Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Car Magazine - SVA Dynamic vs Bentayga
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green
Car Magazine - SVA Dynamic vs Bentayga

A pretty flimsy article, but the verdict is that the SVA Dynamic (17MY, admittedly) is comprehensively outclassed by the ugly Audi:

"... the SVA is not... luxurious enough, fast enough or agile enough to go toe to toe with the Bentley".

"The big boys are coming and if Land Rover really wants to play, it's going to need to do more than throw a few bits of shiny metal trim at a Range Rover".

Suppose you can't see the outside of them from inside...

Post #457166 13th Nov 2017 8:04pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I’ve heard similar things said before and truth be told, they have a point with the Bentley.

The Bentley may be vile from the outside (and like virtually all VAG products) looks like another wretched variation on a Golf ( Yawn ), but the inside was always going to be more nicely finished. Like most cars, there’s always going to a “sweet spot” in the range and it’s normally nearer the middle Thumbs Up

Post #457167 13th Nov 2017 8:36pm
Philip

Yes, the current RR definitely seems to make more sense at £80-100k.

Suspect the Bentayga, Cullinan etc. will mean that its replacement has more of an on-road focus - will be interesting to see how they compete with the big-power multi-cylinder engines of the rivals, the rumoured LR use of the BMW twin-turbo V8 doesn't sound like a W12/V12 alternative.

Post #457170 13th Nov 2017 8:44pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I'm somewhat split on these. As nice as the Bentayga is (and it is very nice inside), for me it loses out to the FFRR on lack of credible performance away from the kings road. The big selling point for my view is that, sure there are a few vehicles out there that are more luxurious, and yes there are some that rival it for off road performance, but none of them can pull all the party tricks the Range Rover can. Plus, no Royal or nobility would be seen dead in a Bentayga. Range Rover has the cache not just from it's own abilities but it's client list too.

Post #457179 13th Nov 2017 9:53pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Sales figures say it all - even in the most exclusive areas, there aren’t that many Bentleys......l

Post #457182 13th Nov 2017 10:06pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

The thing is that Range Rovers got their cache because the landed gentry wanted them to go shooting. There is simply nothing else that will take you up to the grouse moors from London in such comfort and then be able to get you, your guns, your dogs, your loader to the middle of the moor (and back out again). Because the aristocracy wanted them, others did too.

The Bentanglegayer would get you to the edge of the moor in great style. But not your dogs. And might get you to your butt. But would maybe not get you back again.

What worries me is that I'm not sure Land Rover really understand that. The L405 boot is already too small. The MY18 Autobiography has a smaller boot still. The PHEV is even smaller than that.

I think the next generation will be more road focused and will have a smaller boot. If it goes that way, it will be curtains. It'll be a footballers accessory.

Post #457186 13th Nov 2017 10:27pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Alistair wrote:
Sales figures say it all - even in the most exclusive areas, there aren’t that many Bentleys......l

I complete agree Thumbs Up .

Post #457192 13th Nov 2017 10:42pm
Philip

London is awash with Bentaygas, they’re a very common sight for a £150-200k car.

Whilst I haven’t driven one, I’ve been in a couple and despite the nice wood and leather, there’s still crummy plastic inside - the dash and wheel buttons are generic VW, the console cupholder is nasty cheap black plastic etc. Outside too - all that awful chromed mesh across the front is plastic.

Post #457198 13th Nov 2017 10:56pm
Philip

Emperor Mong - convinced LR don’t give a stuff about their longstanding customers, in fact I get the impression it’s almost embarrassing to them. Four grand for green paint!

Post #457200 13th Nov 2017 11:00pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

The Bentley is just an SQ7 with an additional £100k price tag. And as someone who probably ranks as the shortest living owner of an SQ7 even I knew it was an ugly old bird when I bought her. The interior of the Bentley does look lovely but it’s an awful lot of money for An Audi in a party frock.

