Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Trading up to 405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor
Trading up to 405

I think the title says it but I have a couple or more of grey areas which need sorting out in my mind before I take the plunge.

1. Should I buy new - depreciation has always put me off, is there a counter thought?
2. I need a towbar, my thoughts are with electric and deployable but are there other options?
3. Is the ICE in 2013/14 cars really as bad as some make it sound (no pun intended) as a guide - is it better than my 2010 322?
4. Is "Approved used" worth it?
5. Is the new 3.0 diesel really bad? - I drive like Father Brown so it seems a good option as I really dislike visiting petrol stations, with current car I'm never away!
6. Vogue, Vogue SE or Autobiography - I currently have AB but it doesn't have many bells and whistles just RSE which I never use and climate front seats but the drivers one is broken anyway.
7. I've always paid cash for my cars but is there a compelling financial argument in favour of PCP or HP

So many questions, its why I haven't swapped already Confused Geoff

Post #468108 11th Feb 2018 2:02pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

1. i find nearly new works best for me .

4. approved is worth its weight in gold if only just for peace of mind .

5. 3.0 is great , you should drive one .

6 Vogue SE is a great compromise.

Post #468110 11th Feb 2018 2:18pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I’m usually nearly new - but my likes are fairly easy to find - if you have specific requirements the new is the way to go - may also be worth it if you like the facelift

Electric towbar is Cool and prohibitively expensive to retrofit - there is a detachable option, but a bit more fiddly

The basic ICE system is lacking IMHO and I’m not an audiophile- I deliberately targeted VSE (or AB) as they have the mid spec system as standard.

Approved is worth it if you have a nearly new car IMHO - as it ages and increases in mileage, the premium is hard to justify for me, so I didn’t extend mine.

Are there any bells that you require ? For me it was the 825w ICE, for my wife it was cooled seats, so VSE became the minimum spec -yes you could add them to a Vogue, but it meant I had to read every advert and I’m too lazy

The 3.0 is a nice engine - there’s some noise about failures, but a very low percentage - I went SDV8 but tow a lot

Post #468116 11th Feb 2018 3:23pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Buy a nice 12-18 month old car that is at a great price with the spec you need. As Alistair says, retro-fitting tow bars are expensive so buy one with it already fitted.

I currently have the SDV8 AB and it's lovely but I've owned several TDV6's and I'm a big fan of the engine. Both engines are good but in different ways so for me I pick the car that suits the bill for me in terms of price, spec, colour and condition and whichever engine it comes with I'm content. If pushed to choose I'd edge towards the TDV6 as it's so refined and has enough push when you need it despite what the nay-sayers say.

For what I personally require the VSE is almost spot on (save for the winged headrests and parking heater). I consider it the sweet spot of the range. However, as money isn't as much of a consideration as value I choose either a VSE or an AB, which represents the best value. As I buy often, I know that the differential in used prices can range from 8-10K between a VSE and an AB age and mileage adjusted. However, occasionally you can find a better deal as I did this time with my current car car and so an SDV8 AB was the way to go this time. Good luck with the purchase and for what it's worth I'd travel for the right car. Thumbs Up 2016 SDV8 Autobiography
And several others previously.

Post #468188 11th Feb 2018 9:20pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
Re: Trading up to 405

supershuttle wrote:
1. Should I buy new - depreciation has always put me off, is there a counter thought?

Matter for you. You'll surely find a nice used one.

supershuttle wrote:
2. I need a towbar, my thoughts are with electric and deployable but are there other options?

Plenty used L405 on the market with the electrically deployable towbar. There's an LR technical bulletin/ update for it to deploy correctly, so make sure that's done before you buy.

supershuttle wrote:
3. Is the ICE in 2013/14 cars really as bad as some make it sound (no pun intended) as a guide - is it better than my 2010 322?

It is not bad at all. The L405 ICE is very good and will probably feel more modern/ like evolution to you by comparison to the 2010 L322.

supershuttle wrote:

Not necessarily because of the pre-sales preparation of the car. More so because of your rights if something goes awry. Large dealer groups deal with so much volume can fall down on the pre sale 'devil in the detail' that the RR enthusiast might like/ expect when spending a large amount on a car. However, there can be more scope for you to escalate problems and they can perhaps have greater capacity to absorb the cost of defect rectification/ dissatisfaction.

supershuttle wrote:
5. Is the new 3.0 diesel really bad? - I drive like Father Brown so it seems a good option as I really dislike visiting petrol stations, with current car I'm never away!

