Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Steering wheel telescopic fail - fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheet22

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
Steering wheel telescopic fail - fixed

My steering telescopic function failed recently. I found many posts around the tilt function but far less around the telescopic so posting this, my symptoms and solution for others.

Symptom is simple - steering wheel can be pulled in and out manually and you can almost hear stripped threads as you do so. The motors still work when you pull lever, in fact motors try to run and run when entering and exiting as they try to move wheel in and out, so you have to pull the level just to stop them running on and on. But worse issue for sure is that wheel is not secured and under breaking flies in so pretty dodgy really.

If you remove lower cowl from wheel with torx T20 driver (a longish one as one screw is quite deep set) and look under colum as you pull wheel in and out you should see a threaded bar that is just sliding through a black block that is secured in a metal frame. That black block is threaded so as motors turn bar, it moves column up and down using that block, run motors and see it just turning too. So the problem is that failed little block, which is actually a removable hard plastic thing.

The fix was pretty straight forward, took me about 40 mins in all, but this is really because access is tight.

First you need this part of a nice German chap called Ulrich. He is very responsive and posted mine quickly so I had it in three days.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-L322...2ca2636988

When it comes, you will first think, how much for that! But it's value is in the fact it saves a really expensive new column! I know Ulrich has explained too that he had to spend time and money to make the thing reliably too.

Anyway, with part in hand, here are steps I used. Sorry no pics.

1. Remove lower cowl from steering wheel - there are three T20 torx screws and you will need a long 75mm thin shank driver for one of them. I bought a screwdriver set from screwfix for £11 as my usual socket set was too wide to fit

2. Pull up and off, upper cowl and peel rubber bellows back.

3. Remove centre console lower side panel, to left of driver foot. One screw at rear and the panel clips off carefully.

4. Remove kick panel above pedals. Mine had three screws again all T20 torx. Panel pulls down and to left but you have some wires to light and speakers. I left them attached and just pulled panel down enough to get room.

5. Now you need a small Allen key to remove two bolts. If you look at threaded spindle that is moving through block too easily, the screws are part of a clamp that holds threaded spindle to column. It's awkward but very doable from underneath. They are silver.

6. Once off you can feed spindle up through failed block and out the straw like stick from motor. Then pull spindle and block free from car downwards

7. Thread new block onto spindle - its tight but grease and pliers get it on. Just put it on far enough so thread reaches end of block.

8. Feed spindle with new block attached to straw like stick and make sure it goes in. Then push block end into opening in column. Once in, replace two screws and apply more grease to spindle.

9. Replace all trim as per removal and you are done.

Post #350560 4th Oct 2015 8:17am
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

Nice write up Thumbs Up

Ulrich is a member on here and a really nice and knowledgeable chap, I've spoken to him and he is very helpful with compressor problems.
His handle is Meerbush I think!

Thumbs Up

Post #350565 4th Oct 2015 9:13am
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

@Cheet22, thanks a lot for the wonderful translation, now I can print this translation and can give it to each item! Best wishes and regards from Düsseldorf in Germany, Uli TDV8 4.4 from 2012, 278.000km like new + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #350758 5th Oct 2015 4:26pm
Bagus

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Have just tackled this repair and whilst there was a lot of swearing. I now have a fully functional telescopic steering column. A lot cheaper than a replacement column and a few hours labour.

Here are a few pics.

I needed a longer T20 to remove the centre screw from the lower steering wheel cowl. It was more like 11mm than 75mm as suggested. Fortunately the gap is not that narrow so I could built one around 12mm from my trusty Halfords set and torx bit set.

The hardest part was undoing the 2 allen screws from the bottom of the threaded spindle. I found using a hex bit with a ratchet wrench worked the best to get the bolts loose and then I finished it off with an allen key. Quit tricky to get light as well as unscrew. My small inspection torch was often held in my mouth or somehow balanced in my fingers.

Off to a good start with all 3 trim pieces removed

Click image to enlarge

Hard to see but the Allen screws holding the spindle on are behind the wires.

Spindle with the worn block.

Why they made this from plastic is beyond me. Surprised it lasted this long.

New block carefully threaded on till the spindle reached the end.

Post #462553 29th Dec 2017 12:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1