Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Multi car insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue
Multi car insurance

Hello again,

Trying to sort my insurance online whilst being abroad before I pick my new Vogue we up on the 29th. Looks like Aviva are the best all round deal, as I’m changing to a multi car policy rather than having two different policies running. They are now asking for a cat 5 tracker which with the holidays wouldn’t get fitted in time for pickup. Salesman is suggesting the Land Rover Incontrol built in secure system is the equivalent of a cat 5 tracker and should be accepted by the insurance company?

Is this info correct?
Does anyone else have any other suggestions for good multi car cover ?

Thanks [/b]

Post #462105 24th Dec 2017 7:59pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I with Aviva but they didn’t ask me for a tracker.

If it’s equivalent, then I’d want them to write that on the documentation - a note to the effect that the clause is waived in lieu of InControl or similar

Post #462139 25th Dec 2017 9:44am
Fat Wolfie

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Don’t know if the salesman is right, but it seems like Aviva don’t quite understand just what protection the factory tracker gives ( or maybe they do, and it’s not as good as I think Laughing )

However to my point - I live in a fairly high rated area and previous vehicles of FF value have had to have Cat 5 trackers fitted BUT my FF was accepted with the factory tracker only.

I use A-Plan (site sponsor) and the policy is with Ageas. It might be worth giving them a call, they might be able to use some leverage with Aviva if you take your cover out via A Plan. Or they may have alternative multi car cover to offer you which doesn’t need Cat 5. You may pay more for the insurance but Cat 5 tracker would cost around £500 to instal plus £150a year for the subscription so in effect it would be cheaper to pay another £200 on the headline insurance price and go with someone who doesn’t need the tracker.

My experience of Cat 5 trackers is that they are a pain, as you end up with a separate transmitter fob thing that you need to keep separate from the keys and have to remember to take with you every time you drive the car.

Post #462140 25th Dec 2017 9:54am
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

According to the Land Rover website the Range Rover tracker is Cat 6 see https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/inco...-faqs.html

Post #462141 25th Dec 2017 9:59am
syl

Yep, Incontrol Secure is Cat6. The difference is Cat5 requires you to carry something else as well as your keys, and if you start the car without the something else in the car, the tracker company will know the car has been stolen.

The only benefit is if your car keys are stolen / cloned - but I would put the something else on the key ring anyway so I wouldn't forget it, negating the benefit.

Try the NFU - they were fairly cheap, didn't need a tracker and have an excellent policy too with very good customer feedback. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #462189 25th Dec 2017 10:35pm
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

Just to finish this one up, ended up with a multi car policy FF and a commercial van carrying flammable and other gasses for the same as Land Rover wanted to insure just the FF. site sponsor came back at £1500 for FF and £450 for commercial. Ended up with local NFU office £1200 for both with protected 9yrs NCB, business and personal use for both with wife on both.

Doesn’t have to be garaged and doesn’t require cat 5 tracker as requested with Aviva.

To be fair, I would of gone with NFU as I dealt with a person who listened to what was required and quoted for exactly why we needed. Even if they were a bit more expensive, instead they were cheaper and the service was spot on👍

The clown who called me back from site sponsor would not of got my business even if he had left his attitude at home !

Post #463291 4th Jan 2018 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1