Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Popping and crackling sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stormin

2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
Popping and crackling sound

My recently purchased 2010 FFRR has on three occasions, made a popping crackling sound from the speakers.

I've made a search and the only other reference was to a sport:
Hi all, just joined ffrr as I'm looking for a solution to an issue with my RRsport TDV8 10MY. After being left out in heavy rain recently, on two separate ocasions, the speakers have gone crazy, clicking and popping from all speakers, but only when the car is moving. Does'nt happen if the car is static, and still does it if the sound system is turned off.

Unfortunately he was directed to the sport site so I don't know if he rectified the issue.

Any one able to offer any suggestions Three things in a blokes life his dog,his car and a Cornish pasty,nothing else matters.

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE Santorini Black, Arabica Aniline seats

Previous cars
1973 Mini 1000
1971 Hillman Avenger
1975 Chrysler Sunbeam
1981 Ford Cortina
1985 Volvo 340
1989 VW Golf
1989 Volvo 240
1991 Volvo 240
1991 Jaguar Soveriegn
1996 BMW 730
2003 Honda CRV
1999 Jaguar Soveriegn
2003 Range Rover HSE Epson Green with Sand trim.

Post #413131 11th Nov 2016 7:25pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Check the wiring is properly connected to the speakers in the doors. Sometimes they can be broken off or loose. Also check for corrosion on the spikes/tongues on the plugs into the amp. Sometime a toothbrush and bit of electrical contact spray can work wonders. Thumbs Up

Post #413153 11th Nov 2016 11:52pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle I'd also make sure that its not all drowning... check the boot for water (under the floor) .. the tailgate seal isn't the best and the sunroof drains can get blocked too Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #413163 12th Nov 2016 2:46am
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Could it also be external interference? Does it happen anywhere or just somewhere? I get similar symptoms when driving in one particular area. 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #413186 12th Nov 2016 12:07pm
Stormin

2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green

Thanks for the replies:

Its happened twice after a down pour, but not after washing the car

The other time was a nice sunny day and had been for a week prior.

The first time it stopped after I stopped and restarted the engine

The other times has stayed on all the journey, but after being parked up its gone Three things in a blokes life his dog,his car and a Cornish pasty,nothing else matters.

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE Santorini Black, Arabica Aniline seats

Previous cars
1973 Mini 1000
1971 Hillman Avenger
1975 Chrysler Sunbeam
1981 Ford Cortina
1985 Volvo 340
1989 VW Golf
1989 Volvo 240
1991 Volvo 240
1991 Jaguar Soveriegn
1996 BMW 730
2003 Honda CRV
1999 Jaguar Soveriegn
2003 Range Rover HSE Epson Green with Sand trim.

Post #413250 12th Nov 2016 7:20pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle think I'd be looking at the sunroof drains.. and they are under the sill Wink Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #413298 13th Nov 2016 12:13am
Paddyc

Northern Ireland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

hi stormin
did you ever find out the reason for this

i also have 2010 SE with exactly these symptoms and just wondering if you founnd the answer

Paddy

Post #454247 16th Oct 2017 11:34pm
Cooper1275

Ireland 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

Strong chance it is the tailgate seal letting in water....thats what mine was doing.

If it is, then the water enters in under the seal on the tailgate and runs down the inside of the pillar and into the compartment that houses the amp. The amp gets corroded and shorts out the speakers. The crackling and buzzing is the amp sending too much power to the speakers and eventually they will pop. I still have not checked out the amp, i just disconnected the affected speakers (front passenger)...I will swap them eventually but its a job for another day. But I did solve the leak and that is the main thing.

Its hard to find the leak without using water, i had a look at everything with a bodyshop and we didnt find a thing visually.
I took the car to a dry indoor car pack with a helper and with brought a few sports bottles of water and a pack of kitchen paper. Here is my advise...

Open the sunroof completely so you could stick your head out of it. Get the bottle of water and poor some into a corner. You dont need to pour a lot in. A little pool of water should appear near the wheel closest to the corner you pour into. Have your helper keep an eye out and tell you when they see water trickling out. Water is a good sign and hopefully your drains work.
Work your way through each corner and hopefully you have 4 little pools under your car like i did.
Thumbs Up

Next get in the boot and take the cover off the compartment that houses the AMP/DVD/SatNav and whatever else. Take the cover off the pillar above the compartment, be careful as you may have a speaker in that panel. If you have a speaker it should be easy to disconnect it. Get a roll of kitchen paper and stuff it in above the area above where the bluetooth module sits. Tear off some kitchen paper and stuff it in the hole where the pillar panel was removed. From memory there is a cable running down the pilar, cant remember if its the speaker one...Sit you helper in the boot and let them keep and eye on that corner. Close up the boot/tailgate. Poor some water on the area where the hinge is. If like mine... your helper will see a little stream of water running down the pillar inside. The kitchen paper should catch it and hopefully they catch some too.

The hinge closest to the amp was where the seal on my boot had rotted. It had dodged me, my dad and the bodyshop inspecting it. The seal has steel inside it that rusts and breaks away from the bodywork. It peeled open on mine and allowed water to run down inside it, down the pillar, on top of the electrics and into the boot area. The above is exactly how I found it.

I bought a new seal from Dan and had the bodyshop fit it. All good and it is bone dry now
Thumbs Up

But my amp will still need fixing/swapping out eventually.

Hope this helps.

Post #454314 17th Oct 2017 8:20pm
Closerthanmost

England 

This has just happened to mine too.

Went out this morning and all was fine - only nipped to the shops, although that's a 9 mile journey for me.

It hasn't rained since then but when I got in it this evening, I was getting crackling/popping through all the speakers, even with the radio off (it was worse with the radio on though).

It was another short trip, but locked up and came back 10 minutes later and all was fine.

Had a quick shufti round the bootspace in the dark and can feel no moisture, but like I say it hasn't rained since I used it this morning. I shall have a better look in daylight.

Post #454686 20th Oct 2017 6:41pm
Paddyc

Northern Ireland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks cooper- going to give mine a really close inspection this weekend

Appreciate the really detailed advice

Paddy

Post #454801 21st Oct 2017 2:13pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The tailgate seal is notorious for letting in water and dumping it over the I.C.E and Nav equipment in the boot, mine filled up the cubby hole with about 3" of water before it all went POP Shocked Big Cry

Try and get to the floor in the cubby, even if it means feeding a bit of rag down the side of the amp / radio.... My wheel well also filled up with water... the EAS didn't like that very much either, and resulted in a new compressor... so it might be worth checking under the spare wheel too Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #454877 22nd Oct 2017 1:33am
Cooper1275

Ireland 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

No worries Paddy. Thumbs Up
Its def not something to leave on the long finger esp with the weather these days.

Post #455115 24th Oct 2017 9:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1