Home > General (L405) > 4.4 SE or 3.0 autobiography
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
S33MAF

2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Baltic Blue
4.4 SE or 3.0 autobiography

Hi guys,
I’ve identified a couple of L405 MY14 motors both tick the colour and price box. Both tick most of the boxes on the LR compare thingy so which do I go for?
Cheers in advance.

Post #458159 22nd Nov 2017 3:40am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

It's a no brainer to me. Whichever is in the best condition, with the best mileage!

The VSE has almost everything that's needed but the AB has just that little bit more toys. As for the engines both a great engines. I do have a personal favourite but it's close and largely dependent on driving style and what you'll actually be using it to do.

To give a better idea put links up to both cars and it should be easier to advise Thumbs Up

Post #458191 22nd Nov 2017 12:47pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Already discussed to death - search is your friend Very Happy 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #458210 22nd Nov 2017 3:00pm
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

If this is really about the engine you will get sensible comments in support of each engine and not too much against either engine. It seems that we pretty much all like what we have, that's why the 4.4 is better!

Post #458218 22nd Nov 2017 3:44pm
Fat Wolfie

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It’s a tough call....

I recently owned a 4.4 AB (405) but after a lot of infotainment issues it went back to the dealer.

As of this morning, pending delivery of my 2018 car, they have loaned me a 3.0 FF Vogue.

So I have recent experience of both engines and the trim level at both ends of the scale.

As regards the engine, driven in isolation the 3.0 is smooth and powerful. But I have to say that compared to the 4.4, it feels much rougher (particularly at tickover on a cold engine, there’s definitely a “feeling” through the steering wheel of harshness.)

So as I used to regularly get 40 mpg on a run from the 4.4, for me the 4.4 is a much nicer engine to have.

Looking at the trim level, again in isolation the Vogue is a very nice place to be. But surprisingly a number of the AB toys I thought were gimmicky at first make the Vogue feel a bit down market. (This is the Vogue, not the SE). Particularly I missed the active cruise control which automatically adjusts your speed to the other traffic, and also the cameras for parking. On the appearance front, the leather headlining in the AB definitely gives a more up market feel. I also think the leather trim on the dashboard on the AB was a better leather. The Vogue doesn’t seem to have the heated windscreen or remote pre heater either, both of which are useful features as winter approaches.

The Vogue SE might have some of the features I’ve mentioned above.

So my personal view would be to hold out for a 4.4 AB, which may have to be a year older than you’re currently considering. Or if the SE has the adaptive cruise, cameras and heated screen then my vote would go for the 4.4 SE.

But it’s horses for courses, neither would be a bad car, both are very nice places to be so good luck with your decision!

Post #458220 22nd Nov 2017 3:47pm
S33MAF

Thank you for your replies chaps, as I understand the new 3.0 will feel similar to the 4.4 I currently have in my L322 and the new 4.4 is another step up in response all due to the lighter chassis etc.
With regards to specifications it seems you need a PHD to work out the difference between models and to make it even easier it seems that dealers do not list spec correctly on LR site.
Tbf the main things I use on current car are heated front window, heated seats and heated steering wheel. I like the idea of cooled seats though for that week of summer we get.
These are the prospective cars I mentioned.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705315994257
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709269687117

Post #458273 23rd Nov 2017 2:59am
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

Heated front screen is standard on the Vogue (and wheel). I personally think the 3.0 is smoother than the 4.4, which is why I'm getting a SC next time Very Happy

Post #458280 23rd Nov 2017 8:45am
Fat Wolfie

For what’s its worth, looking at both sets of info, I think I’d be getting the 3.0 AB. Both cars look very good, lovely colour combo but the AB spec definitely floats my boat. I’d probably regret not getting all the toys more than I’d regret the smaller engine, which is a perfectly fine motor.

I’m sure you’ll be happy with whatever decision you make, don’t think either would be wrong!

Post #458294 23rd Nov 2017 10:42am
Basilfawlty

Yes you even get cooled front seats on the VSE too in addition to all the other things that you regularly use.

Just by way of comparison have you seen this one. A thousand pounds more but its 18 months newer which means it will benefit from lots of improvements on the MY14 cars, including Incontrol which gives you a built in tracker and there's many other upgrades as LR go continual improvement rather than wait for a face-lift before adding extra bits

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=2

And if you don't mind a black interior there's a nice SDV8

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2789411

In terms of the two cars you've picked for my money it'd be the AB but they are both nice cars and have similar trade values. If you decide on the VSE you need to check it has a sunroof. It was around MY14 that sunroofs became standard but some cars don't have them on this age of car and are considered less desirable by the dealership and therefore the customer

Post #458297 23rd Nov 2017 10:52am
S33MAF

So I've put a deposit on the 3.0 AB and will go and have a look at and drive on Saturday.

Obviously the car comes with 2yr LR warranty, any ideas how much its likely to be to extend for a year? I paid £1500 for this year on my current L322 which was a bit steep but had a pressure thingy done which should have been £1200 odd quid and a new computer thing at last service which was over £1000 so I've got my monies worth.

Probably not going to PX my current car as I have a couple of dealer friends that want it so any ideas if I would be able to get anything off the windscreen price and or get a reduction on the APR which is currently 7.9. Thinking should be able to get 6.9 on the APR or perhaps £1000 off the windscreen? car has been with them since the beginning of June months.

Basil, I did have a look at both but the wife wants Blue and Ivory and the one you have pointed out is a fair old distance from me and I cant be arsed to travel but thank you for pointing them out. Also noticed the AB I'm looking at has a tow bar which will allow me to trailer my Exige to track days... well I say to it may be more important to be able to trailer it back Laughing PS is a 14 plate car not a MY14?

Pixelpower, I would love a SC but I'm up for a speeding ban at the end of the month so it's probably best I stick to an oil burner.

Cheers Guys, I will let you know how I get on.

Post #458385 24th Nov 2017 2:58am
Basilfawlty

with the car being on their forecourt for five months I'm guessing they'd be very keen to see it go but I guess you've weakened your hand by leaving a deposit before you've talked price. That said no deal is done until the paper-work is signed.

The car that you've picked isn't overly expensive in the first place tbh and I'm guessing that it will be a lot less than they were originally asking but even so I'm unconvinced that they will move a long way in terms of price. I'd have thought if you got £2k off you will have a very fair deal as the trade on that car is around the 46K mark.

I'm sure they will then try and get you to buy all the usual high profit items such as gap, alloy and paint treatment etc.

Post #458408 24th Nov 2017 10:52am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

S33MAF wrote:
So I've put a deposit on the 3.0 AB and will go and have a look at and drive on Saturday...

If you put a 'phone deposit' down on a car with a dealer does that come after remote negotiation on price or does it indicate to the dealer you are paying the screen price?

Post #458483 25th Nov 2017 9:11am
S33MAF

So I've bought the 3.0AB due to toys, discount and finance rate negotiated.

I did notice a big difference in the acceleration of the 4.4 but I can live with it and I have an Exige if I want to go fast.

Now it's time to sell the L322.

Post #458521 25th Nov 2017 7:40pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Any photos? Thumbs Up

Post #458524 25th Nov 2017 8:14pm
Fat Wolfie

Fantastic.

Enjoy Thumbs Up

Post #458525 25th Nov 2017 8:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top