Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > HS - Big car park fire in Liverpool. Land Rover started it.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

What kind of extinguisher would you recommend carrying Grofus?

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #463083 2nd Jan 2018 10:30pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Whilst a fire extinguisher might be a good idea would you really want a fire damaged RangeRover in your ownership after it had been repaired. Given the amount of electronics that could be affected by a fire it's possible you could have a "repaired " car that causes you problems for years after the event. I think in such a circumstances I might just let the car burn and claim on the insurance.

Post #463086 2nd Jan 2018 10:54pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Should have put money on being asked that Laughing
BCF would be ideal, but you can't get them any more. They were brilliant and were carried on aircraft before the eejits decided they damaged the ozone. . Completely flawed logic as a raging fire gives off way more nasties me thinks. A 1kg BCF would have put that liverpool car park fire out.
Stay away from dry powder. You'll write a car off emptying one into it. Also abrasive and corrosive so no good near an expensive engine.
Water is no good if any fuel is involved, so I'm leaning towards CO2 rather than foam as it does less damage to the car.
There is no right answer as you don't know what type of fire you have until you need it.
Most car fires start under the bonnet so hedge your bets and get CO2.
If you do have a car fire
1 Call fire service
2 If you can be safe then try to put it out
3 Disconnect the power asap, better still have a battery isolator. If you do have an isolator then do that before tackling the fire.
Buy one and hope you never need it Thumbs Up
Good luck and happy new year to all.

Nice day for it. Whilst In understand your thinking, I'm guessing there are about 1400 folks from Liverpool that might take issue with your logic. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #463090 2nd Jan 2018 11:21pm
GGDR

Thanks I'm ordering a co2 then!

I used to have a Halon extinguisher in my boat's engine bay but they were banned for similar reasoning. Despite being brilliant for a mostly closed engine bay fire, Halon also had the highest ozone-depleting capacity of any chemicals in common use.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #463102 3rd Jan 2018 1:12am
Grofus

Yeah, Halon was another name for BCF in Europe.
BTM was used in the United States, also under the Halon banner.
They were a brilliant fire fighting media. There are still some around but very hard to come by. If you see one snap it up

Edit. Just did a quick research and found this. 2 kg one would be ideal in a car.

http://www.cccme.org.cn/products/detail-3088443.aspx
Group buy maybe. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #463104 3rd Jan 2018 2:42am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Maybe fitting an extinguisher system to the car would be the way to go, I seem to remember that some competition cars have a pressurised plastic pipe going around the engine bay, and when it is exposed to fire it splits and empties the contents of an extinguisher to the hot spot..... wots even better news is it was totally mechanical, so the ffrr electrical gremlins wouldn't get a look in Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #463106 3rd Jan 2018 7:52am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Grofus wrote:

3 Disconnect the power asap, better still have a battery isolator. If you do have an isolator then do that before tackling the fire.

Not to state the obvious, but most of you will already have a battery isolator fitted to the car... the explosive battery coupling, I wonder if there is a way this could be triggered without the need to have a crash.... either a temp sensor that triggers it above a temp that you'd never get under any condition other than a fire... Or a switch in the car that can be triggered at will... obviously it would need a failsafe...

Mr. Green Exclamation

My ffrr came with fire prevention features..... a blocked sun roof drain and leaky tailgate seal... I'm now beginning to think that this might have been a safety feature Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #463107 3rd Jan 2018 8:10am
GGDR

Grofus wrote:
Yeah, Halon was another name for BCF in Europe.
http://www.cccme.org.cn/products/detail-3088443.aspx
Group buy maybe.

Would prefer not to get a Chinese import....

And this one is Hfc-236fa - is this different to CO2 you mentioned earlier up Grofus?

Seems 2kg is the smallest co2 I can find easily. But these are quite large. I was thinking a smaller 1kg that I could fit between the drivers seat and the centre console so I can reach it easily.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #463133 3rd Jan 2018 2:21pm
Grofus

Hfc-236fa is the "new" Halon gas. Not quite as good as earlier stuff but CFC free and better than CO2.
Personally I'd mount it in the boot. You gotta get out of the car anyway. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #463139 3rd Jan 2018 3:26pm
uzp315

I really hope they identify the exact cause of the fire beyond "Range Rover" - i.e. FSR, FBH, careless owner with ciggy, vandalism.
When I lived in Reading, there was a spate of posh cars being set alight, in car parks, on drives, on the street.

Post #463143 3rd Jan 2018 4:13pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I'd have thought that this sort of thing would be better as you don't have to be there to operate it!!

https://stedall.co.uk/product/automatic-fi...-system-2/ Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #463144 3rd Jan 2018 4:22pm
Grofus

For sure Miggit, an automated system would be useful but AFFF relies on good application to be effective. It needs to be laid on not aimed directly at a fire but allowed to fall on. ( a bit like snow) In an engine bay it wouldn't be much better than water. Which, if the fire is because of a fuel leak, could make it worse.
Now that set up with a decent media like Halon or its replacement would be very effective.
Its why they used to have Halon dump installations in computer suites. Very quick knock down, no residue to clean up and no damage to expensive gear. The one small issue with Halon was a slight degreasing effect but that would be no problem on a car. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #463167 3rd Jan 2018 7:07pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

miggit wrote:
I'd have thought that this sort of thing would be better as you don't have to be there to operate it!!

https://stedall.co.uk/product/automatic-fi...-system-2/

Those types of systems work well although if you want something like that probably better off going here: www.firetrace.co.uk.

Post #463180 3rd Jan 2018 8:26pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Interestingly both systems..(the first I found) have the option of triggering a warning light... this could be used to trigger the explosive battery coupling! Extra safe Thumbs Up #

So totally automatic, and as far as the fire suppression goes not reliant on electricity! I wonder how much you could reduce your insurance with such a system?? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #463196 3rd Jan 2018 8:59pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

they saying 20 million in damage payouts Shocked

Post #463198 3rd Jan 2018 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>