Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Mechanical Car Wash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
matlandy

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Mechanical Car Wash

I have tried a search on here but didn't have much luck. Has anybody used or use a mechanical car wash to there FFRR

Post #462598 29th Dec 2017 1:13pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i have.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #462599 29th Dec 2017 1:15pm
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

I did and managed to scrape an alloy on the runners. Took the other halves Disco Sport through one and it ripped the rear spoiler off!

Post #462603 29th Dec 2017 1:41pm
matlandy

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

That's the kind of thing that I was worried about spoilers and mirrors didn't think about the alloys though but I guess they are quite wide. Think I will stick to jet washing it.
Thanks for the advice

Post #462611 29th Dec 2017 2:08pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Had my car professionally detailed recently and the detailer called me to come and have a look half way through the job.

Quite frightening how the car had severe marks from machine washes, which he removed after showing me and from now on I only ever get it hand washed,but, by an accredited valeter as the roadside hand washers mark the cars as well. Thumbs Up

Post #462624 29th Dec 2017 3:07pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

I'd rather leave my car dirty than use a mechanical or 'hand car wash'

Post #462626 29th Dec 2017 3:11pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

If you like shiney paint then stay well clear of any mechanical car wash. They all put minute scratches in the paint and over time it will be dull. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #462635 29th Dec 2017 4:29pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

This is a good question, or at least a good topic..... What is the best way, or at least the most practical way to wash your FFRR?

Personally, I would never use a mechanical car wash...... Where I live there a some very nice East European people who for a few pounds more, will do a much better job.

But they are not without fault either - The chemicals they use are often harsh and will dull paintwork over time and dis-colour other finishes (particularly matt black often found around windscreens on many cars).

So what is the best all year round solution?

I don't mind washing my cars by hand myself, during the Spring, Summer and Autumn but certainly not in the Winter months.

So I'd like to know, what do other FFRR owners find to be the best all year round solution?

Post #462641 29th Dec 2017 6:22pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

I tend to wash my cars infrequently, say every 2-3 months (neither car is driven daily) and will use either a jet wash for the worst of winter or buckets and sponge at other times of the year. I have never used a mechanical car wash.

I’m a bit obsessive when I do clean though and it takes a couple of hours to do in and out. I suspect I’m not the only one on here like that.....

Post #462652 29th Dec 2017 7:27pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Agreed. I've never used a mechanical car wash and (apart from when it is at the dealer's) no-one other than me washes it. I found jet washes seemed not really to get it clean so were a bit of a waste of time for me. I hose the car down with cold water, then go over it with a soft brush on the end of the hose. The wheels are washed in cold water with an old washing up sponge and a wheel cleaning brush. Bits one can't access with the brush on the hose are done with a sponge and cold water. When there is salt on the roads that is it, I just dry the car with a chamois leather after that.

In the spring it gets washed with Autoglym shampoo and then polished, and the wheels are changed over. The wheels are polished when they are off the car.

I don't use wheel cleaners or other chemicals besides the Autoglym shampoo and polish.

Incidentally I find the Autoglym glass polish well worthwhile, polishing the windows inside and out gives a much cleaner feel, it is surprising how much grime collects on the inside. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #462654 29th Dec 2017 8:00pm
Pfazz

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

When my L405 went in to main dealers for first service I looked at the dash cam footage and lo and behold they have a mechanical car wash on hand to clean it up before I got it back. I was very disappointed that in a £450 service t here is not enough margin to have it hand washed. I made my feelings known to the management later but they were not interested and they were of the opinion that the latest model car wash does a faultless job Agueroooooooooo. 93-20
I swear you will never see anything like this ever again....watch it..drink it in.

Post #462657 29th Dec 2017 8:27pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

It is for exactly that reason when any of my cars go to a garage I place a very large DO NOT WASH sign on the dashboard 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #462663 29th Dec 2017 9:50pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Ha Ha, I do that, also get the service advisors to write it all over the job card!

Post #462666 29th Dec 2017 10:10pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I make a point of hand washing any car i actually like. Mechanical washes are a bit iffy with something the size of the Fatty, and those £5 hand wash Romanians just spray your whole damn car in acid, eroding your lacquer over time.

Spend a few quid on AutoGlym and a couple of hours on the front with a bucket and sponge. Helps to keep an eye on your general bodywork too. You'll soon get to know the marks and scratches, and spot any new ones that need attention during the course of pampering the old girl.

Post #462672 29th Dec 2017 11:46pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Andy S wrote:
I tend to wash my cars infrequently, say every 2-3 months (neither car is driven daily) and will use either a jet wash for the worst of winter or buckets and sponge at other times of the year. I have never used a mechanical car wash.

I’m a bit obsessive when I do clean though and it takes a couple of hours to do in and out. I suspect I’m not the only one on here like that.....

I know what you mean Andy S about being obsessive with the cleaning. It takes me on average 4-5 hours to do a proper cleaning job on a car..... Does anyone else clean inside their alloy wheels and hoover the engine bay, or is that just me being a bit weird?

I'm waiting for delivery on a new L405, so can't show you on an FFRR, but attached is the recent finished engine bay hoover on my 2016 Mulsanne Speed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #462677 30th Dec 2017 12:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>