Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Not happy :-(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Zeb

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green
Not happy :-(

Sad to report that my lovely 56 plate 3.6 TDV8 Vogue SE was the victim of a numpty van driver who reversed his trailer..complete with 12 person spa pool on it...into the front of her..not fast but heavy. Initial repair bill was looking like £3900 but now, having opened the bonnet, they are saying new slam panel, maybe new bonnet etc..and the replacement headlights just went up in price by another £250 each. Getting very close to write off territory. I have told the reps from my insurance I want it fixed...his insurer is paying out. Too good a car to lose, so any advice on the best approach here? Thanks!

Post #450688 12th Sep 2017 1:20pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Sorry to hear about your fattie. Big Cry

This may sound like a pointless question but has the other driver, and more especially his insurance company, admitted they are at fault and agreed to deal with the claim and repairs? 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #450689 12th Sep 2017 1:40pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

If they write it off, then ask to buy it from them.

Post #450690 12th Sep 2017 1:44pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

buy it back fix with readily available parts (cheap) diy

its an easy fix

Post #450692 12th Sep 2017 1:51pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

If it wasn't your fault, and you are claiming form the 3rd party then you can insist it is repaired and not written off.

Post #450702 12th Sep 2017 3:24pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

Alistair wrote:

Better than that, wait until you have a price for a full repair, once you have that ask for 'Cash in lieu'.

They will allow you to take the cash less the VAT of the repair price and it will not be recorded as a Cat D etc.

That is of course if you think you can get it repaired elsewhere at a much better price. Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #450705 12th Sep 2017 4:11pm
Zeb

Other chap admits liability so one less worry.

It appears I cannot insist it is repaired? Yes, I could do it myself but really could do without the aggro and would need another car in the meantime. The repair bill is looking to be around £7000 so it is close or even over the 66% of market value guideline they tell me they are using, assuming a current value of approx £10,000. The car has recently had all new brake disks, front Brembos, rear shocks and all the brake lines replacing...oh and all the oils done for the trans / gearbox / diffs too... Shocked

Post #450713 12th Sep 2017 5:00pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I had this with my wife's Toyota. Hit when parked, so no doubt that the other guy was 'paying'.

So I took it to the best, top notch repair shop and they quoted and then my insurance company said it's a write-off at that repair cost.

I thought I was really stuck and I argued and argued with them and then the only solution was to get a repair quote that was within the formula.

You need to get the £7000 cost down. So shop around, use a good shop but explain the value/write off figures and see what they can do. Maybe a bodyshop that can pull out the damage rather than replace. Dare I suggest second hand parts? Maybe. Forgo the hire car too.

It's wrong but I was told that's the "system" and you can't change it.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #450742 12th Sep 2017 9:08pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

any pics pal , its bolt on stuff easily sourced as the guys have said so bet it could be repaired in no time

Post #450750 12th Sep 2017 9:34pm
NobbyC

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Zeb awful news - I had a similar incident in June when my indy phoned to say the service had been completed but unfortunately a local farmer had reversed his tractor and trailer into the front of the car outside his workshop. Fortunately only damage was to the number plate , bumper and grill and he would get it repaired immediately. Even gave the car a detailed valet for my inconvenience. In your case the key thing is not to let the insurers take your car away - you may never see it again nor use their repairers who contractually work to a agreed low cost basis. If you want to use your own repairer you have the right to do so and it may be more advantageous particularly in sourcing replalement parts etc. Remember it's your car and the other party is responsible for putting you back to the condition before the accident and it is not up to your insurer to decide on the write off. The claim should be against the other parties insurers and therefore all dealings should be with them and not via your insurers unless you wish them to liaise on your behalf but beware more often than not both insurers work closely together and look for the cheapest solution between them thus minimising their losses by sharing the liability. Ispeakfrombitter experience. Anyway hope you get a happy resolution You may find the following link of interest.
Good luck
http://www.motorclaimguru.co.uk/your-rights-as-a-consumer.html

Post #450752 12th Sep 2017 9:38pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
...the other party is responsible for putting you back to the condition before the accident and it is not up to your insurer to decide on the write off.

Sadly not so. I argued this until blue in the face. The Toyota was a write-off not due to extensive damage but low relative car value tipping the scales of the dreaded formula. So I had to pull it back from write-off status (is that Cat-D?) and get a number of quotes until the numbers worked. I got legal advice too, they won't spend £10,000 to repair a car worth £5000. Just won't happen. I tried!
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #450756 12th Sep 2017 9:50pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

Zeb wrote:
Other chap admits liability so one less worry.

Has that come from his insurer?

Not yours. Not him. But his insurer?

Until you hear it from them be careful.

