Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Td6 Uprating the brakes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GDM

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver
Td6 Uprating the brakes.

I have never found the brakes on our Td6 that great. It's a 2006 MY with the TRW brakes, and the discs and pads are in good order. We tow a horse trailer with it quite a lot but, even without that attached, they still don't feel very confidence inspiring.

I don't really want to fit the Brembo brakes from the TDV8. Has anyone fitted different standard size pads/discs that have given a good improvement.

I suppose it could already have cheap pads fitted, as they were on the car when we got it.

Post #453384 8th Oct 2017 8:08pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

In what way are your brakes not inspiring? I have the same brakes with nearly new discs and pads all round and find them to be seriously good. Never had the slightest doubt about them. Could it be that your problem is elsewhere in the braking system rather than your discs and brakes?

Post #453404 9th Oct 2017 7:48am
Joe90

England 

I'm with NDFI on this, even on 3rd party discs and pads (pagid) and when fully loaded my FFRR's brakes always give confidence (I do have the TEVES system).

Probably worth checking that all is working as it should be, no sticky calipers, pad wear on both sides of the caliper, brake lines are all in good order. A 2006 model will be showing signs of corroded brake pipes if not already sorted (take a look under the covers on the passenger side) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #453407 9th Oct 2017 8:19am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I'd echo the above ... The non-brembo brakes are very good.

Because I towed a horse trailer which included some long downhill brakings, I changed my older FFRR to yellow EBC brake pads on the front and really rated them. The first brake from cold was occasionally a little bit lacking in bite ( but you would stop fine), but after that with a bit of heat in them they were very good. I basically felt I could brake from speed without reaching a fade point ... the more you pressed, the more you got ... which I found was confidence inspiring when towing.

As above, a good check of the calipers, lines and fluid will freshen up the system. The rears can be prone to sticking, which if they do can affect the pressure across the whole setup, making it spongy.

When was the last time you changed the brake fluid? its meant to be done every 2 years ( yeah right ) ... but if its been a few years, then a full flush and bleed can make a notable difference.

When flushing, its the usual process of bleeding through the new fluid till it runs clear.

You can flush through the ABS unit by simply taking the RR to the top of a steep hill, engaging the hill decent control and letting it go down the hill by it controlling the brakes itself ... the HDC engages the ABS solenoids to apply the brakes to control speed. Its an easy way to get the system running and primed. V8 or else ...

Post #453408 9th Oct 2017 8:37am
cowman

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Adriatic Blue

i have done the brembo conversion on the fronts it is a easy job ,i did it because i got some calipers cheap also they look alot better and do work better.

Post #453446 9th Oct 2017 2:30pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

mine had been renewed just before I bought it , I think they are excellent too , very impressive braking power

Post #453459 9th Oct 2017 3:19pm
GDM

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Thanks for the replies.

I do need to change the fluid, as we have now had it almost two years. I do try and do this at the specified intervals (much easier to remember on my 5 Series as it has an indicator). I am going to change the front hoses too as it was recalled for them but the 5 Series destroyed it's turbo a few days before the FF was supposed to go in and Harwoods didn't have a loan car available. TBH the hoses are so cheap it doesn't seem worth the 30 minute drive to the dealer and all the hassle involved. I will check the brake lines too, along with the calipers and the inner pads.

Glen.

Post #453537 9th Oct 2017 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1