Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > My Battery Top Tips - Go AGM!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Always

United Kingdom 
My Battery Top Tips - Go AGM!

Over the years I've had all sorts of battery issues with my full fat - an 07 3.6 TDV8. The reason for the post is that I've read a lot of posts on here to try to find a solution, and I think I'm there - so I'm going to share and feed-back.

So, mine is an 07 3.6 TDV8 L322 with Fuel Burning Heater. I've had it 4 years. Most of my driving is relatively short jouneys, mostly urban and semi-rural.

I replaced the battery in Jan 2015 with a Varta L1 (bad decision); I paid about £95 delivered. I was immediately disappointed that if I used the FBH I would be unable to start the car. So I stopped using the FBH. As time went on, the battery would frequently fail to have enough power to start the car - usually if we were in-and-out of the car and frequently locking/ unlocking it - as you do when packing to go away for example. Life became like a mini-lottery every morning! Standard kit for me was (is) a pair of jump leads in the boot and a spare battery constantly on charge - which we'd take on holiday with us in the car!

I finally got terminally Censored off with it about a month ago I read a lot of stuff on here and realised that there was more to it than simply getting as big a battery as possible with a high CCA figure (the basis of my previous battery-buying decisions). I read about 'AGM' batteries. Finding out about AGM batteries has changed my Full-Fat ownership experience completely!

So, just over a month ago I bought and fitted a Varta H15 AGM battery (£215 delivered). Absolutely fantastic decision. So far, not a single fail, and I've used the FBH quite a few times as well. I know this seems like a strange thing to get excited about, but the previous battery was simply not up to the job.

For me at least, AGM is a massive winner. Sure, it cost me an extra £100 or so, but it is a small price to pay for a massively increased level of reliability IMHO.

Fitting tips...
A battery that size is a very tight squeeze. I learned with the previous battery that the only way to get it to fit is to saw off the bottom plastic lip on the negative end of the battery. With that done it will fit - just. Mine does have all the gubbins hanging off the positive terminal end (taking up length), but even with that in place I managed to get it to fit.

For me, having the bonnet in 'access mode' is essential. Personally, I also found a sturdy step / platform to be very helpful. I imagine an assistant could be handy too, but I didn't have one of those!

I got mine from Battery Megastore (no connection to me); I've found them to be very good over several purchases.

If I think of anything else of relevance I'll add it here.

Post #455236 25th Oct 2017 9:51am
Joe90

England 

And from what others have said on here, if your car was not designed to use an AGM battery, look forward to it dying on you in @ 18 months Shocked Shocked Big Cry .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #455262 25th Oct 2017 6:26pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Although, I believe you can change the battery type with an IIDTool, so the charging strategy it changed to suit. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #455380 26th Oct 2017 5:44pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I think the problem stems from the alternator charging at 14.4+v on some cars and that will overcharge an AGM battery on a long run think it has to have a lower charge rate of approx 13.7 so a variable charge rate is best from memory

Post #455384 26th Oct 2017 7:06pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Some more info

AGM or gel cell battery replacement is the same as flooded battery replacement.

True and False. While the installation of the ­battery may be the same for the two battery styles, some vehicles require an extra step to tell the vehicle that the battery has been replaced. Newer vehicles have a Battery Sensor Module or similar systems. These systems require recalibration with a scan tool if the battery is replaced. If the system is not recalibrated, the alternator might overcharge the new battery and cause the battery to fail soon after replacement.

Post #455388 26th Oct 2017 7:41pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I believe on the later L322’s with AGM as standard, you have to tell the car the battery is replaced. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #455395 26th Oct 2017 8:49pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

AGMs take a HIGHER charging voltage. 14.6 to 14.8 is usual.

Post #455402 26th Oct 2017 9:20pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

You do indeed need to tell the car a new battery has been installed.
This is because as the battery deteriorates over time and with use, the charging cycle compensates for this.

Post #455404 26th Oct 2017 9:22pm
bleeperman

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Balmoral Blue

Bloody crazy the situation, with the RR . I have had 2 x l322 diesels and both eat batteries. Varta well had two new fail, so on Exide now, and so far so good. I believe it's software related but no indy will know how to sort it. I left a new batt on a 1978 mgbgt went back 14 months later and it started we've gone a long way with auto electrics hey8 -)

Post #455448 27th Oct 2017 4:28pm
jaysta10k

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

How do you calibrate or tell the car that a new battery is installed can you do this with the IID TOOL if so how? Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 SVO Stying Pack
Audi A4 2.7 TDI S Line Black Edition phantomn black
Previous Cars
Range Rover Vogue SE Overfinch Styling 22" Elara's full black stealth colour coded
Java black Range Rover sport 2.7 TDV6
Alaska white Range Rover sport overfinch 3.6 TDV8
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #456448 7th Nov 2017 12:13pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you can do this on the 2010-2012my but i cant see an option on your 2006 year probably cos you wernt supposed to have agm batterys fitted on yours.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #456449 7th Nov 2017 12:17pm
nar53

France 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I'm about to replace my Varta L1 on my 2002 TD6, I'll probably do a dual install whilst I'm at it. My question is do I have to tell the fatty I've replaced the battery even though it'll be like for like or like for like +1?

Cheers.

Post #456507 7th Nov 2017 10:28pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

just remember to set the steering parameters by turning the steering wheel fully left and then fully right after the battery re-connection... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #456509 7th Nov 2017 10:35pm
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

ive always brought stealer batteries on advice from Craig and my indy pal and had three RR and brought new for every one and never an issue tbh and my mrs hammers the fbh,seats etc and used on short journeys often, had all on close on three years and still all seemed as fresh as day one so worth the extra cost imo Thumbs Up _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #456531 8th Nov 2017 11:56am
nar53

France 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

stan wrote:
just remember to set the steering parameters by turning the steering wheel fully left and then fully right after the battery re-connection...

Thanks for the reminder Stan. I'm assuming no IIDtool reset is required.

Post #456573 8th Nov 2017 6:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>