Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Resale values
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

[quote="JAYBOY"]I also cant see how Land Rover can over me 62k and be advertising the same cars on their web site for 75-87K.
Its just not right :

It does seem harsh but what they try their hand with initially and what they actually sell for are often miles apart. I am able to view one particular franchises vehicles. The siv price, the asking price and the prep price and sometimes there are very large margins and other times hardly any margin at all but you have to buy (second hand) when you see the right car at a price that is sensible. I have just bought a similar car to yours (maybe a few months older and a few thousand miles more) but at a price I can live with in the knowledge it’ll still drop a fair bit more but not like a stone. I’d suspect yours will still be worth the thick end of £45k - £50k when it’s three.

Post #458973 30th Nov 2017 12:03am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

The depreciation will level out - it always does. Trust me after 16 of them I know where I am.

The problem is don't buy a brand new one and sell after only 12 months - you will get a financial kicking. The main loss is also the VAT - there's around £17k in VAT on your £100k RR. I.e. The car is only £83k the rest is VAT. You can wipe that out straightaway as soon as you drive out of the showroom - as most dealers work on the margin scheme.

In real vehicle value terms you have only lost £20k (£83k - £63K) the rest is VAT. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #458974 30th Nov 2017 12:07am
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

Quote:
The problem is don't buy a brand new one and sell after only 12 months - you will get a financial kicking. The main loss is also the VAT - there's around £17k in VAT on your £100k RR. I.e. The car is only £83k the rest is VAT. You can wipe that out straightaway as soon as you drive out of the showroom - as most dealers work on the margin scheme.

Sorry I don't buy into the VAT argument. It's basic economics - Why pay anywhere near list for a car you didn't spec, is 'old' shape, its history unknown (maybe a lemon if the owner is parting with it so soon). You don't lose the VAT on a 911R or the like. That always seems an argument the dealers make to explain the kicking you're about to get. Selling after 12 months is crazy. Keep it 3 years and lose 50% if you're lucky.

Just specced an 115k MY18 SC. I'd be lucky to get 80k after 12 months, but 55k after 36 I can live with.

Post #458988 30th Nov 2017 5:42am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

What Pixelpower said.

The used price is influenced purely by a combination of supply and demand, the desirability of the individual spec and colour, the dealer’s current used stock holding and the availability of discounts and manufacturer supported finance offerings on new examples. It’s far easier for the dealer to present it as being the unavoidable fault of everyone’s favourite bogeyman, HMRC (and especially VAT), than it is to lay the blame closer to home.

Buying at 12 months old is a good idea, but not always the panacea. When I bought this RR I did look at 12-18 month old examples, but each one had various reasons to be concerned about how it had been treated in year one, while there was no way of getting the spec that I really wanted. At dealer prices, it seemed a lot of money to spend on a used car with a lot of comprises and a significantly reduced manufacturer’s warranty term. You pays your money and takes your choice. The fact that mine was part funded by a Land Rover Assited Vehicle Change, which was especially generous for a new vehicle and Land Rover’s PCP contribution was available, helped to greatly soften the depreciation blow.

Post #459001 30th Nov 2017 9:24am
Basilfawlty

It's lovely to buy brand new and spec a car exactly as you want but the big problem with buying brand new is that your current shape car is only current until the next update, just ask those who have bought the MY17 only for the face-lift to come around. And it's comes at a price, albeit a price that the new owner may well have been happy to pay. This thread was started by someone who was a new car buyer and was informing us of the potential pitfalls of buying new cars in the present climate.

I do agree that LR treat you differently dependant upon whether you've bought new or used but not significantly so in my experience. In fact on balance I think LR are a fair Manufacturer, especially having experienced Audi recently. I change my cars often, so it would be madness to buy new for me personally but nonetheless I still very much enjoy the new (to me) car experience and the two year guaranteed warranty is certainly more than adequate for my needs.

