Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Heated Seats Keep Turning Themselves Off?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Heated Seats Keep Turning Themselves Off?

We take our dogs out every morning for a walk in the countryside.

At this time of year when the weather is cold, 10 minutes prior to departure, my wife starts the engine on our 2007MY L322 V8 Petrol in order to warm the car up, at the same time switching the heated steering wheel and heated seats on.

However, when I get in the car approximately 10 minutes later, the seats appear to have turned themselves off!

This doesn't always happen but does so about 50% of the time - Is there a reason for this?

Maybe there is a setting switched on that causes this to happen?

Does anyone know why this would be?

Many thanks

Allister

Post #461464 19th Dec 2017 9:09pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

id say there is a fault of some kind pal , though it usually turns them off a lot quicker than that

Post #461512 20th Dec 2017 2:09pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Mines much the same, worked fine all summer but now I really need it. If it comes on at all its only for about 30seconds before the fan stops spinning. Can anybody help me out - a cold bum is no joke Rolling with laughter
Oh and BTW I don't need telling its faulty - I think I have already figured that out but I would appreciate any thoughts that help me fix it. Very Happy Geoff

Post #461543 20th Dec 2017 5:44pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My recollection from the manual is that because the seats are hard on the battery they switch themselves off automatically if the battery is getting a bit low, it might be worth checking if that is right and, if yes, whether your battery could do with a charge. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #461554 20th Dec 2017 6:45pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

My steering wheel occasionally switches off and won't switch back on again until the ignition is cycled.

Seats never switch off though.

Post #461556 20th Dec 2017 7:09pm
supershuttle

Passenger one works fine all of the time - I've never had a problem with the heated wheel, however, occasionally the screen heater doesn't switch on and I think that may be battery related. I think when it gets a bit warmer I'll strip it down to investigate although as I said it seems to work when its warmer. In the meantime I will charge the battery anyway and see if it makes a difference - Thanks guys Thumbs Up Geoff

Post #461558 20th Dec 2017 7:19pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Lots on this if you use the search function. Also how do.you know if seats are turning off after 10 mins ?? could it be less ? 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #461560 20th Dec 2017 8:12pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Are you sure that it is turning off? Do the lights on the switch extinguish?

Are these heated seats or heated and cooled?

Post #461569 20th Dec 2017 9:40pm
supershuttle

Heated and cooled seats in my case and not 10mins more like 30secs, the lights stay on but the fan stops and the seat doesn't get warm.Thanks to Dolph34, there is plenty on this (I don't know why I didn't use the search in the first place - doh!) Symptoms suggest a cracked air pipe so I'll have a look and see if I can sort out some sort of repair if needed. Both myself and previous owner were not the lightest of people (sorry Mark) and so it seems that the pipe may well be the culprit and certainly worth a look. Can anyone who's done this (and I can see that a few have) help - can I just look under the seat or do I have to remove the back as well (not sure I know how to do this). Geoff

Post #461579 20th Dec 2017 11:05pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi Geoff, back needs to come off and units location is very obvious , just above the rear map pocket geographically. Very straight forward job. Some instructions say you need to remove headrest but this is not necessary. My unit was irreparable but i had a replacement ready.

Regards, John 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #461582 20th Dec 2017 11:35pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

If the lights stay on, then the issue could simply be a crack in the air ducting from the seat fan. The system turns itself off to protect the Peltier cell.

If not, the control boxes are interchangeable between front seats so you could swap those to help diagnosis

Post #461685 21st Dec 2017 7:51pm
aja500

Sorry guys, been away from my computer for the last couple of days - Thank you all for your advice and experience with regards to this problem, seems it's not just me. I'll have a look through all the info above and see if I can pinpoint the problem / solution.

Many thanks again

Allister

Post #461758 22nd Dec 2017 1:51am
supershuttle

I think I hijacked this thread a little (unintentionally - Sorry aja500) so I will hopefully get my seat out over Christmas and report back my findings. Geoff

Post #461769 22nd Dec 2017 8:19am
aja500

No not at all supershuttle - Have a great Christmas

Post #461844 22nd Dec 2017 8:35pm
steveball

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

I've had exactly the same problem and (I think) fixed it this evening.

Symptoms

Heated / cooled seat turns on and lights on control show. Fan under the base of the seat runs for a short while - anything between about 30 seconds and a couple of mins - then the fan shuts off.

The lights on the control stay on, but fan stays off. The fan won't re-start until I cycle the ignition.

Fix

To start with you need to remove the seat. Move the seat fully forward and remove the two torx-head bolts (E12 socket, 10mm socket or spanner at a push) at the back of the runners. Then move the seat fully back and do the same at the front of the runners. The seat is free be tilted forward/back.

Turn the ignition off and leave it off until you're confident everything is reconnected. Good chance of activating an airbag light if you turn the ignition on with something still disconnected.

Tilt the seat fully back and remove all the connector cables from underneath. There are quite a few, presumably for seat controls, motors, heating/cooling and seat-belt pretensioner.

Remove the small trim panel covering the seat belt mount - the belt end, not the 'receiver'. Remove the bolt securing the bottom of the seat belt to the seat frame.

Remove the seat from the car. It's heavy! The next steps are most easily carried out with the seat upside down.

Unclip the leather flap that runs from the seat back underneath the seat base. If the seat is out of the car and upside down it should be obvious how to do this, but there are simply two elastic straps and hooks that clip onto the frame under the seat base.

Remove the white plastic piece that's underneath the flap and runs from one side of the seat to the other. It simply unclips.

Next you need to remove the plastic trim on both sides of the seat base. On the side nearest the centre console, it's obvious enough involving the removal of two torx headed screws and jiggling the cover over the seat-belt receiver. Slightly less obvious on the 'outside' edge, but there are two torx head screws in the bottom and a couple of trim clips that simply pull off.

Now that the two side trim pieces are off you can remove the panel that forms the lower half of the seat back. To do this, gently prise out the lower part of the panel at each side. There are circular holes in the panel - one on each side - that fit over pivot points on each side. Once these are clear, pull the panel down (i.e. towards the base of the seat - that's up if you have the seat upside down!)

Now you can see the pipework and cables for the heating/cooling in the seat back. There is a 'corrugated' plastic pipe in the centre of the seat back and when I felt around it it was clear that it had split. In my case, almost in two. There was on a small piece of pipe still joined keeping the two pieces together.

I managed to use some gaffer tape to rejoin the pipework and seal it. I managed to do so without removing the pipe. I couldn't immediately see how to remove the pipework, although doing so would make for a better repair. It remains to be seen whether a couple of layers of gaffer tape is sufficient to make a durable repair - somehow I doubt it, but we'll see.

Putting everything back is just the reverse of dismantling.

The whole job took about an hour on the driveway in the dark.

In hindsight, another time I might see whether it is possible to remove the lower half of the seat back without removing the seat. The barrier to doing so is that the side trim-panels need to be removed to release the lower pivot points. The 'outside' trim panel should be removable in-situ, but I don't think it will be possible to remove the inside trim-panel because of the proximity of the centre console.

Hope this helps Very Happy Current: 2010 Range Rover L322
Vogue SE, TDV8 3.6, Bournville
-----------------------------------
Now gone: 2002 Range Rover L322
Vogue, TD6, Giverney Green

Post #461876 22nd Dec 2017 10:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>