Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Driver's door outside handle cable repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Driver's door outside handle cable repair

After replacing my door actuator with a new one I was disappointed to see it had nothing to do with door pull not opening the door. After watching the YouTube video on door handle removal I see they comment on how the cable end breaks off over time. I ordered one from island4x4 because I refuse to pay $50 US for a stupid cable. Meanwhile I decided to fix what I had.

The cable broke clean at the steel cylinder end.

If you reuse the cable and end you will need to drill out the cylinder so you have working room. If your cable has the clean break insert it back into the side it was attached. Bring it up through the top a bit so you can fan out the strands. In the future I intend to set up some molds and use lead. I didn't have lead. Just used low lead solder. Doesn't flow well. Get some solder into the fanned out cable strands. Pull cable end back into cylinder pocket and fill with more solder. You may be able to do this with JB weld but I never had good results with that stuff. There is just barely enough extra cable length to do this once. Really with cable from a bicycle shop and lead you can fix any cable for a couple of €£$.

It is holding for now. Time to make molds and keep cable on hand for future cable repairs.

Post #455451 27th Oct 2017 5:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1