Truth is it takes both kinds of buyers (new and used) to make the world go around; without one there'd be no reason for the other, so long may it continue.

Post #459024 30th Nov 2017 11:49am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

It's funny that you should raise the issue of a model year going out of date as that's exactly what mine did within a month of buying my new one! Rolling Eyes

Although I did know it was coming and the dealer did remind me that model year changes are normally accompanied by price rises and a number of things that were standard are often relegated to the options list, as indeed turned out to be the case. What came as a shock was the things that were no longer available, at any price. But that's in great danger of wandering off topic... Rolling Eyes

Post #459025 30th Nov 2017 12:00pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Can’t wait for the early L405s to get to £20k Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #459028 30th Nov 2017 12:58pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

That will be at least another week ........ Big Cry

Post #459030 30th Nov 2017 2:10pm
plumpmoose

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

The loss is only technical if you are running via somesort of balloon lease/pcp. Keep to the terms and it is JLRs problem not yours.

Suspect you enquired when they don't need the stock or feel they can bid you in the knackers and see if you are mad enough to take it.

I know the hastle of a private sale (for high end anything is fraught with issues), but if private sellers and private buyers could get together these huge margins that dealers take when selling would narrow significantly. Pigs will probably be flying before this happens and car dealers know this.

Post #459031 30th Nov 2017 2:12pm
Basilfawlty

It's a funny thing selling high price cars as a private seller and it's something that I generally shy'd away from because I'm aware there are lots of people out there who just want to mess you around and for the most part you can usually get a good part ex from a motivated dealer.

In my case with my last tdv6 VSE I was about to part ex it when I had a change of mind and put it up on here and eBay. 12 hours later a FFRR L322 owner commits to buy at the asking price from the eBay add (which is the only price I'd have sold for). Then after three days wanted to reduce the price to two grand less than I'd been offered part ex. Honestly.

On a brighter side I put in on Autotrader a month later for a thousand more than I'd been asking on here and had buyers literally queueing to buy it. A day after it going on sale a trader bought it for three grand over trade, which was the price I'd originally had it up at and he sold it the next day to another buyer who had offered me three grand more than I'd just sold it to the dealer for, half an hour earlier. I put the buyer in touch with the trader the same day but the car had already been sold.

So my advice is to give a private sale a chance for the sake of a £50 advert but just be aware that there are plenty ar Censored oles about and have the part ex price as a back stop. 2016 SDV8 Autobiography
And several others previously.

Post #459033 30th Nov 2017 2:31pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Thanks Chaps I don't feel so bad now.
I'm just going to enjoy driving around in luxury for the next two years and not worry about the value of the damn thing. 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #459080 30th Nov 2017 8:04pm
Mariana Black

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Mariana Black

Nice comment above. Thumbs Up
If you have these toys then you expect the drop in valve, if not then buy a different vehicle Shocked
Enjoy it while you can. Smile
I only managed mine when sadly my mum passed away. Its bring joy and happiness ever drive. That to me is important. Wink

3.0 Autobiography 14.5M

Post #459090 30th Nov 2017 9:02pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Well dont say no one told you all, diesel has always been a bad idea, petrol every day.

Good job all my cars are Petrol!! Thumbs Up

Post #459121 30th Nov 2017 11:47pm
Basilfawlty

Not the most pleasant quote I’ve seen today. Hope you are still of the same opinion when you get a part ex quote on your SVA. I’d be very surprised if you will be as well insulated as you think. Whistle

Post #459125 1st Dec 2017 12:20am
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I wont be that bothered as i will have enjoyed every mile and that's worth every penny, and at least i wont have left the fella behind in a cloud of smoke!!

Cars are not an investment but an extravagance, so they should be enjoyed. No point fretting about something you have no control over. If you are that worried buy a bike.

Just my view obviously Thumbs Up

Last edited by DrF on 1st Dec 2017 12:31am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #459126 1st Dec 2017 12:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>