Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Where does the telephone mic wiring get routed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
MrP

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Where does the telephone mic wiring get routed?

Hi - just been installing a Gen 13 ULF + new loom into the RR. Got it all working and paired with the iPhone BUT the last bit of the puzzle is the mic connection. Rather than re-run the new loom through the car I thought I would just jump onto the old loom wires to get to the roof mounted mic.......but can I trace them NO!!!!!

Looked through RAVE and am still none the wiser - there are three wires to the Mic but after they enter the taped up loom I'm lost.

Help! "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

'61 Plate 5.0SC Autobiography - in Black ——— Gone
'53 plate 4.4V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey inside and out. ----- Gone

Post #47406 25th Jan 2011 2:23pm
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

MrP I see you are in the same County as me so I may be able to help in person Wink

It really depends on the factory loom fitted in your car, which is very much year dependant Rolling Eyes Assuming your car does have a phone loom as you have fitted the ULF you should find a 3 pin plug for the mic up in the front roof lining panel on the opposite side to the sunroof switch.

My guess is you have already found this and connected to it and are bemused as to why it is not working? If so then I am certain you phone loom also has a separate 26pin blue plug located down near or behind the nav computer, this would have been for the original factory voice module (if specified). I cant remember which pins are which so I will have to dig out some old wiring diagrams if needed but basically the three mic wires from the rear 54pin plug now connected to your ULF route to the front head lining via this blue 26pin plug. You either need to obtain or buy a joining plug which I think are only available "state side" or the easier option is to remove the 6 wires from the plug and join the corresponding coloured pairs together and all will be fine! Thumbs Up

Hope this helps Cool

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #47446 25th Jan 2011 5:30pm
MrP

The car has the original phone prep wiring and mic in the roof - its a 53 plate vogue with sunroof. the roof mic is connected to the three pin plug and I have tried to trace it through to the 16 way blue plug in the rear - with the amount of spaghetti wiring things have been a struggle. Using a wire tracer seems to react to more than one wire......

If you have a wiring diagram for the 2003 vogue and can tell me which pins are for the mic then that would be a great help - I thought I had it sorted with a diagram from Adam (l322.com) web site but it appears not so far. Once i know which wires are the mic I will be fine and as you say will just join the original mic wires to the new wires in the modified loom. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #47447 25th Jan 2011 5:40pm
MrP

Blame the browser for a double post "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #47448 25th Jan 2011 5:41pm
Ajay(UK)

Having a quick look at old docs it appears that MIC+ are pins 9 & 11 (Yellow) and MIC- are pins 8 & 10 (Black). Check to see if the colours of these wires match first Wink 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #47449 25th Jan 2011 5:51pm
MrP

Either I'm looking at the wrong plug or things are very different. The old seimens telephone connected to the old telephone unit with a blue 54pin plug (that I have assumed has the three mic wires in it). I have removed the old telephone unit and replaced it with a new Gen 13 ULF and a modified bit of loom from l322.com that connects to the large white plug for power and iBus and has plugs for an eject box (not using) and the three wires for the mic.

Just checked the old blue 54 pin plug that went into the old telephone unit and the wire colours / pins do not match up.

What can I check next? "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #47458 25th Jan 2011 6:27pm
millerj90

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

MrP
There are some great instructions and photographs here :-http://www.roverupgrades.com/Rover_Bluetoo...tions.html

More importantly for you, the show the connections for the microphone, and even the "hidden" one under the cubby box. Hope it helps.

On a separate (but related) note, where did you obtain your ULF?

Good Luck
John

Post #47468 25th Jan 2011 7:15pm
Ajay(UK)

You mentioned the old siemens unit..............do you have a small silver module bolted under the Nav Computer? This is the voice recognition module that came with the orginal factory fitted phone kit, the newer bluetooth modules have "voice" bult in them and this separate module is now "surplus to requirements!" The 26 pin plug that goes to this module is the one I am referring too. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.

