Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TD6 3.0 Injector Fault Diagnosis and Repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
TD6 3.0 Injector Fault Diagnosis and Repair

Finally got the FF mobilised and now i am in need of help to diagnose and repair the faulty injector please.

I have scanned with my faultmate and recorded the engine live data and it is obvious that injector 3 is at fault but i am hoping somebody can help me determine if the fault is wiring or injector or none of the above.

The main fault codes are below, the fan i know about as i disconnected that when it tried to catch fire..

THE DDE4 TD6 FAULT CODE MEMORY CONTAINS CODES FOR THE FOLLOWING FAULTS -:

P0480 - ENGINE FAN CONTROL MALFUNCTION. OPEN CIRCUIT/SHORT CIRCUIT TO GROUND. (CURRENTLY ACTIVE)
P0203 - INJECTOR CYLINDER 3 MALFUNCTION. LOAD DROP. (CURRENTLY ACTIVE)
P0314 - CYLINDER BALANCE CONTROL. I-COMPONENT DEVIATION OUTSIDE LIMIT. (CURRENTLY ACTIVE)

i also have the following screen shots from live data, hopefully they are readable.

Any help as to where to start is much appreciated.

cheers
Andy

Post #454464 18th Oct 2017 8:10pm
holidaychicken

Well thanks for all the help !! Razz

Took the engine top covers off today to get an idea of what is involved with removing the injectors and identified number 3, counting from the front to back as i found out.

I had a small LED test lamp and connected this up to number 3 Injector connector and tested ok with the pulse of the firing but noticed as i was reconnecting i was getting a change in the engine tone.

I decided to connect up my electronic stethoscope which has a pointer on it, a posh version of the screwdriver to the ear, and could hear the injectors tapping loudly except number 3 but as I moved the connector and wiring it would start to tap on and off. I removed the connector and I noticed a puff of orange dust come out from the top of the connector which i guess was corrosion so I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into both parts and put it on and off a few times.

I connected up the faultmate and cleared the faults and running the live data, number 3 injector's compensation value was down to -0.5 or 0 similar to the others but i cleaned all the other connectors as well, number 4 also had the corrosion and all the other were ok. Looking at the data above, number 6 connector was on really tight which was showing the lowest value before I cleaned them.

I started it a few times and had no EMS faults come back and took it for a quick spin and all was good, drove perfectly so unless I have to replace the connector I reckon I am all good Very Happy

Post #454846 21st Oct 2017 8:18pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Good result - afraid I know nothing about chip fat burners but pleased it worked out

Post #454857 21st Oct 2017 9:01pm
holidaychicken

I know a little bit more than I did , I'm only fixing the tractor for a mate. Smile

Post #454880 22nd Oct 2017 8:04am
Joe90

England 

Good to know about the corroded connectors as another possible fix. Normally I would have questioned the injector itself and headed straight for a leak test Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #454895 22nd Oct 2017 10:50am
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Good find.

I'm thinking for what it actually costs to do it might replace my injector loom for piece of mind.

Seems a very common problem which can prove to be hit and miss to diagnose.

Post #454914 22nd Oct 2017 12:37pm
holidaychicken

Definitely a common problem, we may still end up replacing the loom. The live data was the key as i could wiggle the wires and watch the values change along with a cough from the engine sometimes.

As the live data and fault code was obviously pointing to number 3 i didn't feel the need for a leak test at this stage but if i did one it might point to other problems that don/t show up on the diagnostics.
i'm not entirely sure what the compensation values mean but number 3 now shows a value lower than any of the others.

This vehicle will most likely be up for sale at some point but we intend to be fully open about what potentially needs doing and what has been done.

Post #454923 22nd Oct 2017 2:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1