Having long term, back to back owned the L322 4.2SC, the L322 4.4TDV8 and the L405 3.0TDv6, the 3.0 is as good as any of those engines (never towed in any of them). It's brilliant. When needed, the car feels nimble, agile and responsive at the front with less roll than the L322. You won't always feel like you're filling the 3.0 up. A full tank of fuel seems to go a long way.The 3.0 L405 is a pleasure to drive in any road conditions without need for any optional gadgetry IMO.

This thread deals with crankshaft queries around the L405 3.0 TDv6:
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic45832.html

supershuttle wrote:
6. Vogue, Vogue SE or Autobiography - I currently have AB but it doesn't have many bells and whistles just RSE which I never use and climate front seats but the drivers one is broken anyway.

Looked for a 4.4 AB or VSE L405. Nothing else would do. Travelled far and wide. After months of looking at what should have been dream cars but were in fact very badly looked after and presented, stumbled across a 3.0 Vogue. It was highly spec'd with low mileage. Spec was good as, if not better than, a VSE. Head and shoulders above the 4.4 offerings we had seen. So 2 Vogue's in a row after inadvertently finding them some distance away (predecessor to current L405 was a 4.4 diesel L322 Vogue. Also nicer than the slightly higher spec'd offerings seen at the time).

Hope this assists.

Thumbs Up

Post #468192 11th Feb 2018 9:40pm
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

I have towed up to 3000kgs (car on trailer) with my 3.0 TDV6 no issue at all. 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Last edited by JamesD on 28th Feb 2018 8:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #470176 26th Feb 2018 6:53pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

300 kg? Shurely Shome mistake? 3000kg maybe?

Post #470181 26th Feb 2018 7:52pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Bear in mind that the electric tow bar will limit you to 1 tonne off road and you’ll have no options beyond the standard tow ball (so no towing pins or anything useful for recoveries).

Check the difference in the seating between the Vogue and the VSE/AB. The seats aren’t the same and that might be important to you.

Post #470187 26th Feb 2018 8:34pm
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

JamesD wrote:
I have towed up to 300kgs (car on trailer) with my 3.0 TDV6 no issue at all.

yep should read 3000kgs Smile 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #470422 28th Feb 2018 8:29pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Basilfawlty wrote:
Buy a nice 12-18 month old car that is at a great price with the spec you need. As Alistair says, retro-fitting tow bars are expensive so buy one with it already fitted.

I see 3 electric towbars on ebay right now with the full armature so might buy one, do we think theres much else to fit other than switch and bumper mod?

One has 30 day return so maybe worth a punt. all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #470604 1st Mar 2018 8:04pm
CUE99T

Scotland 
Re: Trading up to 405

supershuttle wrote:

I wouldn't tbh.....plenty used to choose from but unless you have a real spec you just don't think you'll get then maybe.

supershuttle wrote:

Electric all the way!! Surprisingly not a lot out there!! Some adverts don't show them and yet have them.

supershuttle wrote:

I think my VSE has 825, but not sure. It's meridien and sounds good to me and I like the tunes right up when in the car with the kids!! Mans Not Hot never sounded so good!!

supershuttle wrote:

IMHO yes.....high miles stay away from unless some form of warranty.

supershuttle wrote:

I think 3.0 is ideal tbh. I've got the 2013 version of the car and I even liked the newer one when I had a loan car but I drove V12 cars before and like the noise etc and I think my next will be an SC.

supershuttle wrote:

I think VSE is the sweet spot, and really not sure why people buy AB but maybe thats because I didn't want to spend that much last time....but reckon I'll be 6 figures next time for my SC. (Sad face)

supershuttle wrote:

7. I've always paid cash for my cars but is there a compelling financial argument in favour of PCP or HP

I always finance anything over 40k tbh as there is benefits of credit consumer act and bargaining with dealers etc, as I reckon you can do more with your cash than having it in a depreciating asset....unless you own a 1967 GTB 4 Cam Ferrari.....lol all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #470606 1st Mar 2018 8:14pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Looking at the spec, the SDV6 is only a bit shy of the 3.6 TDV8 in both bhp and torque, yet is a good deal lighter. I haven't driven it, but my 3.6 is an excellent tow car so can't imagine the SDV6 would be much different in terms of towing performance - probably better.

Post #471084 4th Mar 2018 11:07pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Hi Supershuttle Geoff

Did you get the go forward with you purchase then? Thumbs Up l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #471187 5th Mar 2018 5:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1