we'll meet some time.

Post #382475 16th Apr 2016 4:32pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Most of your faults are common and easily fixed (use the search facility) but most worrying is the temp gauge & air pump sir... Sounds like a poor LPG kit fitting has taken place Rolling Eyes

Id have that looked at as a matter of urgency if it were me! The 4.4's temp gauge should never fluctuate and is just a computerised average reading! So, alarm bells go off when i here LPG, air pump slung in the hole & temp display issues!

Just my 2p worth sir... Thumbs Up

Post #382480 16th Apr 2016 5:41pm
mr_spock

Thing is, it doesn't do it all the time. From looking at the shop manual, and threads on various forums, it points to the ECT sensor or wiring. I'll track the temp on the diag display and see if they match. It moves too fast to be real, I feel, having had cars that overheated in the past. The LPG is a BRC system with a proper certificate, and the pump is located fine, and has some insulation around, but it's just not on any kind of bracket which I understand is not unusual.

Monday will see it booked in for a service and LPG service anyway, and in the meantime I'll check out the wiring to see if it's OK. As far as I can see from the manual, there are two sets of readings sent - one for the dash gauge, and one for the ECU.

Post #382483 16th Apr 2016 5:51pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Spock, the rear wiper on my first FFRR (2002j didn't park against the glass either. I think it was designed like that as it wiped perfectly on the way down. It also means that the rubber doesn't get perished or stuck to the window glass! Thumbs Up

Post #382508 16th Apr 2016 7:43pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

At the LPG service, ask them to check condition of the rear water hoses. They are a bugbear of this engine. And they will have been adapted to fit the LPG.
I have same engine and same make LPG . My temp gauge goes steadily to 12 o clock. Never moves.
For the next few weeks, just keep an eye on the actual coolant level.
When you buy your transmission oil, read up on buying correct oil it will only be made by Mobil and will be lt71141, and not 'equivilent to' you must use genuine, at £11 a litre
You will drain and syringe back in about 5 litres max. Though it holds near to 9.
Measure what came out, to know what to get back in....There is a procedure to observe when filling and checking.
Read up and digest.
....and enjoy!

When I gOt mine, I had same filthy carpets. with caution, I removed the front seats, unplugging airbag cables, but not turning key etc, till back in. Helped to get horrid goo from gap between console.
The passenger cup holder, has a spring, it snaps and spoils it's functionality. It can be changed, but it's about £100 for the part. But I wanted to keep my £100 so I drilled a small hole and fitted a tiny cupboard knob. I can now manually push/pull it.
Get it out with some blue tack

Post #382514 16th Apr 2016 8:08pm
vaz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Rear wiper will be seized up on the pivot.
Take the top spoiler off (3 bolts at the top of the rear hatch, you can see them when it is opened), and give the pivot a good oiling with some 3 in 1 type oil. Move the wiper arm away and to the rear window until it frees off. Clean up all the crud that comes off with the oil and re-oil.
If it is seized up too badly a new arm is around £35.

Steve. 1968 Series IIA Pastel Green, nearly there project

Post #382516 16th Apr 2016 8:15pm
mr_spock

Interesting... the coolant level is fine, but it has sparkly bits in which suggests that someone's tried a leak fix. The service history shows two water pumps in the last 40K miles. The ECT sensor wiring looks fine too. So I'll keep an eye on it and get it booked in asap for an oil service and coolant flush, and the LPG service and get them to check the hoses.

The wiper does move fine, but I was just concerned that it seems to park against the spoiler thingy (screen surround, whatever). I'll have some time tomorrow to investigate, I'll probably pull it all apart to clear the rear washer and refit the tailgate trim anyway.

And now the Parrot system won't power on. Bah.
---
Ian

Post #382517 16th Apr 2016 8:25pm
mr_spock

A little progress. The Parrot thing has no switched live. Well, it's wired into the green/brown wire under the cup holder, but it's dead. Wiring diagram time... Ah, accessory socket fuse blown.

Post #382551 17th Apr 2016 9:14am
Clivefog

I'm six and a half months ahead of you. Major problems sorted under the 3 months read the small print warranty.
Pixelated message centre repaired by a place near Southampton, do mail repair or while you wait.
Main screen did nothing, no dash lights for blinky lights or full beam, rear wiper did not, front blades dying, all replaced with RR parts (not sure if they were new or used by hey they work. And in the last week of cover during the Xmas period alternator died, Craig tried to fit one for me but could not get the right one at that time, as it is my daily driver I tried Halfords service centre (about the only place open), booked in and fitted on the first working day of the year. And of course as the 3 months had passed they tried to wiggle out of it, but I won! Battery still fine despite many trips without charging!
Passenger cup holder worked fine, only it had no bottom flap, got one from a breakers £35, catch on centre console £40 from same breakers. CD multi changer £50 ebay - what a faff to fit that! Squeak from steering wheel extension cured by a very expensive plastic part from a guy in Germany but it does the job, air pump piston seal replaced from Hamish I think recommended on here.
Fluids replaced as I would with any new to me vehicle.
I'm still happy with it, strange though now I have a vehicle that can do twice the national speed limit I rarely go above 75 - but have fun getting there! I laughed at the heated steering wheel but tended to use just that on cold mornings!
My wife loves the heated seat.
It has 20" wheels fitted that once I've covered a few thousand more miles will be powder coated black with new rubber.
I got it for the ride height and the getting in and out with knackered knees - side steps a blessing - and towing my folding camper to many steam shows around the country where I show a Garelli moped from the 70's
Just get out there and enjoy!

Post #382566 17th Apr 2016 10:14am
mr_spock

A little more this morning... A quick trip to Halfords for some fuses meant I could replace the 20A accessory socket fuse, and the rear seat heater fuse (again). I suspect that the switched live for the Parrot has piggybacked on the seat heater, so it all fails at once. I've neatened up the wiring and will see if it happens again. The accessory fuse blow was due to my hamfisted use of a 12V probe...

I've figured out how to dismantle the cup holder, but I think the spring is weak. No amount of silicone spray lowered the drag enough. I'm not bothered too much right now.

Temperature continues to be a worry. It was rock solid in the middle for the few miles to the shops, then climbed up, down, up, down... I'm thinking it may be a sticky thermostat.

I'll see if I get time this afternoon to wash it and investigate the rear wash/wipe. It's nice and sunny anyway!

Post #382579 17th Apr 2016 1:25pm
Stew 46

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bonatti Grey

After owning land rovers for 20 odd years now , there's always some bits to sort out when you pick one up and get it home Thumbs Up the tdv8 3.6 I picked up Friday has a fuel gauge problem Confused

Post #382581 17th Apr 2016 1:47pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

^the fuel gauge problem on the 3.6 is a common one.

I take it reads correct then drops to empty the. Back to correct again?

It is caused by worn sender unit in one of the tanks. Whole sender and pump required to fix it I'm afraid.

I managed to get mine to live on a while by not brimming it leaving it say £15 short when filling. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #382598 17th Apr 2016 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>