Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Rear flexible brake hoses - failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steveball

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville
Rear flexible brake hoses - failure

I've had a failure of rear brake hose today, dumping fluid on the drive. Luckily at home and no real harm done. This time on the left side. About 6 months ago, exactly the same failure on the same hose in the same place on the right. L322 2010 3.6 TDV8.

LH part number LR058025
RH part number LR058026

The failed part has two flexible lengths of hose with a piece of rigid (presumably steel) pipe at an approx 135 degree angle in the middle. Around the rigid section, there is a piece of rubber, which I think is designed to protect the steel pipe against rubbing. In both cases, fluid is leaking from the end of that rubber section nearest to the caliper. When I took the last one off, it was very weak at that point - clearly corroded through, though you couldn't see where because of the rubber covering.

In hindsight, when the RH went last summer, I should have replaced both. At least it was warm with lighter evenings then! As an added complication, the bleed nipple won't release. I just can't budge it. On the RH last summer, the nipple snapped off. On the LH today, it's just rounding off. I replaced the caliper on the RH then; I'll do the LH now.

The pipes do get the worst of all the muck etc. in behind the wheel, but I'm not clear whether the corrosion is from the outside of the pipe or the inside. I've had the car 18 months and not replaced the brake fluid in that time. Despite full main dealer service history from new until I got it, I can't see charges for replacing brake fluid in any of the invoices... That probably means the fluid is 7 years old and has collected moisture to a significant degree.

Have others had similar problems?
What's the collective wisdom about similar hoses at the front? (A simply visual inspection of little value - I did that before - so do I just replace and be done with it?).

Clearly, in hindsight I should have replaced both rears back in June. I'll now be adding brake fluid replacement to my 'jobs' list in case its 7 years old. Unless bleed nipples on the front calipers undo easily enough, that'll be another two calipers, which will make the job more expensive. At least if I do it before failure, I can wait a few days for delivery rather than needing to pay main-dealer prices for the convenience of instant availability.

Click image to enlarge
 Current: 2010 Range Rover L322
Vogue SE, TDV8 3.6, Bournville
-----------------------------------
Now gone: 2002 Range Rover L322
Vogue, TD6, Giverney Green

Post #462915 1st Jan 2018 6:44pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My rear hoses have not failed yet, but there is corrosion on the metal pipework, to date treated by the dealer by coating with waxoyl, my 2004 car failed its MOT on brake hoses and they were replaced at maybe 80,000 miles. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #462922 1st Jan 2018 6:51pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Bear in mind the fronts were the subject of a recal on some years, worth checking as LR should do them for free There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #462930 1st Jan 2018 7:02pm
Joe90

England 

Corrosion will be from the outside!! and their failure is indicative of problems that may be elsewhere also.

You will like the price of new ones, even from Dan!

Suggest you check your rigid brake pipes also, especially those hidden away under the tank cover and plastic covers that run from to back passenger side (RHD) and the pipes hidden behind the Left Front wheel arch covers (and the one that goes around the ABS and brake pad sensor box) and the rear cross pipe. Most of these MOT man cannot see so cannot comment on. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #462932 1st Jan 2018 7:12pm
steveball

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

Thanks all, it seems I am not alone.

Joe - just read though your article on replacing front --> rear pipes with copper. Looks well worthwhile, but not for the fainthearted and definitely a job for warmer weather.

Glad to be reminded of recall on front hoses. I checked when I purchased the car and they'd already been replaced. I've looked at the parts and there is no section of steel pipe to corrode, so perhaps less crucial. Current: 2010 Range Rover L322
Vogue SE, TDV8 3.6, Bournville
-----------------------------------
Now gone: 2002 Range Rover L322
Vogue, TD6, Giverney Green

Post #462933 1st Jan 2018 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1