The guy who hit my ML admitted it, he even came in my shop to tell me he had done it. My insurer then started the work and 6 months later they started sending me letters saying they had not got the other person to admit liability. Once the insurer steps in they will try and wiggle.
I said that I had an email from the guy admitting it, and if they tried that Censored I would take them to court. I didn't have an email but it worked. It is a corrupt business and full of people with no morals at all, so be careful. Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #450762 12th Sep 2017 10:21pm
NobbyC

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Alistair wrote:

So many people say this but do tell me how do you buy back a vehicle you already own? The insurer only has the right to retain the vehicle when they have bought the vehicle off YOU by means of a settlement. Up to that point the vehicle is always yours.

To quote the Motor Claim Guru
"Retaining a Cat D (or Cat S under the new system) is extremely foolish , as you are being conned by your insurer. Here is why.
Repair cost on your £10000 car are £8500. Your insurer advise's that the car is a Cat D/(Cat S) total loss, and you can retain the vehicle for £3000.
This means you get £7000, plus your car back unrepaired, and it now has the stigma of being a Cat D, and the market value is worth 20% less than it would be without.

We already know it is going to cost £8500 to repair your car, so even using secondhand parts you would struggle to repair for £7000 you received. Once you have spent your £7000 your car is now only worth £8000.
Had you asked for a Cash in lieu settlement, you would have received the £8500 and still have a vehicle that is not a total loss.
You would be at least £2000 better off.
Insurer's do no like providing cash settlement at higher figures as they like to reduce the risk of fraud and they have the contractual right to offer to repair.
You can also insist on the vehicle being repaired.
In both situations, your car has been(should be) repaired to manufacturer standards,and is still worth approximately what it was prior to the accident.
Do not forget, as I keep stating, look and read your contract of insurance!!! It will state you are indemnified UP TO the market value.
"

Post #450769 12th Sep 2017 11:16pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It's also worth remembering that, if you use your insurer by claiming on your own policy, you are bound by their rules as you entered into a contract with them. This could mean they will write it off, or repair it using non-genuine parts (they will argue they are equivalent) and you have little argument in law. They also have the right to pursue the other driver and/or his insurer for their costs IN YOUR NAME, possibly dragging you through the courts and not reimbursing your excess until they recover all their costs.

If possible, deal with the other insurer direct once they have admitted liability. Tell your insurer what you're doing. They won't care as long as it isn't costing them time or money. You don't have a contract with the other insurer so don't have to accept any of their "rules". They are more likely to agree a cash payment to cover the repairs rather than the hassle of arranging or paying for repairs. They also don't want you to use a claims management company as that costs them loads more money.

I'm in the middle of a very similar case where a guy drove into the back of me a few weeks ago. My insurer pointed me to a claims management company but when I read up about them and their "sharp" practices I ditched them. The other insurer agreed to pay for the damage at a garage of my choice (in this case an LR dealer) and they are hiring me a car for the week it's going to be in the body shop. No hassle and all very straightforward.

If you don't want it written off then don't claim on your own policy. Negotiate with the other insurer. If they prove difficult you always have the option to revert back to a claim on your policy or just hint to them that you're going to use a claims management company. They soon be more reasonable.

As NobbyC says, don't let anyone take it away otherwise you lose control over what happens.

Good luck, hope you get a good outcome. Thumbs Up 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #450771 12th Sep 2017 11:42pm
Zeb

Ok so it is being handled by a claims management company. The 3rd party's insurers have accepted liability but I hear today that they have deemed the car a total loss as repairs are £6600 + potentially a new bonnet and respray because it may be bent, alongside the slam panel. I am awaiting an offer of settlement that comes via Tec Report after they have researched prices etc but I suspect the offer will be around £9.5k and finding another just like mine with all that work done or a lower mileage is going to be unlikely. I may be wrong, they may offer more. To find something equivalent I seem to be looking at £11.5-£13.5k. The claims management company are happy to support me in going for a cash in lieu settlement but it strikes me as a little risky as regards what damage has actually been done. ie, slam panel replacement...I have neither the time nor inclination to be doing this! Seeing as they have admitted liability I would still like to get her fixed at their expense...Tec Report tell me that it can't be done as it is 'not down to personal preference'. I was interested to read Cole vs Heatherton [2013] EWCA Civ 1704 which basically deemed that 'Provided the claimed cost of repair was not unreasonable therefore, it was recoverable.' The question in this case is, is it unreasonable to expect repair when the cost is over and above 66% of 'market value'. Ah well, will see what happens next! Thanks for all the helpful advice thus far!

EDIT: Just got off the phone from Tec Report. I have been offered £9368 for the car. Or, with a Cat D marker I have been offered £7494.40p. I have enquired about a cash in lieu settlement and they tell me it would be down to another engineer reviewing the total loss...it comes in at 69% of value at the moment...and agreeing to changing figures so that it is under 66%...if that makes sense..and then it is a question of what they would give me along with the car....I would be aiming for the same amount as with Cat D status ideally!

I think I would struggle to get another car as good for the £9k figure myself! What do people think?

Post #450806 13th Sep 2017 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>