Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Crankshaft issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mz mini

United Kingdom 
Crankshaft issues

Today I popped in to Taunton LR to have a little look see on what was on offer on the Range Rover front
after a while a salesman asked if he could assist I said I was possible in the market for a 4.4 Range Rover he said he only had the 3.0 litre model at the time . We chatted about bodywork and leather colours we then drifted on to LR warranty and crankshaft issues of which he claimed he new nothing Rolling with laughter I asked if a purchased a car over three years old from his garage and the crank failed the aftermarket warranty supplied excludes this item as its a know fault ,to which he suggested I buy a 4.4 to avoid any possible problems ,not filled with too much confidence with his answer Shocked

Last edited by mz mini on 31st Dec 2017 11:58pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #462830 31st Dec 2017 8:11pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Buy a 4.4 - the perfect answer - Bow down rock on !!!! 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #462841 31st Dec 2017 11:41pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Not sure what else you’d expect him to say in response to a concern about the design of the 3.0 - nothing he can really do to reassure you - he can’t write his own warranty etc, so recommending the 4.4 sounds like good advice Thumbs Up

Post #462862 1st Jan 2018 10:55am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Personally speaking and whilst acknowledging that I've heard of the issue, especially on older cars with the 3.0 I think that it seems less of a problem than you perceive it to be. I'm really not sure of what sort of percentage of cars it affects but I'd guess it'd be a small percentage. That said; I've also heard of issues with the SDV8 but that's why there are warranties. I can't believe that LR know about an issue and exclude it from their cover, even approved used cover. But if it concerns you that much buy the V8 2016 SDV8 Autobiography
And several others previously.

Last edited by Basilfawlty on 1st Jan 2018 4:45pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #462872 1st Jan 2018 11:55am
mz mini

United Kingdom 

Thank all I totally agree that the 4.4 is the only safe way to go ,but I am at a loss as to how a LR main dealer can market a car with a inherent catastrophic engine failure problem and not acknowledge it or offer a warranty that covers said fault Thumbs Up

Post #462873 1st Jan 2018 12:01pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I think It might be fair to say that it’s the Internet commentators that have decided it’s an “inherent design fault”, rather than the manufacturer. It’s ironic that the only aftermarket warranty company that considers it as an “inherent design fault” is the one that underwrites LR’s own policies and even then, it seems to be as a result of the rumours that they’ve read on the web; potentially a consumer own goal of epic proportions!

Unfortunately it seems all that it takes is a relatively innocent comment like “I’ve heard of issues with the SDV8” for the vultures to decend on a new victim! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Having said that, buy the V8; it’s what really differentiates it from the D4.

Post #462882 1st Jan 2018 1:18pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Didn't mean to offend RM and lets not forget that I'm an SDV8 owner too. What Im trying to say is that if it were me I would buy whichever car I liked. I personally don't consider the tdv6 an unreliable engine. In my view the chances of having a catastrophic failure would be very slim but any engine can have an issue if you are unlucky but if every tdv6 was a lemon LR wouldn't sell them. Thumbs Up 2016 SDV8 Autobiography
And several others previously.

Post #462903 1st Jan 2018 5:09pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

mz mini wrote:
... the 4.4 is the only safe way to go.. at a loss as to how a LR main dealer can market a car with a inherent catastrophic engine failure problem and not offer a warranty that covers said fault...

Note sure that the 4.4 is the only safe way to go.

Looked at 4.4 and 3.0 for months before buying. The 3.0 received good reviews on this forum with nobody advising to steer clear of it because of crankshaft or other catastrophic issues.

If there is a failure, the LR warranty should cover it provided service schedules are properly followed and the vehicle is in warranty.

LR make bold statements about their A.U cars such as, '... our Approved programme has to go above and beyond to make sure all our vehicles *continue to be up to* this challenge no matter what you put them through.' They can't make bold marketing statements and not expect to be held to them.

Last edited by pld118 on 1st Jan 2018 10:31pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #462905 1st Jan 2018 5:16pm
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Vogue wrote:
Buy a 4.4 - the perfect answer - Bow down rock on !!!!

I was looking at migrating from an old shape Sport into a new shape Sport with the 3 litre engine known for this. After reading this topic on rrsport.co.uk I decided I didn't want that engine. I bought instead a FF 4.4 and am glad I did. Cheaper than the new shape Sport and goes like a train. Thumbs Up

Post #462931 1st Jan 2018 6:11pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Basilfawlty wrote:
Didn't mean to offend RM and lets not forget that I'm an SDV8 owner too. What Im trying to say is that if it were me I would buy whichever car I liked. I personally don't consider the tdv6 an unreliable engine. In my view the chances of having a catastrophic failure would be very slim but any engine can have an issue if you are unlucky but if every tdv6 was a lemon LR wouldn't sell them. Thumbs Up

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression there BF, absolutely no offence taken Thumbs Up

Post #462934 1st Jan 2018 6:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1