Post #47469 25th Jan 2011 7:16pm
Ajay(UK)

millerj90 wrote:
MrP
There are some great instructions and photographs here :-http://www.roverupgrades.com/Rover_Bluetoo...tions.html

More importantly for you, the show the connections for the microphone, and even the "hidden" one under the cubby box. Hope it helps.

This should sort it Thumbs Up Its been 4 1/2 years since I did mine Embarassed 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.

Post #47470 25th Jan 2011 7:21pm
MrP

Excellent - I will have a look first thing in the morning - so assuming it is the same I use the two yellows together and the two blacks....whats the other black in the three wires for the mic - is that just to ground? "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #47471 25th Jan 2011 7:25pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

MrP wrote:
Using a wire tracer seems to react to more than one wire......

If you are using a continuity tester with the mic plugged in, you'll get continuity through the mic so more than one wire will react.

I don't quite understand where you are having difficulties. The chart on Adam's site has it listed: pins 52, 53, and 54 in the 54 pin plug in the original configuration are the mic. If you had the BitII phone, those wires should be there and be active.

Wiring diags are all in the RAVE. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #47473 25th Jan 2011 7:27pm
MrP

Yep - not doubting Adams chart but when you have failed to get it working after following what is a detailed pinout you start to doubt things Smile The wiring colours didn't match on the 54pin to those at the mic hence the confusion. I will have a look at the old voice module and see what I find.

Wasn't using a continuity tester but a tone signal tracer.

Thanks for info though guys - much appreciated. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #47474 25th Jan 2011 7:37pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

If you've removed the voice control module then that's your problem. The 3 mic wires go directly to the Phone module (BITII or ULF) w/o the voice control module but are diverted into the vcm when fitted - from there 3 other wires go back out and continue to the ULF.

You can just plug the vcm back in to test, but you'll need to leave the vcm out in the long run. Otherwise you end up with a schizophrenic RR as the ULF has voice control too - and both voices will start speaking to you. Maybe you'll end up schizophrenic too...
Rolling with laughter

BTW, there is a mistake somewhere in Adam's chart but I don't remember what it was.

Out of curiosity: why do you need to fit bits of loom? Normally with the Siemens phone installed it's a matter of re-pinning the 54pin plug and that's it. (and removing the vcm) You'll want the later mic if you don't have it yet - much better than the earlier one likely installed in your RR. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #47481 25th Jan 2011 7:50pm
Ajay(UK)

SteveMFr wrote:
If you've removed the voice control module then that's your problem. The 3 mic wires go directly to the Phone module (BITII or ULF) w/o the voice control module but are diverted into the vcm when fitted - from there 3 other wires go back out and continue to the ULF.

Isn't this what I have been saying? Shocked Anyway as mentioned dont leave both new ULF and old voice module connected for too long other than to test a phone call NOT voice commands Rolling Eyes

As I understood it if you had the old siemens phone fitted with the cordless handset in the centre console (as I did) then you definately had the voice module. If you didn't have the phone kit supplied as a factory option then the phone wiring loom was only factory installed in model years 02 & 03, this loom had the 54pin plug and the 26pin plug for the voice module and a mic up front in antisipation that dealers would be able to sell it as an upgrade/accessory. The wiring loom was dropped as standard from 04 onwards due to low up take hence the reason why from 04 onwards the "face" button on the steering wheel to control the voice commands was also missing.

Net result is this an easy problem to resolve. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.

Post #47494 25th Jan 2011 8:19pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Ajay(UK) wrote:

Isn't this what I have been saying? Shocked Anyway as mentioned dont leave both new ULF and old voice module connected for too long other than to test a phone call NOT voice commands Rolling Eyes

Huh. Sorry - didn't mean to step on your toes... Laughing

Leaving them both connected doesn't really pose any great potential for damage. Both modules simply transform voice commands into i-Bus commands. It's actually kinda funny to have a schizo car. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #47515 25th Jan 2011 9:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>