I’ve seen these two tested by others, Autocar springs to mind and I think the journos have missed the point entirely. Cars like these aren’t meant to travel at interstellar speeds and handle like they are on rails. They are meant to be a big comfortable way to transport you and lots of your stuff serenely, anywhere. I’m not sure the Bentley could do that, nor am I convinced that Range Rover is entirely on the right course with this sales chaser at the helm.

And finally I believe if they’d tested the standard AB against the Bentley, it’d have won hands down at half the price.

Post #457204 13th Nov 2017 11:59pm
Philip

Don't think there's much doubt that the Bentley is more refined, quieter etc.

Big difference in approach is that they feel (like the Q7 unsurprisingly) very car-like when you're in them, almost claustrophobic with the inclined A-pillars, when compared with the Range Rover. Suppose the Cullinan will be the only big 4x4 which shares the Range Rover's more upright feel.

I imagine Land Rover will build what they know sells - and that's bling at the moment.

Post #457206 14th Nov 2017 12:07am
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Emperor Mong wrote:
What worries me is that I'm not sure Land Rover really understand that. The L405 boot is already too small. The MY18 Autobiography has a smaller boot still. The PHEV is even smaller than that.

I think the next generation will be more road focused and will have a smaller boot. If it goes that way, it will be curtains. It'll be a footballers accessory.

Totally agree!

Let's hope that by 2021 (+/-) LR will have launched a GT model that can compete with the Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo and the likes, in stead of trying to make the next ffrr model even more of a GT model. If LR stick with the iconic and unique ffrr-recipe; timeless, luxury practicality both on- and off-road - the next model will be a winner over Bentayga etc again! (I personally hope that LR will design the next model with PHEV capabilities in mind, so that one could get a PHEV with more boot space and an electric deployable tow bar as well).

Post #457208 14th Nov 2017 12:19am
memzy88

United Kingdom 

I dont think Bentayga and Range Rover are really rivals. They are both class of their own in their price brackets. Where you can compare X5, ML, XC90, Q7, Cayanne, RR Sport against each other, i cant think of think any other alternative to the FFRR at its price tag. At the same time, having lived with Bentayga for 5 days no one could sell me they are like Q7, VW bla bla, I know they share the same platform but Bentayga feels, smells and drives exactly like a Bentley should.

If i was to spend around £150k+ on a SUV or any car, i would certainly consider the brand image, exclusivity and dealership experience. Being a Bentley owner for last 3 years and FFRR owner for the last 4 months i can confidently tell you, there is no way Land Rover could ever compete with Bentley in these regards. Bentley dealership experience is very personal, very different from volume sales based brand. I was sitting in a coffee shop in Green park area we count more FFRRs than 3 series and C Class combined!

Will i spent £150k+ on Bentayga? No, because it looks ugly to my eyes. Will i spent £120k+ on a Land Rover? NO WAY. The brand, dealership experience, exclusivity,etc simply not worth that much for me. For around £80-90K though i wouldn't think any other SUV than FFRR . 2017 Range Rover SDV6 AB
2021 Aston Martin DBS superleggera
2017 Aston Martin DB11 V12 - Sold
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Sold
2014 Range Rover SDV8 - Sold
2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed - Onyx Black - Sold

Post #457238 14th Nov 2017 12:04pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

LR isn't bothered who tries to compete with them, or who they have to compete against. LR will sell sell sell until they're so common no-one wants a new one, as have BMW. Who in their right mind is going to spend 100k plus on a vehicle when there's a dozen exactly the same (to the average viewer) on the council estate around the corner. To Joe Bloggs an older RR with a private plate is exactly the same as the new one that's just cost you a small fortune !

Post #457279 14th Nov 2017 6:02pm
Philip

That's surely more a function of who can get approved for, and pay for, the finance payments. Everything, and not just Range Rovers, is devalued when it's available to people who are effectively only able to service interest on a debt's value rather than actually pay for the item.

Not sure why this post has appeared in Photos,Video & Media - pretty sure I posted it in L405 General.

Post #457287 14th Nov 2017 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>