Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Germany - Winter Tyre Requirements
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I store mine at home. 3 cars = 12 wheels in storage at any one time. Actually, for two cars I have another set of wheels, so that's 20. Fortunately I have the space, but I'll be down to two cars soon.

Post #456456 7th Nov 2017 12:15pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Interesting read
I went over in January this year and was worried my M+S tyres wouldn’t be sufficient but a quick message to Angel sorted that!

Surprised it’s changing though, mine coped fine on all the snow, and I had no problems in the mountains with the car or tyres.

No one checks either, unless you’re in an accident I believe! 

Post #456458 7th Nov 2017 1:15pm
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Just to be clear, next week I will be travelling over to the Hannover area for a few days, my original Continental M&S will be OK?

L405 with 22" turbines

Post #456460 7th Nov 2017 1:27pm
KurtVerbose

Stacker wrote:
Surprised it’s changing though, mine coped fine on all the snow, and I had no problems in the mountains with the car or tyres.

Click image to enlarge

Post #456463 7th Nov 2017 1:45pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

@jumping mouse...re the above info i think you will be ok... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #456508 7th Nov 2017 9:30pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I am travelling to Austria for Xmas, travelling through Germany, so was looking at a set of winter tyres however the above and my research shows that my nearly new M&S Pirelli Scorpian Zero tyres are all that required (at the moment unless you buy them in 2018) for both austria & Germany. I will be taking chains in the boot as it is advised but not a legal requirement if tyres marked "M&S".

Austria:

In Austria, the law states that between 1st of November and the 15th of April, a car - that has a maximum weight 3.5 tonnes - can only drive in winter conditions (i.e. snow, ice, slush, etc) as long as winter tyres have been fitted. If an all-season tyre bears the "M + S" mark on the sidewall, these will be considered as an adequate alternative.

If you do not follow these laws, you risk a fine of around €5,000 as well as losing your vehicle to the impound lot.

There are also major ramifications to your insurance. If you are in an accident during the winter and you do not have winter tyres fitted to your car, then your policy will be deemed null & void.

Germany:

Recently, Germany added new rules to their Highway Code. According to the law, motorists must have winter tyres (that bear the M+S symbol) if they are driving on snow, black ice or roads covered in frost.

If you are caught driving in these conidtions withouth the appopriate tyres fitted, you are likely to be fined €40. This amount will be doubled if you are the reason for any delays to traffic. You will also lose one point on your driving license.

Post #457905 20th Nov 2017 9:09am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

snow chains are a wise decision... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #457910 20th Nov 2017 9:41am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I believe you are correct on the legal requirement - and I think you also understand the difference Wink

M&S is a tread pattern designed for self clearing mud and snow.

Winter tyres are made from rubber with a higher silica content, so remain more flexible (grippy) in lower temperatures and have additional tread cuts (sipes) to generate more heat.

On a cold wet road, winters stop way better - and the difference is even greater on ice.

Chains are a good option if you know the ice is there...... and if you don’t mind fitting them half way up a mountain in the cold.

For a once a year trip, to a major resort, sticking to the main route, during the day, I’d probably save the cash as the road will likely be cleared.

I’ve had winter tyres for many years and once past the initial outlay, have never regretted it - makes the journey more relaxed knowing that you have the best you can reasonably get and I’ve never needed the chains, even though I’ve been past cars stuck on the mountain fitting theirs.

I also carry 2 pairs of snow chains - mine are Thule K Summit XXL which don’t have anything behind the tyre - if I ever need to fit them, they’re going on all 4 wheels and I would also raise the suspension to increase clearance. (LR say rear wheels only for L405 and fronts for the L322)

I’m usually arriving very late Friday and leaving very early Monday, so I want to be as capable as I possibly can be.

Post #457919 20th Nov 2017 11:24am
KurtVerbose

Funny, I've never had chains, or really cause to use them. I keep meaning to get a set, but I don't have any Swiss friends with them either. I guess if you live here you just avoid travelling when there's a big storm and the roads haven't been cleared.

I see them as a good insurance policy but certainly no substitue for a good set of winter tyres.

Post #457920 20th Nov 2017 11:27am
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Have to say that the legal requirements never really interest me I am more interested in what is the best tyre type to have on the vehicle = we have 6 cars at home 3 only really do local stuff so have michelin cross climates on the other three do more miles and have full summers on in summer and full winters in winter - would never forgive myself if any of the family had an accident that could have been avoided by tyre choice also chop them all in at 4mm just my choice

Post #457953 20th Nov 2017 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12