Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 juddering when driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

The plot thickens

Firstly, despite emails stating that it was the rear diff and me jumping up and down because I could see that the diff hadn't been touched I got to see the workshop report that showed that it was the transfer box that had a service bulletin that required draining and replacing the oil twice and a software update. To me this made no difference but it was annoying that it took a week to get LR to approve this work.

Next, I had the wheels balanced at an LR dealer in Gdansk, Poland, and they did an excellent job. All 4 were out of balance, 2 of them up to 50g which is more than enough to feel it and one wheel was not round so this was swapped for the new full-size spare, using the original tyre with about 5 mm tread. This helped somewhat but did not cure the problem.

Next step, back in the UK, was to get the dealer to try another set of wheels and tyres off a brand new car on my car and this made no difference. Then I requested to drive a similar car. I drove a 3 year old TDV6 with 22's and this had a very similar judder to mine, I then drove a brand new SDV8 and this was even worse. The technician was surprised but the conclusion seems to be that they all do it.

I am amazed at this but don't see that I have many options now. Otherwise I love the car but I fear that I have given up on getting it to ride smoother.

Post #480103 4th Jun 2018 11:41am
AlfG

2009 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Hi Jumpin Mouse, I can fully sympathise with you on this.

I bought a 2016 SDV8 L405 with Style 7 22s on a couple of weeks ago and raised during the test drive that the wheels needed balancing. When driving home (1.5 hours away) I was upset because the juddering was still there.

I took the car to my local tyre centre to get the wheels balanced and found that all 4 wheels were dented/buckled. I wasn't impressed as somebody had tried to balance them already and decided they were good enough to put back on when they should have gone in the skip.

The company I purchased the car from agreed to get another set of wheels (albeit used) and assured me they would be fully balanced and 'as new'. I got the wheels swapped but the juddering was still present exactly as you say, intermittently at speeds above 55mph. On closer inspection of the wheels it was apparent they were not only dirty but in shocking condition cosmetically, so the garage agreed to have the wheels fully refurbished during which the wheels would be checked and 100%.

I stated I did not want the car back until the juddering was removed.

I have collected the car today and now the wheels look nice, but the juddering is still very noticeable. I am told 6 technicians have driven the car independently and I allowed the service manager to take the car home to test drive, and all said they couldn't feel any juddering.

Did you get a resolution as this is spoiling what could be a fantastic car?

Post #510907 4th Apr 2019 5:14pm
ggm31v

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

This sounds familiar! Was there ever a resolution?

Post #655509 3rd Feb 2023 6:43pm
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Not for me. Still fighting it, that and brake vibration. I love the car though

Post #655514 3rd Feb 2023 7:16pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

If you have Conti Silents or any silent tyre with the foam
Band, and have had a puncture, they cut out a section of the foam to undertake the repair. The wheel
And tyre wil balance perfectly - but it does create a very very slight vibration at some speeds. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #655527 3rd Feb 2023 9:04pm
ggm31v

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

the tyres dont have the foam inserts in them

Post #655529 3rd Feb 2023 9:14pm
expatmarais

United States 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

ggm31v wrote:
This sounds familiar! Was there ever a resolution?

Sharing that mine was resolved eventually - albeit extreme.
Service manager told me it was a ‘known problem’ and that they had ‘seen a few like this’.
After roughly 6 months off the road during 17 months of ownership, LR said they just couldn’t fix it and offered to buy the car back for a full refund - whereupon it was destroyed under US lemon law.
On the day I returned the car, there was a customer with same model as mine, returning it for same reason.
That particular dealer had seen a number of vehicles with similar outcomes.
It’s now over 5 years ago. Current: 2017 RR Supercharged. 5.0 V8.
Previous: 2012 TDV8 Vogue SE Santorini Black

Post #655530 3rd Feb 2023 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12