Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Drivers Side Arm Rest refurbish
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Drivers Side Arm Rest refurbish

So I had to remove the drivers door panel to get to the lock actuator for replacement/assessment. Figured I'd redo the crappy armrest vinyl and foam. Also wanted to repaint the door handle trim. Should be straight forward, right? Learning to do it the first time rates about a 7 on the frustration level. I hope, for those that more time than money or sense, this helps.

First disconnect the battery. No just kidding unless you are going to disconnect the airbag.

Remove door panel (card). Generally straight forward as the book says but the center clip was real snug. I'd guess at least 50 lbs of pull force and you need to stop that pull in about 6 inches or risk damage to speaker wires. This is the finished panel.

If I do it again I will use my heat gun and form the vinyl around the edges. I did the basic glue and clip to fit but the top most rear edge is too abrupt and small to contour correctly. I used marine grade vinyl which has a stronger reinforcement on the back and is less stretchable. The original appears to be a vinyl skin molded to a dense foam and also molded around the ABS plastic.

Here are the parts to the armrest.

This is what happens to the foam. It becomes split and crumbles due to friction and heat.

The non-reinforced vinyl stretches out of shape.

Here is the back of the panel. Obviously an after picture. Remove the 2 nuts holding the main armrest support and bracket. To the left of that yours will have 10 black ABS plastic rivet like blobs. I replaced 3 with screws and washers. Was planning on doing the same with the others but didn't have the right size screws and decided to just melt some ABS back to the posts. If you need to re-glue the top plastic back to the door panel then you will need to cut/drill out/hot knife all 10 ABS rivets. Otherwise just remove the lower 7 to get the armrest off. Once done pop it off. Be careful of the LED handle light and note its position.

Remove the handle trim. RAVE says 2 clips but there are 2 metal %&*(*^* pinch clips and one plastic tab. Correction 2 plastic tabs on opposite sides. After removing the other handle trim I found one of mine was broken off.

Here is another view.

Separate the handle from the foam rest half. There are 4 plastic tabs. You will only see 3 on mine because I find it customary to sacrifice at least one tab to the plastic gods.

I tried a 1 inch medium foam at first but it was too soft and it changed the shape of the rest.

Then I remembered my 1/4 inch camper shell foam. Normally this is used between the camper shell and the bed of a truck. A perfect thickness would have been 5/16 inch or something close. It is self sticking in a big way.

So now just wrap with your favorite color vinyl and pop it all together.

Remember to check alignment of LED handle light.

Sorry it is sideways. This is the contact type adhesive I used. I also re-glued 8 of the panel clip holders, stripped the window control trim to black plastic, stripped, sanded and repainted in Black Stainless Steel the handle trim and then cleaned the panel vinyl with soapy water and a fine brush. We will see how it all holds up.

Last edited by doclees on 18th Oct 2017 2:42pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #454153 16th Oct 2017 3:04am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Excellent work!
and great write up.

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #454155 16th Oct 2017 7:06am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Thanks. Something I will have to do one day. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #454239 16th Oct 2017 9:31pm
doclees

I wish I had a couple of bad armrests to play with using the heat gun to shape the vinyl better. I didn't glue the vinyl to the foam at all. I don't know if that would help or hinder the shaping. There is a local upholster here that does classic and antique cars. Maybe I can pick his brain.

Post #454241 16th Oct 2017 10:17pm
doclees

Here is the color difference.

Post #454418 18th Oct 2017 3:01pm
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

What is that Rust-oleum product and what is the colour? Is that what you used on the door hand surrounds? Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #457111 13th Nov 2017 9:22am
doclees

Yes I painted the handle trim with this slightly darker color. The previous picture is the trim before painting next to the can color.

Post #457132 13th Nov 2017 2:07pm
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Excellent. I'll have a look for it.

2-1/2 years on, how has it held up?

EDIT: Hmm, that colour doesn't appear to be brought into Australia. Sad Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #457183 13th Nov 2017 10:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1